Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP with ESS9018KM + 2.5mm Balanced Out)
May 30, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #1,352 of 1,991
I have a fat32 lexar 64gb class 10 and I think so far I experienced stuttering about 10 songs already. Not sure if the problem is on the sd card or firmware. Tried playing the song on pc, and it doesn't stutter

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #1,353 of 1,991
Once again, I would suggest do a little troubleshooting yourself first, instead of buying another expensive SD Cards.

From my own personal experience, the same card that play out fine on a PC or most DAPs, may not necessarily works well with another DAP.

I had my own fair share of various SD Cards problems with some DAPs. But so far, they were solved.

Things to try:-
1. If you can, try use small 16GB or 32GB SDHC Card (FAT32 Format) instead of 64GB or larger size SDXC (exFAT), for the purpose of testing.
2. Copy just a few files (those that you already identified got issues) instead of all your song collection ( don't waste time, since this is just to confirm what is the problem).
3. Remove all album arts and id tags.
4. Re-RIP your CD songs collection once again, or try RIP using a different software.
5. Be patient and Good luck.

May 30, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #1,355 of 1,991
To add to what @puppyfi has said, those who are suspecting their cards can follow these steps to avoid doubting their cards.
  1. Format the card with SD formatter found here. Make sure to use overwrite option. This will confirm that your card is not corrupted.
  2. Format the card with Aune's utility here. This should make it fully compatible with Aune DAPs.
  3. Copy some test files that produced stutter and see if it persist.
  4. Copy some files that were not stuttering and see if they produce any stutter.
if still stutter is persistent, m1s firmware might be to blame. Please keep in mind that digital music can get corrupted between multiple copy and paste operations. So as suggested by puupyfi, you may want to re-rip some albums if the same albums/tracks produce stutter.

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #1,356 of 1,991
I am still using the default firmware. I don't experience any issues. Any other reason, feature wise, for me to update to newest firmware?

May 31, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #1,359 of 1,991
May 31, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #1,360 of 1,991
Sound is improved, volume can go louder, no more split second cut off
In what way is the sound improved? It would be great if you could provide more detail :)

May 31, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #1,361 of 1,991
I had the worst experience in listening to this DAP last night. I was listening with my Vido earbuds (SE) and I put the DAP in my loose pocket when the sound suddenly became pure white noise in the loudest possible volume there is! It's as if some wild animal scratched my brains out that I had to jump, flip my head, and end up having my heart racing and my body shaking. It was so frightening it took me a couple of minutes to calm down myself. I unplugged the earbuds, plugged it in again, and surprisingly it was still working despite the extremely loud volume. If I was wearing an in-ear that time, I would've probably end up deaf. Maybe there's some hardware issues with my unit or I don't know. From time to time I suffer from a sound cut when the DAP is handled in some ways, laid on a surface, or moved.

May 31, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #1,362 of 1,991
I had the worst experience in listening to this DAP last night. I was listening with my Vido earbuds (SE) and I put the DAP in my loose pocket when the sound suddenly became pure white noise in the loudest possible volume there is! It's as if some wild animal scratched my brains out that I had to jump, flip my head, and end up having my heart racing and my body shaking. It was so frightening it took me a couple of minutes to calm down myself. I unplugged the earbuds, plugged it in again, and surprisingly it was still working despite the extremely loud volume. If I was wearing an in-ear that time, I would've probably end up deaf. Maybe there's some hardware issues with my unit or I don't know. From time to time I suffer from a sound cut when the DAP is handled in some ways, laid on a surface, or moved.

Many many years ago, the internal ground (-ve) wire at the speaker output (binding post) of my home power amplifier came loose (dry joint). My speakers produced very loud sound until I powered down my amp. Both the high frequency drivers of my Snell speakers were fried.

I'm afraid your DAP might have some internal short or intermittent grounding problem. Best is to avoid using for now and refer your problem to Aune, see if there are similar cases or just an isolated problem.

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #1,363 of 1,991
Many many years ago, the internal ground (-ve) wire at the speaker output (binding post) of my home power amplifier came loose (dry joint). My speakers produced very loud sound until I powered down my amp. Both the high frequency drivers of my Snell speakers were fried.

I'm afraid your DAP might have some internal short or intermittent grounding problem. Best is to avoid using for now and refer your problem to Aune, see if there are similar cases or just an isolated problem.

Since I've got this DAP, this problem occurred maybe 2-3 times already and I've had this for around 4-5 months now. Not sure what the store will do for warranty but I will ask. The DAP came back to normal but I'm still worried. Anyway, thanks for the advice. :thumbsup:

May 31, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #1,364 of 1,991

Same on both counts. You're not the only one.

The former, I suspect, is some bug in the firmware randomly enabling Line Out.

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #1,365 of 1,991

Quite a scary experience, looks like I should use IEMs less and start using earbuds. Hope Aune Audio will look into this.

From my experience with samsung evo sd card 128gb i had problem exactly like you, and i am using right now the sandisk sd card 128 gb, and everything fine, no problems.
So, AUNE m1s and samsung evo sd card - Do not go together.

I use the Samsung EVO+ 128GB, so far I experienced stuttering on 96/24 files, but not on DSD, FAT32 formatted with 64kb allocation.

What I have discovered is the M1s has playback issues with FLAC files, the recurring dirty cut at the end of the song mostly occurs on 16 bit / 44.1k in my case, I have installed V1.06 aggressive curve update already. I have played an Apple lossless and an MP3 file, so as DSD, there is no dirty cut issue, as a workaround I obtained a FLAC to M4A converter software and converted my mostly played albums in M4A format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back