Beoplay A1 Portable Bluetooth Speakers
Jan 13, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #16 of 22
Does your unit also have a hint of white noise? (thanks) 

Yes, at least mine does. I've contacted B&O and they replied with following message:

We can confirm that the BeoPlay A1 when it's turned ON (product indicator solid white) and no music is playing will output a very low noise. The noise can be heard if you move your ear very close to where the tweeter is located (a inch left from the leather band). When The BeoPlay A1 is OFF (product indicator is off) no noise from the speaker can be heard.

The "noise" heard is what we call "the noise floor" - which is a compromise between the maximum Sound Pressure Level (SPL) and audible noise in paused music Signal to Noise (S/N).

Feb 13, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #17 of 22
The "noise" heard is what we call "the noise floor" - which is a compromise between the maximum Sound Pressure Level (SPL) and audible noise in paused music Signal to Noise (S/N).

The "noise floor" is a more general concept encompassing all noise reaching your speakers from all sources and preventing useful signal at the same level as the total noise (i.e. very quiet) from being heard clearly.

The noise generated in an active speaker setup when no audio signal is coming in is more specifically called "self-noise", as it's generated by the enclosed amplifier.

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #18 of 22
Hey people quick question about the A1's white noise, even though the threat is a bit older...

Can you confirm that the white noise is still audible from 2 feet away and more?
I sit around 1,5 m away from the A1 and the white noise is turning me a bit crazy ... there a loud white noise and a less loud one, it switches back and forth and jumps to a louder hiss and a quieter. Wouldn't be a problem if it stayed with the quieter one but I can clearly hear it switching back and forth. No Bluetooth involved, it's connnected with 3,5mm jack.

May 4, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #19 of 22
Got the new Beoplay P2. Way smaller and lighter than the A1. Fits into a pocket or briefcase pretty easily. Sounds pretty good so far, less bass than the A1 when I tested it in the store. To be expected given the smaller size.

Only problem so far is that the volume level seems very low when used as a speakerphone. Not sure if there is a workaround, but if it can't go louder as a phone, will need to return it.

May 5, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #20 of 22
I've had the A1 for about 2 weeks. I'm very impressed by the bass and overall neutrality. The bass really shines when the speaker is placed near a room corner, it goes surprisingly and satisfyingly deep with no blooming. Can't comment on battery life because of my usage pattern. I haven't noticed any white noise when nothing is playing as I generally use mine to listen to music. Very enjoyable speaker!

Mar 13, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #22 of 22
Hey people quick question about the A1's white noise, even though the threat is a bit older...

Can you confirm that the white noise is still audible from 2 feet away and more?
I sit around 1,5 m away from the A1 and the white noise is turning me a bit crazy ... there a loud white noise and a less loud one, it switches back and forth and jumps to a louder hiss and a quieter. Wouldn't be a problem if it stayed with the quieter one but I can clearly hear it switching back and forth. No Bluetooth involved, it's connnected with 3,5mm jack.
Can confirm that! Mine doesn't switch back and forth like that though, just stays at the same level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back