Auditioning headphones in the UK?
Nov 16, 2011 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Studmuffin

New Head-Fier
Simple question from a newbie:

I've made mistakes buying cans on recommendation alone (Denon AH D2000's for example - not my taste at all).

So everyone says "try before you buy" - but where?

Ideally I'm looking for a dealer in the Midlands UK where I can listen to a good selection of mid priced models in a single day.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #2 of 9
I too wish they people who say "try before you buy" would say where.    I suspect they didn't either, because in 20+ yrs of hanging round hifi shops in the the UK, I've yet to find one that has a decent selection of headphones to audition.

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #3 of 9
Most headphone audition stores are located in Asian regions. You'd be lucky to find one in the entire UK. Wait for meets.

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
I too wish they people who say "try before you buy" would say where.    I suspect they didn't either, because in 20+ yrs of hanging round hifi shops in the the UK, I've yet to find one that has a decent selection of headphones to audition.

Hey alan, you live in Edinburgh right? What about http://www.advancedheadphones.co.uk?

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Most headphone audition stores are located in Asian regions. You'd be lucky to find one in the entire UK. Wait for meets.

Or you can organize a meet with another Uk head-fier's. 

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:

Hey alan, you live in Edinburgh right? What about http://www.advancedheadphones.co.uk?

Last time I looked, their "retail store" was a concession stand in an aisle of a shopping mall.  They might possibly have a few teenager-oriented glam cans to try out but not anything we'd be interested in.

Nov 16, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 9
Thats a shame. They could have real potential. Well, maybe not actually, considering that from the 1 year I've been an audiophile, it's now apparent to me that Scotland has an absurdly high percentage of people who just don't care.

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #9 of 9
Does anyone know where (if) I can audition some high end I.E.M's in a store in the north of England?  Preferably Yorkshire.

If im spending more than £500 on a set I want to try before I buy.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back