Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Jan 22, 2016 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,068

blazer78

500+ Head-Fier

Source: Audio Technica Japan Facebook page

The ATH-E70

Specs (source: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/06f712b0ffbeea4d/index.html)
  1. Three balanced armature drivers provide accurate and extended response across the entire frequency range
  2. Flexible memory cable loops over ears for a custom fit and long-wearing comfort
  3. Specially designed housings provide maximum isolation, allowing you to focus on the music
  4. Detachable 1.6 m (5. 2') cable, with newly developed A2DC (Audio Designed Detachable Coaxial) connectors at the headphones, offers exceptional durability and optimized audio performance
  5. Includes a carrying case, 6.3 mm (1/4") adapter, silicone eartips (XS/S/M/L) and Comply™ foam eartips (M)

Type: Balanced armature
Frequency Response: 20 – 19,000 Hz
Sensitivity: 109 dB/mW
Impedance: 39 ohms
Weight: 9g (0.3 oz), without cable
Cable: Detachable 1.6 m (5. 2') with A2DC connectors
Connector: 3.5 mm (1/8") gold-plated stereo mini-plug, L-shaped
Accessories Included: Carrying case, 6.3 mm (1/4") adapter, silicone eartips (XS/S/M/L), Comply™ foam eartips (M)

The ATH-E50

Specs (source: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/1eaea2e39ebfe3cb/index.html)
  1. Powerful single balanced armature drivers provide an accurate full-range response
  2. Flexible memory cable loops over ears for a custom fit and long-wearing comfort
  3. Specially designed housings provide maximum isolation, allowing you to focus on the music
  4. Detachable 1.6 m (5.2') cable, with newly developed A2DC (Audio Designed Detachable Coaxial) connectors at the headphones, offers exceptional durability and optimized audio performance
  5. Includes a carrying case and silicone eartips (XS/S/M/L)

Frequency Response: 20 – 18,000 Hz
Sensitivity: 107 dB/mW
Impedance: 44 ohms
Accessories Included: Carrying case, silicone eartips (XS/S/M/L)

The ATH-E40

Specs (source: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/904bd369d3159bf2/index.html)
  1. Proprietary dual phase push-pull drivers excel in monitoring applications by providing exceptional accuracy and clarity
  4. Detachable 1.6 m (5.2') cable, with newly developed A2DC (Audio Designed Detachable Coaxial) connectors at the headphones, offers exceptional durability and optimized audio performance
  5. Includes a carrying case and silicone eartips (XS/S/M/L)

Type: Dynamic
Sensitivity: 111 dB/mW

What was that my dear sweet, sweet wallet? I can't hear you.
etysmile.gif

Jan 22, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 1,068

Source: Audio Technica Japan Facebook page

The ATH-E70

Specs (source: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/06f712b0ffbeea4d/index.html)
  • Three balanced armature drivers provide accurate and extended response across the entire frequency range
  • Flexible memory cable loops over ears for a custom fit and long-wearing comfort
  • Specially designed housings provide maximum isolation, allowing you to focus on the music
  • Detachable 1.6 m (5. 2') cable, with newly developed A2DC (Audio Designed Detachable Coaxial) connectors at the headphones, offers exceptional durability and optimized audio performance
  • Includes a carrying case, 6.3 mm (1/4") adapter, silicone eartips (XS/S/M/L) and Comply™ foam eartips (M)

Sensitivity: 109 dB/mW
Accessories Included: Carrying case, 6.3 mm (1/4") adapter, silicone eartips (XS/S/M/L), Comply™ foam eartips (M)

The ATH-E50

Specs (source: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/1eaea2e39ebfe3cb/index.html)
  • Powerful single balanced armature drivers provide an accurate full-range response
  • Flexible memory cable loops over ears for a custom fit and long-wearing comfort
  • Specially designed housings provide maximum isolation, allowing you to focus on the music
  • Detachable 1.6 m (5.2') cable, with newly developed A2DC (Audio Designed Detachable Coaxial) connectors at the headphones, offers exceptional durability and optimized audio performance
  • Includes a carrying case and silicone eartips (XS/S/M/L)

Frequency Response: 20 – 18,000 Hz
Sensitivity: 107 dB/mW
Impedance: 44 ohms

The ATH-E40

Specs (source: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/904bd369d3159bf2/index.html)
  • Proprietary dual phase push-pull drivers excel in monitoring applications by providing exceptional accuracy and clarity
  • Detachable 1.6 m (5.2') cable, with newly developed A2DC (Audio Designed Detachable Coaxial) connectors at the headphones, offers exceptional durability and optimized audio performance
  • Includes a carrying case and silicone eartips (XS/S/M/L)

Type: Dynamic
Sensitivity: 111 dB/mW

What was that my dear sweet, sweet wallet? I can't hear you. :etysmile:  

I wonder how the e40 sounds compared to the CKR series or the CKS 1100
I'm a proud owner of the CKR-9s and I am loving them :etysmile:

Jan 22, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #4 of 1,068
I wonder how the e40 sounds compared to the CKR series or the CKS 1100
I'm a proud owner of the CKR-9s and I am loving them
etysmile.gif

If the IM-series are anything to go by for their professional series sound signature, I'm guessing it will have a solid bass response balanced well with the midrange and treble. This would lead it to sound closer to the CKR10 I imagine?

