Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jun 26, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #316 of 4,795
Sarnia, my heart goes out to you. I hope that things get sorted out for you, and faster than it appears to be taking right now. If I were you I would contact Audeze Administrator on this site pronto. DonChuy was guaranteed a replacement within 2 weeks. My thoughts are that with this new technology called "courier service," things should take no longer than a week. There are probably around what, perhaps 25 contributors or so to this particular thread? 2 DOAs. I have a friend who received his pair last Thursday also DOA in MA. That makes within my circle of known people who are interested and having purchased this headphone about 3/26 with dead products. The total number out of the 26 who have received their headphones to date is perhaps 12? Just throwing some raw guesstimates here, but they don't seem far off. So 1 in 4 have had issues?

When I recently purchased my HifimanHE 1000V2 I knew that the quality control on the first release was a bit shady. They stepped up their game. I stepped up to bat. I don't like what I'm seeing with respect to the i4 DOA problem. If I were Audeze I would get on top of every issue to ensure that every problem was fixed in days not weeks. I am sitting here waiting for my delivery now. My confidence level that they will even work is dropping fast - and that is the last thing Audeze needs with the release of a new product.

You can send Audeze a private message at their link at message #271 in this thread.

All the best.

Jun 26, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #317 of 4,795
Sarnia, my heart goes out to you. I hope that things get sorted out for you, and faster than it appears to be taking right now. If I were you I would contact Audeze Administrator on this site pronto. DonChuy was guaranteed a replacement within 2 weeks. My thoughts are that with this new technology called "courier service," things should take no longer than a week. There are probably around what, perhaps 25 contributors or so to this particular thread? 2 DOAs. I have a friend who received his pair last Thursday also DOA in MA. That makes within my circle of known people who are interested and having purchased this headphone about 3/26 with dead products. The total number out of the 26 who have received their headphones to date is perhaps 12? Just throwing some raw guesstimates here, but they don't seem far off. So 1 in 4 have had issues?

When I recently purchased my HifimanHE 1000V2 I knew that the quality control on the first release was a bit shady. They stepped up their game. I stepped up to bat. I don't like what I'm seeing with respect to the i4 DOA problem. If I were Audeze I would get on top of every issue to ensure that every problem was fixed in days not weeks. I am sitting here waiting for my delivery now. My confidence level that they will even work is dropping fast - and that is the last thing Audeze needs with the release of a new product.

You can send Audeze a private message at their link at message #271 in this thread.

All the best.
Well said, this really shouldn't be happening to a $2500.
If it was me I would be beyond furious and seriously question QC practices and as it's my first
Headphone from this company would say off to a really bad start and all would depend on how smoothly the situation get remidied.
Maybe they're pushing the production to the limit as its sounds like all of you are getting a pair.
If you got faulty units you really should have replacement in a day or two maximum.
Really don't like to hear about any issues, if it is on any large scale at all, can cost Audeze serious
Reputation money and customers .
Luckily mine works flawlessly serial sub 100.

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #318 of 4,795
Thanks guys.

The time to get a new pair isn't down to Audeze, it's due to my location on a small island and customs issues with returning high-value items to the UK.

Understandably the Dealer won't send out a new pair until they receive the returned pair and test them, as they need to protect themselves from scammers.

KMann from Audeze has reached out to me already, which I'm very grateful for. While this situation isn't ideal, Audeze can't control what happens to items once they leave them. This issue may well be down to poor handling elsewhere, who knows.

My frustration is purely that, like most of you I'm sure would be, I was excited to receive a new toy. I probably feel about the same as my 3-year old daughter would if I gave her a broken toy. The only difference is I haven't yet lay down on the floor screaming and kicking...yet.

I have no doubt that this issue will get sorted out as quickly as possible, and the customer support from Audeze is excellent, so I have no concerns with continuing with this purchase. My iSine 20 are amazing, so I still can't wait to hear what the i4 sound like.

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #319 of 4,795
$2,500 for in-ears? Price gauging at it's finest here people. I'm amazed people are OK with companies continuing to raise the prices of headphones to ridiculous amounts.
Hi there will always be a market for it to feed off our addiction! It does pay for itself based on the number of hours used unlike home hifi. Also this kit is a mood changer.

Jun 26, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #320 of 4,795
Five hours ago this lad from igloo number 7 in this vast country, well he received his Audeze i4s. After snapping a few quick photos it was off to the tabernacle office for my listening pleasure. Well I'm back to the land of the living, after doing a few confessions, people are bad by the way, and thought that I would post some pics. So my initial thoughts? Like no other headphone I have heard before. Similar to the Hfiman 1000V2 but different. Much better in some ways. Just blown away. A concert hall surrounding me with quality never heard before in an in ear and bests mosts over the ears on the market.

Big, no bigly sound. Worth the $2500 price of admission considering for many this is an end game headphone.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

Jun 26, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #322 of 4,795
Five hours ago this lad from igloo number 7 in this vast country, well he received his Audeze i4s. After snapping a few quick photos it was off to the tabernacle office for my listening pleasure. Well I'm back to the land of the living, after doing a few confessions, people are bad by the way, and thought that I would post some pics. So my initial thoughts? Like no other headphone I have heard before. Similar to the Hfiman 1000V2 but different. Much better in some ways. Just blown away. A concert hall surrounding me with quality never heard before in an in ear and bests mosts over the ears on the market.

