Balanced XDR cable recommendation for HD800 and Isabellina HPA?
Jan 4, 2013 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Sembiance

New Head-Fier
Hello

I've been using a pair of HD600 headphones for nearly a decade now. I've always just plugged them directly into the computer or iPod, never used an amp before.

My HD600 headphones are not sound very good anymore, so I figure it's time to upgrade.

I've done some extensive research and have just purchased a pair of HD800 Sennheiser headphones.

Next up was to pick the correct DAC and AMP to go along with them.

After some extensive research on these forums, I settled on the Isabellina HPA. (I have not purchased it yet)

This particular amp has an option for a 4-pin XLR balanced output.

From my research on balanced vs single ended (new to me), it certainly looks like I want to go for the balanced connection.

So now I am in the market for a cable for my HD800's that are compatible (my headphones support a 'balanced' cable right?)

It looks like both the Black Dragon and Silver Dragon cables from Moon Audio have a termination option of 'Neutrik single 4 pin Male Gold XLR' which seems to match the description of the Isabellina HPA 'Neutrik 4-pin XLR output jack'

I am new to amps and balanced XLR, so is this correct?

Would that cable and that DAC/AMP work well with my new HD800 headphones?

Which cable should I get? Silver? Black? A different cable vendor entirely? (I prefer to spend less than $500 on a headphone cable)

I mostly listen to classical music, although I also have some folk and some classic 8-bit video game soundtracks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #2 of 2
TLDR Quick Summary version:

Will a 'balanced' XLR cable produce the best experience with the HD800 headphones driven from an Isabellina HPA DAC/AMP?

If so, which heaphone cable should I purchase? Are the Black or Silver dragon cables from Moon Audio a good choice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back