B&W P7 Wireless - VS - Audio-Technica ATH-DSR9BT
Apr 6, 2017 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Martynet

New Head-Fier
Hi, is there anyone who tried both of these: B&W P7 Wireless and Audio-Technica ATH-DSR9BT?
At the moment I have ATH-WS99BT for over two years and they are still FANTASTIC, but I would like to step up a bit and I think the best BT headphones at the moment are these two babies. And I can't decide between the two. What I like about the DSR9BT is that you can apparently connect them to the computer and they work (24/96), not just charging. But I read great things about B&Ws and it's also my favorite brand. I use their amazing surround set MT50. Frequency response difference is B&W – 10 Hz - 20.000 Hz and AT – 5 Hz-45.000 Hz. I wish I could test them both but no chance here in Ireland. Please help :)

May 27, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 35
Hi, is there anyone who tried both of these: B&W P7 Wireless and Audio-Technica ATH-DSR9BT?
At the moment I have ATH-WS99BT for over two years and they are still FANTASTIC, but I would like to step up a bit and I think the best BT headphones at the moment are these two babies. And I can't decide between the two. What I like about the DSR9BT is that you can apparently connect them to the computer and they work (24/96), not just charging. But I read great things about B&Ws and it's also my favorite brand. I use their amazing surround set MT50. Frequency response difference is B&W – 10 Hz - 20.000 Hz and AT – 5 Hz-45.000 Hz. I wish I could test them both but no chance here in Ireland. Please help :)
I haven't tried the B&W P7s but I have the DSR9BTs coming tomorrow. I read a pro review saying the 9BTs sound very good due to the direct digital drive.

Aug 21, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 35
Hi, is there anyone who tried both of these: B&W P7 Wireless and Audio-Technica ATH-DSR9BT?
At the moment I have ATH-WS99BT for over two years and they are still FANTASTIC, but I would like to step up a bit and I think the best BT headphones at the moment are these two babies. And I can't decide between the two. What I like about the DSR9BT is that you can apparently connect them to the computer and they work (24/96), not just charging. But I read great things about B&Ws and it's also my favorite brand. I use their amazing surround set MT50. Frequency response difference is B&W – 10 Hz - 20.000 Hz and AT – 5 Hz-45.000 Hz. I wish I could test them both but no chance here in Ireland. Please help :)

Hi Martynet,

I received a few weeks ago the Audio Technica ATH-DSR9BT,
they are a big step ahead for bluetooth headphones, huge improvements in detail, soundstage and imaging compared to the P7 wireless,
though on the bright side (could be tiring for long session of high-pitch power metal, and yet I take them also for power metal as them improves so much over previously existing bluetooth headphones). Goes into the direction of the Ether C, but I think not so bright (I will compare them next to each other during the winter time).

The treble of the ATH-DSR9BT is very impressive, goes very far, is very detailed, yet never sibilliant, a real acheivement.

Re. the levels of detail, soundstage (relatively to what can be obtained from closed headphones) and imaging, the ATH-DSR9BT may be seen as playing in the TOTL class, but by contrast, the level of slam, punch, body does not follow and is not on par with these levels of detail, soundstage and imaging, so the features of the ATH-DSR9BT are not balanced. So by contrast to the levels of details, soundstage and imaging, and expecting balanced the headphones, I often got the impression that they were thin. But actually not really worse when compared to other BT headphones. Their features are just not balanced at all.

An important feature for BT headphones for me is relates to the fact that I mostly need them when moving, doing activities when you can't have a cable, and then I will often bow down to pick up things or do some DIY at floor level, and some pairs of headphones will fall off my head (Parrot Zik is the worse here, and AKG barely aceptable). The Momentum was a real improvement but yet not ideal.
The first headphones that really held well on my head were the P7 wireless. However their pads are not very soft, and I read many people can't stand their clutching force (I was feeling their pressure strongly but I didn't mind).
Here the ATH-DSR9BT improve : they maintain their position on my head as well as the P7, yet their pads are softer and more comfortable, I don't feel any clutching force.

They don't have the issue of the P7 that the lowest volume level can't be heard, and that there is a huge step to the next one which is already too loud. Yet the first, lowest level is already too heavy for certain albums (e.g. loud death metal), which is the case with many headphones, all of this in the context of having the bluetooth output level at the maximum on your smartphone (I don't like having to go back and grabbing my smartphone for lowering the volume. so I need to not put it at the max on the smartphone, which I don'ty like as I fear the ehadphones will need to amplify more a quieter sound, this deteriorate SQ)
The button are bigger and easier to find than with the P7,
but the pause - play button is an over-sensitive touch button, I can't avoid pressing it unintentionally too often.

