Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
May 20, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #31 of 4,795
Mm..so I take it that the i4 has the same sound signature as the iSine 20 but done much better? Does it really take after its big brother, the LCD 4?

What gear did you use to listen to the i4? Mojo only? Others? DAPs? Tube amps?

Honestly I haven't listened to the iSINE 20 much since receiving the LCD-i4 prototype before CanJam SoCal. Going from memory, the LCD-i4 is closer to the LCD-4 than it is the iSINE 20. The iSINE 20 has an unexpectedly large soundstage for an IEM, but because the technology is completely different inside the LCD-i4 is in a completely different league. For example, soundstage and instrument placement is better on some tracks with the LCD-i4 than they are on my Ether FLOW. Once I'm back in the office next week I'll spend some time with the LCD-4 and iSINE 20 again and do some quick comparisons.

I listen to it primarily from a Chord Mojo or Sony TA-ZH1ES. I don't own any tube amps and my current DAP doesn't do the LCD-i4 justice.

May 20, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #33 of 4,795
Honestly I haven't listened to the iSINE 20 much since receiving the LCD-i4 prototype before CanJam SoCal. Going from memory, the LCD-i4 is closer to the LCD-4 than it is the iSINE 20. The iSINE 20 has an unexpectedly large soundstage for an IEM, but because the technology is completely different inside the LCD-i4 is in a completely different league. For example, soundstage and instrument placement is better on some tracks with the LCD-i4 than they are on my Ether FLOW. Once I'm back in the office next week I'll spend some time with the LCD-4 and iSINE 20 again and do some quick comparisons.

I listen to it primarily from a Chord Mojo or Sony TA-ZH1ES. I don't own any tube amps and my current DAP doesn't do the LCD-i4 justice.
Thanks for your impressions sir.

May 20, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #34 of 4,795
$2,500 for in-ears? Price gauging at it's finest here people. I'm amazed people are OK with companies continuing to raise the prices of headphones to ridiculous amounts.
I'm probably the first amongst my friends to rail against the blatant robbery that occurs every dang second of the day when an IEM is sold. I've been gouged severely when purchasing Noble's Kaiser K10U. Yup $1850 for a nice sound. Moreover, just before purchasing my iSine 20's I was still so in love with the Kaisers that I purchased the Massdrop X model. It arrived on Friday. Another $250 gone.

So what am I saying? Well it could be just that a proportion of the population frickin loves the sound from the iSines. I spent coin on the 800S. Because it had the "s" you ask. No I listened, or as the salespeople like to say - "auditioned" them for hours on end. When my iSine's arrived I was listening to my K10's on my Mojo. Nice. Listening to the divide album (can't find the symbol on my keyboard, person rotten apple). I had already seen the videos on the iSines. Already had the medium sized tips on. Plugged into the Chord and I thought I was listening to some other worldly set of headphones. Space, the final frontier. My ears went boldly to places I could only dream of with the TOTL headphones. Certainly not IEMs.

Audeze has me pegged as perfect target market for the i4's. If they were out today and there was a lineup to plop down my money I would be there with a tent, sleeping bag and 4 jumbo bags of cheetos.Oh, and beer. Lots of beer. And a lifeline to friends to bring even more beer. I've already called my dealer (audio) to get me some of that iSine goodness. Is the i4 going to be the pinnacle of in ear headphones? Damn right they're going to be. If they are going to cost what, 3 times more or so - Audeze knows that they can't come up with a minor update. This is going to be big and I'm going to be part of it. I'm getting me some really expensive headphones. Movin' on up to the east side...

P.S. Audeze don't mess this up or I'll be all over you like a duck on a june bug

Last edited by a moderator:
May 20, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #35 of 4,795
Meh.
I tested the Audeze lcd XC, and for me all Audeze has a stupid over-price like my se846

It's only a open planar magnetic solution, they are nothing of other universe.
Stop over price, please.
My ibasso it03 have a more wide soundstage than 1799 usd audeze XC 2015, how xc can cost that?, stop production the actually audeze LCD and put the lcd-4 for new flagship. This audiophile world is like to '' smartphone '' world, 2 smartphones per year with Over-price. The funny part is: both is the same.

What is the next? lcd 5 for 5999usd? lcd 6 for 9999 usd?. Ok.
My father started to lose his hearing when he was a young 28 years of age. Sad. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

May 21, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #38 of 4,795
Has anyone heard these using a mojo? Can you drive these to very loud volume? I have the LCD 4s and am driving these with a gsx mk2 and a chord tt which sounds great. I wonder how the i4's with the mojo would compare to the big brother set up vs just using the isine 20s and cypher cable? On a scale from 1-10 would the 20s be a 5, the i4's a9, and he LCD 4s a 10? Trying to find a great portable rig but maybe I'm better off with the 20s on the road and the gsx mk2/tt/LCD 4s at home.

May 21, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #39 of 4,795
Has anyone heard these using a mojo? Can you drive these to very loud volume? I have the LCD 4s and am driving these with a gsx mk2 and a chord tt which sounds great. I wonder how the i4's with the mojo would compare to the big brother set up vs just using the isine 20s and cypher cable? On a scale from 1-10 would the 20s be a 5, the i4's a9, and he LCD 4s a 10? Trying to find a great portable rig but maybe I'm better off with the 20s on the road and the gsx mk2/tt/LCD 4s at home.

At Munich's show, Audeze had the LCD-i4 connected to a Mojo, and volume was far enough. . .

May 21, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #40 of 4,795
What were the other amps at the show they were using to drive them? Was the mojo the best. Could it drive them easily or adequately? What is the end game portable amp for these?

May 21, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #41 of 4,795
Was the mojo the best. Could it drive them easily or adequately? What is the end game portable amp for these?

The Mojo is more than adequate for the LCD-i4, but I've enjoyed pairing them with a Sony TA-ZH1ES and Chord DAVE more. They scale incredibly well. As for end-game DAP, that I don't know. I haven't used them with a DAP all that much.

May 22, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #43 of 4,795
Mm..did you audition it?

yes, but could not judge the sound quality because of ambiant noise on MUNICH's show. Could just confirm that volume from MOJO was more than enough.

May 22, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #44 of 4,795
The Mojo is more than adequate for the LCD-i4, but I've enjoyed pairing them with a Sony TA-ZH1ES and Chord DAVE more. They scale incredibly well. As for end-game DAP, that I don't know. I haven't used them with a DAP all that much.

Would you say the i4 is atleast 40-50 percent improvement over the Isine 20?

May 22, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #45 of 4,795
Would you say the i4 is atleast 40-50 percent improvement over the Isine 20?

I try to avoid assigning arbitrary numbers like that when comparing different pieces. For example, with a rig that properly showcases the LCD-i4's dexterity, the gap between it and an iSINE 20 is immense. I can't say that's true for every single combo available, so saying that it's 50% better than an iSINE 20 doesn't make sense to me.

The iSINE 10 and 20 were created using the ideas behind the LCD-i4, but they're very different beasts. I wouldn't say that the LCD-i4 is anything like the iSINE series. That's probably why Audeze decided to give the iSINEs a different name. The LCD-i4 is absolutely not an iSINE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back