Bakoon HPA-21 headphone amplifier
Jul 26, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #602 of 643
Hi-Head,

It's not that the Bakoon is better than the Metrum or Aqua.

It's more of the fact that it's being mentioned in the breath as a $14k DAC.

But the total cost would be a lot more with those DACs once you factor in power cords, power conditioning, and grounding.

And I agree with Srajan. Bakoon underpriced this DAC. They could've charged 2-3x more.

I have not heard the Adagio. Although I did own a Hex, and I personally found it rolled off at the highs.

I am coming from a Lumin S1 ($10k). And I can say unequivocally the Bakoon is better to my ears.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #603 of 643
Also, if you've gone from a headphone amp using electricity to the HPA-21, you are familiar with the leap in performance, and drop in the noise floor.

The same thing happens with the DAC-21.

In addition, the DAC-21 was voiced with the HPA-21, so you have the synergy there.

If you can get through the verbose 6moons review, his insights on the DAC-21 are spot on.

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #604 of 643
The resolution on the Satri link is utterly incredible.

But I felt it lacked emotional involvement. I have to say my Satri link was not broken in.

I overwhelmingly preferred my Ziro Disclosure interconnects between the Bakoon units.

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #605 of 643
It's not that the Bakoon is better than the Metrum or Aqua.
Oh, yes, to me this all about it!
I have not heard the Adagio. Although I did own a Hex, and I personally found it rolled off at the highs.
I am sorry but these two DACs have nothing in common other than both are NOS type converters. Trust me, the Adagio in combination with my HPA-21 was the best sounding set-up I have ever experienced in my home!
But I will give the DAC-21 a fair chance to shine, I have just contacted the Bakoon distributor in Germany to lent me one unit in early Aug, I will report back.
Best Regards,
Hi-Head

Jul 27, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #607 of 643
Another plus with the HPA-21 and DAC-21 is their size.

I can fit both on a single rack on my Stillpoints stand.

With both, we finally have the Bakoon vision and sound realized.

And it's spectacular.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #608 of 643
I've owned the DAC-21 for several months now and I have to say the synergy with the HPA-21 is lovely.

The low noise floor on the DAC alone gives it an enormous edge on other market offerings that are not decoupled from the AC.

Easily one of the best DACs I've ever owned.

Aug 27, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #611 of 643
do you feel That the sound has more body, better instrument séparation, i don't know.
when i read you i undertstand That This combo match perfectly, please give me some détails...

Aug 27, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #612 of 643
do you feel That the sound has more body, better instrument séparation, i don't know.
when i read you i undertstand That This combo match perfectly, please give me some détails...

Hi Jean-Luc,

The combo just makes music. Period.

To answer your question though, Bakoon is able to do some exquisite things with the sound, as the noise floor of the DAC and HPA-21 are incredibly low.

There is a flow to the DAC. You can just put on your favorite tunes and kick back.

I would point out that the treble is utterly refined and detailed. Just like the 6moons review mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back