Both have a simlarly excellent passive isolation, makes ANC superfluous for many daily situations.

My particular impressions are relative to:
- my present collection of BT headphones and in-ears (ranked by liking):
Audio Technica ATH-DSR9BT, Bower & Wilkins P7 wireless, Focal Sparks, Sennheiser Momentum 2 Wireless over ear, Parrot Zik 2, AKG K845BT, AKG Y50BT, Jaybird Bluebuds X, Bose QC35,
- (I don't like the Bose because they smooth so much the sound that they change metal too much, they transform death metal into hardrock, atmospheric black metal into ambient electronic music, etc., but I still use them during turns when my wife drives the car when making long trips and I need to rest and a good ANC against noise, in such case I will not listen to metal with the Bose).

Hoping this helps you,
bidn

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 35
Hi Martynet,

I received a few weeks ago the Audio Technica ATH-DSR9BT,
they are a big step ahead for bluetooth headphones, huge improvements in detail, soundstage and imaging compared to the P7 wireless,
though on the bright side (could be tiring for long session of high-pitch power metal, and yet I take them also for power metal as them improves so much over previously existing bluetooth headphones). Goes into the direction of the Ether C, but I think not so bright (I will compare them next to each other during the winter time).

The treble of the ATH-DSR9BT is very impressive, goes very far, is very detailed, yet never sibilliant, a real acheivement.

Re. the levels of detail, soundstage (relatively to what can be obtained from closed headphones) and imaging, the ATH-DSR9BT may be seen as playing in the TOTL class, but by contrast, the level of slam, punch, body does not follow and is not on par with these levels of detail, soundstage and imaging, so the features of the ATH-DSR9BT are not balanced. So by contrast to the levels of details, soundstage and imaging, and expecting balanced the headphones, I often got the impression that they were thin. But actually not really worse when compared to other BT headphones. Their features are just not balanced at all.

An important feature for BT headphones for me is relates to the fact that I mostly need them when moving, doing activities when you can't have a cable, and then I will often bow down to pick up things or do some DIY at floor level, and some pairs of headphones will fall off my head (Parrot Zik is the worse here, and AKG barely aceptable). The Momentum was a real improvement but yet not ideal.
The first headphones that really held well on my head were the P7 wireless. However their pads are not very soft, and I read many people can't stand their clutching force (I was feeling their pressure strongly but I didn't mind).
Here the ATH-DSR9BT improve : they maintain their position on my head as well as the P7, yet their pads are softer and more comfortable, I don't feel any clutching force.

They don't have the issue of the P7 that the lowest volume level can't be heard, and that there is a huge step to the next one which is already too loud. Yet the first, lowest level is already too heavy for certain albums (e.g. loud death metal), which is the case with many headphones, all of this in the context of having the bluetooth output level at the maximum on your smartphone (I don't like having to go back and grabbing my smartphone for lowering the volume. so I need to not put it at the max on the smartphone, which I don'ty like as I fear the ehadphones will need to amplify more a quieter sound, this deteriorate SQ)
The button are bigger and easier to find than with the P7,
but the pause - play button is an over-sensitive touch button, I can't avoid pressing it unintentionally too often.

Both have a simlarly excellent passive isolation, makes ANC superfluous for many daily situations.

My particular impressions are relative to:
- my present collection of BT headphones and in-ears (ranked by liking):
Audio Technica ATH-DSR9BT, Bower & Wilkins P7 wireless, Focal Sparks, Sennheiser Momentum 2 Wireless over ear, Parrot Zik 2, AKG K845BT, AKG Y50BT, Jaybird Bluebuds X, Bose QC35,
- (I don't like the Bose because they smooth so much the sound that they change metal too much, they transform death metal into hardrock, atmospheric black metal into ambient electronic music, etc., but I still use them during turns when my wife drives the car when making long trips and I need to rest and a good ANC against noise, in such case I will not listen to metal with the Bose).

Hoping this helps you,
bidn

Great review bidn!!

Aug 22, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #5 of 35
Aug 22, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #6 of 35
IMG_0023.JPG
i have both but my p7 still wired version
i used the ath-9bt everyday ... really comfort to my ears , much better than p7
for sound ... well i love them both :p

Aug 22, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #8 of 35

i have both but my p7 still wired version
i used the ath-9bt everyday ... really comfort to my ears , much better than p7
for sound ... well i love them both :p

Well I'm sure the P7 wired sounds better than the P7 Wireless, but not sure if better than ATH-9BT on sound? I'm guessing yes since my own experience with the P7 wired left me wanting more, and by more I mean less bass, more clarity, and (I think?) a wider soundstage. Can't remember now if it was wide on soundstage or not.

