Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
May 15, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #2,162 of 2,803
So I have the MSR7s, and they've been quite nice to my ears. However, my audio bug is acting up again, and I can't but help wonder about a few things:

1) Do cable upgrades make that much of a difference? Having long scoffed at Monster Cables and any non-generic audio cables, to now think that the upgrade cables sold by Audio-Technica and Sony make a difference is a difficult pill to swallow...

2) Does an MSR7 benefit from a DAC/Amp such as a Schiit Fulla 2? From what I have observed, my MSR7 is quite sensitive and responsive to my on-board audio and phone. Would something like a Fulla 2 improve on the sound characteristics, or would it be overkill for an MSR7?

Finally, if it came down to cable or DAC/Amp, which would would people recommend first? There are DAC/Amps that cost less than cables nowadays...

Cables don't matter imo. No point spending that much over what is essentially just a metal wire that transmits an electrical signal.

MSR7 is one of those headphones which responds quite well to different dac/amps and sources, and will have some effect on sound sig and staging, etc. Improvements will be had, just not leaps and bounds.

Forget about the cables, just use the stock ones, you have three anyway. The belief that cables can change a headphone's characteristic, especially for the MSR7, I find it hard to believe. Getting a proper dac/amp that can power these will be more beneficial.

May 16, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #2,163 of 2,803
Cables don't matter imo. No point spending that much over what is essentially just a metal wire that transmits an electrical signal.

MSR7 is one of those headphones which responds quite well to different dac/amps and sources, and will have some effect on sound sig and staging, etc. Improvements will be had, just not leaps and bounds.

Forget about the cables, just use the stock ones, you have three anyway. The belief that cables can change a headphone's characteristic, especially for the MSR7, I find it hard to believe. Getting a proper dac/amp that can power these will be more beneficial.

I fully agree.... cables don't matter. They could only if there is some crappy tinny one and you replace it with proper thicker one then yes. But if you already have solid cable (which can be cheap as well) then there is no point for upgrade as you are only going to pay for the design nothing else. This is something I have discussed with professional who has over 40 years of experience in this field. I showed him those kind of cables he just laughed and said "People just dont know what else to make for more money". If there is improvement it would be certainly something you cannot hear with human ear, those micro differences are not worth it.

If your headphones sound good and there is no noise that's all you are looking for. You could spend those money towards a new pair of headphones :p

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #2,166 of 2,803
Just checking in to write how I solved the creaking hinges issue that these headphones have.
I used a minuscule drop (and I mean tiny!!) of bicycle chain lubricant on the hinges. I carefully applied it using an ear-pick to the plastic in the hinges. The creaking is completely gone. If the lubricant wears off, just repeat this process (mine hasn't creaked for about two months now, and I had a pretty creaky unit).

Make sure to apply just a tiny bit of this lubricant as otherwise it might seep out and muck up your headphones.

Jun 18, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #2,167 of 2,803
I wonder how silicon lubricant would work. It is far more inert.

Jul 21, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #2,170 of 2,803
The Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 pairs beautifully with the Questyle QP1R DAP. Not as well with Lotoo Paw Gold Diana.

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #2,171 of 2,803
Just bought the MSR7 a couple of days ago, must say I'm really impressed with the sound! Not so much with the build quality tho, but for AU$279~US$223, I really didn't expect much. I'm using the MSR7 with Jotunheim w DAC and on the go my HTC 10. It sounds great out of the box (not a big believer of burning in, but who knows the sound signature might get better!).

I have had similar sounding headphones in the past, the ATH-R70x, Sennheiser HD700 so it was to my great surprise that the MSR7 sound so much alike but closed! I've also had the ATH-M50x awhile back but comparing them with the R70x I much prefer the less bloated bass and the better refined mids and highs. My daily driver is the HD800S via balanced out from Jotunheim w DAC so when I say the MSR7 sounds great and familiar, you know I'm not kidding :)

My issue with the build quality is where the joints meet between the head band and the cups, if you wear it a little too tight you can some times hear the grinding of plastics. I believe this can be solved with some lubricant but I haven't had the balls to try yet (not sure what lube to use lol). And the second thing is the adjustment band, when you extend it like say 5 notches or more and you give the cups a little twist, you will hear and feel the metal band grind against the head band. One last thing, the LEFT and RIGHT font just doesn't sit right with me.

Once again, awesome sounding cans! Highly recommended for non-bass heads!

Jul 27, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #2,172 of 2,803
Just bought the MSR7 a couple of days ago, must say I'm really impressed with the sound! Not so much with the build quality tho, but for AU$279~US$223, I really didn't expect much. I'm using the MSR7 with Jotunheim w DAC and on the go my HTC 10. It sounds great out of the box (not a big believer of burning in, but who knows the sound signature might get better!).

I have had similar sounding headphones in the past, the ATH-R70x, Sennheiser HD700 so it was to my great surprise that the MSR7 sound so much alike but closed! I've also had the ATH-M50x awhile back but comparing them with the R70x I much prefer the less bloated bass and the better refined mids and highs. My daily driver is the HD800S via balanced out from Jotunheim w DAC so when I say the MSR7 sounds great and familiar, you know I'm not kidding :)

My issue with the build quality is where the joints meet between the head band and the cups, if you wear it a little too tight you can some times hear the grinding of plastics. I believe this can be solved with some lubricant but I haven't had the balls to try yet (not sure what lube to use lol). And the second thing is the adjustment band, when you extend it like say 5 notches or more and you give the cups a little twist, you will hear and feel the metal band grind against the head band. One last thing, the LEFT and RIGHT font just doesn't sit right with me.

Once again, awesome sounding cans! Highly recommended for non-bass heads!

I used a bit of silicon lubricant. It is not solvent based, so it doesn't hurt the plastic or finish.

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #2,173 of 2,803
New MSR7SE special edition announced!

ath-msr7se.jpg

It has improved isolation and sound quality with a new diaphragm to the drivers similar to that of the SR9. Also comes with a hard case and OFC cable.

https://audiotechnicanewsroom.com/2...dition-model-of-landmark-ath-msr7-headphones/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back