Audio-Technica ATH-ESW950 and ATH-ES750
Dec 30, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #16 of 39
  Tried out the ES750 and ESW950 (actually, the local variants of them: ES770 and ESW990H) at the Mook festival last weekend - I walked away more impressed by the 750 than the 950.

Take the ES700, add more refinement and detail in the already good mids, add better low and high extension, and you get the ES750. These don't sound anything like its price might suggest. Just amazing sound from those small drivers.

The ESW950, on the other hand, did not impress me as I find they did not do anything better than the old ESW9. Perhaps the set was new and hasn't been burned in. I'll give it a chance and audition one again next time, as I really want these to be good.

Both tested with a FiiO X7.

These cans actually do not have small drivers. Instead with their 42mm drivers, they do have bigger ones than that of say Sennheiser HD600 & 650 (which employ 40mm ones).

Maybe the padding can be considered as small ; and that is what makes them portable in a sense.

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #18 of 39
At the time I wasn't aware that they were new models, I compared both with my trusty ath m50x paired with the HA 2, listening to some Stevie wonder funk, the ESW950 were way more enticing than the m50x, but less detailed, you could feel the oomph, whereas everything is more balanced in the m50x, the 750's on the other hand really impressed me, the power and response of it were amazing, the built felt flimsy in every other aspect though.

Mar 6, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #20 of 39
My goodness me. I have been MIA here..

I still hold my ESW11LTD dearly. Can anyone share their impressions of the ESW950 compared to ESW11LTD before I open my wallet?

cool.gif

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #26 of 39
Well, after giving it some time, all I can say is that they're a good pair of portable cans but I'm not sure if they're really worth it. I definitely overpaid for it and it was partially my fault (customs and some paypal fees I had to pay because I was being stupid). But even so, at the price of $260 CAD (210 USD), you're getting into full sized mid-fi headphone territory and there a plenty of other options at that point. Unless what you're seeking for is absolute portability and aesthetics, I think you should take a look elsewhere until these goes down in price.

But let's talk about the actual headphones. First of all, I think they are absolutely stunning because of that mirrored finished cup, but they attract fingerprints like crazy. The detachable cables are thick and supple and there's not too much weight to them so you won't feel any tugging. They snap on securely and requires some force to take off. There's plenty of strain relief on both ends so I think it'll hold up well in the long run. The headband has enough padding which feels nice and comfy on your head and the clamping force isn't too bad so I think they're quite comfortable for long listening sessions. My main concern though has to do with isolation and the long term durability of the swivel hinges. The pads aren't thick and supple enough and the clamping force is relatively light so they don't completely press on your ears evenly and thus you get ambient noise coming through. In terms of the swivel hinge where the earcups attaches to the frame, I really wished they would redesign it and maybe use some metal instead of plastic. I feel like they would fail eventually just like my old pair of ATH ES55 with the same hinge design. Lastly, there's the problem of fit and I think it's biggest flaw. At its most extended position, the cups just managed to cover my ears and I'm someone with an maybe smaller than average head. So for someone with a larger head or maybe for those who wants to wear this over something else,I think it definitely poses a problem.

Onto the sound, I'm quite happy with it, but it's not the kind that impresses for the price. I also can't compare these to the ES7 which I think is the question that everyone's asking but I guess it should be quite similar from what I've read. It's energetic with plenty of low end thump. The bass sounds solid, with plenty of power for something this portable, but it's not the kind of bass that rattles your ears or digs really deep. It's a kind of softer bass, with a little more emphasize on the mid-bass and lower mid-bass. I really like how it transitions into the mids so you get this cohesiveness, which I think is it's biggest strength. There is more bass than I would expect and it's certainly a more prominent aspect of the sound signature. The lower mids and mids are smooth and very intimate, forward and engaging with none of that resonance and hollow sound you get from some closed headphones and that surprised me. But I feel that there's too much focus in this region, and not enough in the upper mids. There's a lack of air to the sound which hurts the overall timbre especially when listening to female vocals and acoustic pieces. Things like snare drums or acoustic guitars are a bit muted in comparison. The highs are nicely done and extends quite well beyond the midrange. There's nice weight and texture to the lower treble but a bit of grain in the higher frequencies. There's no sibilance to speak of and overall it performed better than I expected. Soundstage wise, it's got more depth than width and it's surely an intimate kind of sound. Instrument separation is alright and the bit of depth helps in this regard.

With all that said, I think they're a capable pair of portable cans with potential to sound great through the help of some modding and refinement. The high price of entry of $260 isn't in it's favor and there are fit issues as well. Based on sound alone, I think they slot in between the $180 - $200 (150 USD?) range, so the question that remains is whether the detachable cable and and portability alone is worth the premium (or that much more than the ES7?)

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #28 of 39

From the catalog, it looks like the wooden ESW990H version now has an esw9 looking wood,
And now has some coated drivers, which would normally suggest break in period needed.
Especially if the voice coil is the the new thinner type.
That still doesn't mean it will be better though.

A reason why you would notice the 770H initially better is that
Usually the metal type (ES770H) is different tuned driver using no internal space as all damped inside.

So although driver description is same,
They not actually behave same because the 990H has more sensitivity (103db) from different design using an internal space in cup which will also always give it more Soundstage over the black metal cup.
So definitely need to further evaluate.

I am not liking the reddish wood which looks exactly like the old esw9.
They should have make it appear more different with a darker or lighter wood.

:p

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #29 of 39
My goodness me. I have been MIA here..

I still hold my ESW11LTD dearly. Can anyone share their impressions of the ESW950 compared to ESW11LTD before I open my wallet?

:cool:

I seriously doubt this unit could surpass your larger 50mm driver unit.

It would even be lucky to beat the esw9 Ltd,
Most probably just different because it should definitely sound different having a coated driver and a more solid internal structure.

It is still same size as esw9&esw9ltd so always be a notch below yours in Soundstage or size of bass..(not in amount, but perceived size )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back