Aug 22, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #9 of 35
Well I'm sure the P7 wired sounds better than the P7 Wireless, but not sure if better than ATH-9BT on sound? I'm guessing yes since my own experience with the P7 wired left me wanting more, and by more I mean less bass, more clarity, and (I think?) a wider soundstage. Can't remember now if it was wide on soundstage or not.

ah sorry i mean the comfy is much better than p7 wired ( i used p7 wired for +- 2 hours .. ears kinda warm and tired :p )
but i used 9bt for 7 hours @ flight back from japan to my country ... my ears didn;t tired or warm at all

and for the sound .. i love both of them

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #10 of 35
ah sorry i mean the comfy is much better than p7 wired ( i used p7 wired for +- 2 hours .. ears kinda warm and tired :p )
but i used 9bt for 7 hours @ flight back from japan to my country ... my ears didn;t tired or warm at all

and for the sound .. i love both of them

Oh ok. I'd have to hear them both to decide for myself, but to me it sounds like I'd prefer the 9bt.

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #12 of 35
Note that the P7 wireless got quite softer earpads, so naturally should be more comfortable than the wired version. Of course the earpads can be bought separately. The headband isn't also difficult to "fix", so you can regulate their clamping force. Also all the reports said that the wireless version offers some improvement in the sound.
So as you guys know the P7 is a V-shaped sound, while the DSR9BT is much more neutral, so it's also a matter of what you prefer. But DSR9BT surely offers better sound clarity and details, but sadly the price was too high for me to consider them.
Just my 2 cents :)

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #13 of 35
that would be a good idea , well if you have a wide range of option for another headphones , try audition B&O H7/H9 since they're at the same range of prices. cmiiw

My 99 Cs were $309, and I don't think I wanna go any higher right now, or else I would go for the MJ2s first since they're only $500 vs. other pricier options like the 9bts, B&W P9s, Mr. Speakers AEON, etc.

Mehh, I'm done with B&O I think. I got the the B&O H6 2nd Generation last September. I think they were the first headphones to really outdo my AKG K55X headphones (yes, I've had ALL of the K55X 'phones at one time or another, and they sound exactly the same to me lol), and I planned to keep them for a long time. But they let me down b/c of poor comfort. The headband is ribbed on the bottom side, which tended to poke into my head. And the ear pads...............over-ear? Nice try B&O. lol IMO they were most certainly on-ear, which I hate. So despite prob being as good as my 99 Cs are now (though 99 Cs might be better), they had to go. A friend of mine who bought them (H6) as well based on my suggestion felt the same way, and he got rid of his as well. And I've read that the H6s are superior to any other B&O model, so yeah. lol The Meze 99 Classics actually had the same issue initially. Several customers complained to Meze about the ear pads being too small, so Meze did what B&O didn't...........they listened! Late last year they enlarged the ear pads, and so when I got my pair in May, I'd gotten the newer ones. I'm sure that if they hadn't, I very likely wouldn't have kept them.

I'm honestly ok with wired headphones. I could never listen to wireless ones if I knew they had a wired option that would improve the sound. That's why I'd prob never buy the 9bts, b/c reviews have said they sound better wired. lol Even if they didn't, there are others that do. But if someone asked me tomorrow for a great BT headphone that sounded amazing, and they had $550 to spare, I'd recommend the 9bts above ANYTHING else for sure!

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #14 of 35
Note that the P7 wireless got quite softer earpads, so naturally should be more comfortable than the wired version. Of course the earpads can be bought separately. The headband isn't also difficult to "fix", so you can regulate their clamping force. Also all the reports said that the wireless version offers some improvement in the sound.
So as you guys know the P7 is a V-shaped sound, while the DSR9BT is much more neutral, so it's also a matter of what you prefer. But DSR9BT surely offers better sound clarity and details, but sadly the price was too high for me to consider them.
Just my 2 cents :)

Initially a few years ago when starting my "adventure" into all this Hi-Fi stuff, I thought I wanted a great sound with plenty of bass. But I soon realized that there was a fine line b/t enough bass and too much bass, and that is only part of the story. So for a long while after that I focused primarily on neutral headphones like AKG b/c they didn't have too much bass. But then I realized with the Blue Lola and MOST ESPECIALLY with my current Meze 99 Classics that if you have a headphone that can CONTAIN the bass properly (with the help of a great custom EQ lol), then you CAN enjoy lots of bass as all that matters is its kept under control. So now I feel like I have everything, and sacrificing NOTHING in return. So yeah, I definitely don't like V-shaped sound, but I don't want a totally neutral sound signature either anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back