AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 22, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #6,935 of 10,194
...The original thicker cable easily develops a contact problem at the jack plug. ...

A problem, also appearing with the 6.35 mm adapter added to the Night Hawk Carbon! :triportsad:

... I asked for the new NH Carbon cable instead which was kindly sent to me by AQ. It is a bit bulky, but built like a tank....

That's true, but to be frank, it's too stiff for my taste. ... and it shows a bit of the unwanted noise when the cable rubs against your clothes or your desk edge or whatever (socalled ‘microphonics’).

So I tried an individually manufactured 9 ft cable crafted by Impact Audio Cable U.S.A (quite expensive and long wait until it was delivered to me here in Germany). Very well built, very good looking, very flexible but much more unwanted noise (‘microphonics’) when the cable has contact to clothes or other things than the original Night Hawk Carbon cable. Only usable when you absolutely do not move while listening = practically not usable :triportsad:

Finally the cheapest solution seems to be the best: a1.2 meter replacement cable for Sennheiser HD 700 headphones ordered by Amazon (similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Sennheiser-Headphones/dp/B00KBBR8T4), originally crafted in China together with a 1.5 meter standard extension cable. This 1.2 meter replacement cable has two 2.5 mm plugs which are very slim and have absolutely no contact to the ear cups so that unwanted noise transmission is absolutely minimal.

Differences in sound quality between all three cable variations were not hearable for me.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #6,937 of 10,194
They both sound the same. Just the look that is different

The new thicker shorter cable and an extra set of pads is that the extent of the difference??

Nightowl users report a lower mid bass hump and a slightly more emphasized treble vs the original Nighthawk, does this sound difference exist only on the Nightowl and not the NHC??

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #6,938 of 10,194
Jun 22, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #6,939 of 10,194
K P K could you post some pics of the cable please? I am interested in how much the HD700 connectors extend from outside of the headphone if that makes any sense.

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #6,940 of 10,194
The new thicker shorter cable and an extra set of pads is that the extent of the difference??

Nightowl users report a lower mid bass hump and a slightly more emphasized treble vs the original Nighthawk, does this sound difference exist only on the Nightowl and not the NHC??
The thing that makes the Nightowl sound different to the Nighthawk is that it is closed back as opposed to semi-open. Since the Nighthawk Carbon is semi-open it should be the same as the original

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #6,942 of 10,194
The thing that makes the Nightowl sound different to the Nighthawk is that it is closed back as opposed to semi-open. Since the Nighthawk Carbon is semi-open it should be the same as the original
Close enough to being the same anyway...

When the Carbon was first introduced we were told that there was a slight difference in tuning. Possibly this tuning was done by changing the pads but maybe someone knows of something else. The original Nighthawk (which I have) comes with hybrid pads. The new Carbon version comes with two sets of pads. One is all micro-suede and one is all protein leather. No hybrid. I think you would have do some experimenting to discern the differences but I would hope that the Carbon has retained what makes the original so magical to me.

I do have a set of the micro-suede pads and have just put them on my original Nighthawks recently. I did it because they are a little more comfortable to me especially in the hot weather that we have been having. I cannot comment on sound changes because I had not used my Nighthawks for about a month in between the pad change. Possibly I would not notice a difference. They still feel like my Nighthawks to me. I get too lost in the music to attempt comparisons. I enjoy my music far too much to get bogged down in listening to the equipment.

However, I will admit that this site has caused me to buy more headphones than anyone needs. My list is in my profile. I think I adjust to various sound signatures rather easily as long as the quality is there and the treble does not pierce my brain. Anyway, the Nighthawks are among my favorites... top 2 or 3 anyway. I don't expect that to change. For one thing I am done buying anymore headphones! My two most recent are the Amiron Home and the Meze Neo... love them too.

Jun 23, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #6,944 of 10,194
!f there is bass in the track you should hear it even right out of the box. At least I did. Are the cables in nice and tight? What do you have it plugged in to? What headphones are you used to?

Just thought of something else.... some people had trouble with the 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter. I have not used the one that came with my Nighthawks as I have others if I need them Are you using that?

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #6,945 of 10,194
!f there is bass in the track you should hear it even right out of the box. At least I did. Are the cables in nice and tight? What do you have it plugged in to? What headphones are you used to?

Just thought of something else.... some people had trouble with the 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter. I have not used the one that came with my Nighthawks as I have others if I need them Are you using that?
I am using the really thin cable for my iPad and MacBook Pro. I came from using the Audeze isine 20 but return it because it was uncomfortable. I think I have it tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back