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #6 of 1,068
And i would like to say....................

FINALLY !!!!!! SOMETHING THAT WOULD WIPE THE FLOOR WITH THE MEDIOCRE AND OVERPRICED (for the SQ) SHURE SE215!!!!!

I genuinely believe that the E40 will outpace the Shure in nearly every aspect

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #7 of 1,068

If the IM-series are anything to go by for their professional series sound signature, I'm guessing it will have a solid bass response balanced well with the midrange and treble. This would lead it to sound closer to the CKR10 I imagine?

I went for the CKR-9s as the 10s are warmer , more intimate and less detailed.

and strangely the E50 utilizes  a single "powerful"(?) balanced armature when single BAs are generally considered bad.
Personally i would skip single BAs entirely and either go with the E70 or E40.

The Final Audio Design Heaven series is strangely good though for single BA iems.

Jan 22, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 1,068
The E40 are pre-order for $99...http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1216773-REG/audio_technica_ath_e40_e_series_professional_in_ear.html

That said, I'm really not expecting that much. Not exactly a CKR over ear as they are sealed up and not vented out the rear. This is a sealed up monitor which will sound smaller and probably be tuned for a smooth sound with a polite top end. Most likely tuned like the CKR9LTD but with a smaller stage. Hopefully it will be a great deal but hard to think AT wouldn't be charging $200 or more if they thought it was that good. Hard to see them slotting in at $139 MSRP if they were just as good since the CKR9 and 10 are still there on the site for $270 and $390. I'm thinking IM70 was never available here in the U.S. and this fills that price point though it should be a bit better.

We need to know so someone who has a CKR needs to grab one and see how they stack up. Still waiting, a big AT fan here, for them to have a model that is great value right out of the shoot but it is usually better to wait for the price to drop a bit. These may have potential starting at $99 but have to be a bit hesitant that they are right up there with the CKR9 and 10 :)

Remember, there is also the Trinity Phantom Sabre, titanium dual push-pull over ear for about the same price coming. That would be an interesting poll to see which is the most intriguing to Head-fiers.

Jan 22, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #13 of 1,068
  AFAIk all of them have their prices released, the E40 street is $99, E50 at $199, and the E70 at $399. 

For $99 i think that the E40 is gonna beat the **** out of the se215.
  The E40 are pre-order for $99...http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1216773-REG/audio_technica_ath_e40_e_series_professional_in_ear.html

That said, I'm really not expecting that much. Not exactly a CKR over ear as they are sealed up and not vented out the rear. This is a sealed up monitor which will sound smaller and probably be tuned for a smooth sound with a polite top end. Most likely tuned like the CKR9LTD but with a smaller stage.

These may have potential starting at $99 but have to be a bit hesitant that they are right up there with the CKR9 and 10 :)

Remember, there is also the Trinity Phantom Sabre, titanium dual push-pull over ear for about the same price coming. That would be an interesting poll to see which is the most intriguing to Head-fiers.

True ........ 
Its unlikely that AT would price it so lowly compared to the CKR9 and 10 which cost about three to four times more. 

How do you categorize smooth sound with a polite top end? Rolled off highs? Warmer signature?  Btw the CKR-9LTD do sound a tiny bit warm but still have BA like detail.
And IMO stage monitors should sound neutral with great detailing.

And the Trinity Phantom Sabre might be better in SQ as it has titanium dual push-pull drivers compared to unknown material used in AT iems. Then again it depends on how well tuned it is.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 1,068
Read the release notes that said March 2016 release. 

As for the high end question, I am pretty sure they will be polite and smooth as a monitor should being a pro tool. Can't have sibilance or ear fatigue with a bright or peaky high end in a monitor unless it is badly tuned which AT won't do. I don't think it will roll off really early but it won't extend like the E70 will and it will be pretty even and short of bright or really crisp. Probably most like the CKR9 LTD treble and not as much energy up top as a CKR9. They say powerful bass so they will likely be warm like many monitor earphone are esp. if used as a personal listening phone but plugged into stage equipment or enough amplification they will tighten up more and give more balance. 

Odd the specs:

Japanese E40 site (https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/mi/show_model.php?modelId=2812):
ModelDynamic type
driverφ12.5mm × 2
Play frequency band20 ~ 20,000Hz
Output sound pressure level107dB / mW
Impedance12Ω
Input terminalA2DC connector jack
plugφ3.5mm gold-plated stereo mini plug (L-type)
I mass (excluding code)About 10g

U.S E40 site:
Frequency Response20 – 19,000 Hz
Sensitivity111 dB/mW
Impedance39 ohms
Weight9 g (0.3 oz), without cable
CableDetachable 1.6 m (5.2') with A2DC connectors
Connector3.5 mm (1/8") gold-plated stereo mini-plug, L-shaped
Accessories IncludedCarrying case, silicone eartips (XS/S/M/L)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back