Big, no bigly sound. Worth the $2500 price of admission considering for many this is an end game headphone.

Congratulations! I've got to be honest, part of the joy of getting them today was to sneak in before you with a picture of my new toys...sad huh?

As a fellow Hifiman HE1000v2 owner, I'd really appreciate more info on how you thought the LCD-i4 were much better in some ways. I need you to be my ears man :ear:

On a positive note, both connectors have a nice tight fit, and the cable seems solidly constructed, so issues others have had are fine here.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #323 of 4,795
Sarnia, may I first do the obligatory apology - I'm sorry. Yes, I'm sorry that you wanted to sneak in before me with a photo of your brand spanking new photo of working i4s. Now a snarky person could say that you could have said that you were quite capable of posting a pic of broken down, sad looking i4s - but someone of my calibre wouldn't sink to such levels. It is always country first for me. And honour. And beer.

I'll be your ears though! Your basic question pertains to the difference in sound between the HE1000V2 and the i4s. These well trained dog like ears sense the following: huge in your face presence of mids highs and sub bass (well that just about covers it) and the ability to actually play EDM (I'm listening to Calvin Harris remixes right now with my head exploding with pleasure), and being able to listen to real rock from Zeppelin, Rush and Max Webster. Normally when it comes to these genres you are wondering with hand by the volume dial when you are going to have to turn up the volume and then turn it down again. Everything is there in the music and surrounds your head - non stop!!! With the Hifimans the sound was almost electrostatic-like with the usual problems regarding lack of deep bass and even distant mids. The i4s are unlike any other headphone that I have ever heard. The more that I listen to them the more that I love them. Words truly do not do them justice. They just smack you in the face with great music.

I'm sure that I will have better words tomorrow but I'm just going through music that I thought I knew - through headphones before. Just take note, there is going to be a lot of push back from those with expensive feedback over these. They will not believe that such sound is possible from 12 gram stick in your ear thingies. I am an enthusiast not a salesperson. When you have a problem, well then I guess in my heart if you are sincere then part of me has a problem. That is what we call humanity. By the same token I don't mind being here to help others when it comes to offering an opinion. Finally, musicday and for you, lie down with your chord, Hugo or Mojo in your bed as the i4s stay in place. If they do move around a bit the sound doesn't change at all. I hereby declare them Mattress Friendly.

Pope BoxSpring

Jun 26, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #324 of 4,795

Those is pretty! I love the looks of them.

Jun 26, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #325 of 4,795
Can't wait to try it at CanJam wity the Tera Player and my Hugo 2.
Can you lay on the pillow with them in your ears comfortable?

Yes, I am actually lying down on my bed, head on pillow right now listening to my i4's out of my Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Sounds unbelievable and I the pillow does not disturb the headphones. You can't lie on your side, of course, but laying on your back is very comfortable. Be careful though...the i4's sound so good, you may need tissues to clean up afterward :L3000:

Jun 26, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #326 of 4,795
Sarnia, may I first do the obligatory apology - I'm sorry. Yes, I'm sorry that you wanted to sneak in before me with a photo of your brand spanking new photo of working i4s. Now a snarky person could say that you could have said that you were quite capable of posting a pic of broken down, sad looking i4s - but someone of my calibre wouldn't sink to such levels. It is always country first for me. And honour. And beer.

I'll be your ears though! Your basic question pertains to the difference in sound between the HE1000V2 and the i4s. These well trained dog like ears sense the following: huge in your face presence of mids highs and sub bass (well that just about covers it) and the ability to actually play EDM (I'm listening to Calvin Harris remixes right now with my head exploding with pleasure), and being able to listen to real rock from Zeppelin, Rush and Max Webster. Normally when it comes to these genres you are wondering with hand by the volume dial when you are going to have to turn up the volume and then turn it down again. Everything is there in the music and surrounds your head - non stop!!! With the Hifimans the sound was almost electrostatic-like with the usual problems regarding lack of deep bass and even distant mids. The i4s are unlike any other headphone that I have ever heard. The more that I listen to them the more that I love them. Words truly do not do them justice. They just smack you in the face with great music.

I'm sure that I will have better words tomorrow but I'm just going through music that I thought I knew - through headphones before. Just take note, there is going to be a lot of push back from those with expensive feedback over these. They will not believe that such sound is possible from 12 gram stick in your ear thingies. I am an enthusiast not a salesperson. When you have a problem, well then I guess in my heart if you are sincere then part of me has a problem. That is what we call humanity. By the same token I don't mind being here to help others when it comes to offering an opinion. Finally, musicday and for you, lie down with your chord, Hugo or Mojo in your bed as the i4s stay in place. If they do move around a bit the sound doesn't change at all. I hereby declare them Mattress Friendly.

Pope BoxSpring
Thanks Rotten Apple, much appreciated.

No need for apologies, although being British I understand the compulsion. If someone bumps into us most of us say sorry. Strange! You may also be interested to know that on the tiny island I live on the traditional way of speaking is to say "eh?" at the end of every sentence. Or you may not eh?

The first thing I did when I opened the box was take a photo. Next I started posting here, photo included. Then I honestly thought "Wait, if I post a photo without including my initial impressions of the sound I'm going to get ribbed by Rotten Apple". After the brief one-sided listening session the wind went out of my sails a bit.

Your comparison with the HE1000v2 is interesting. I find the bass extends down pretty deep with them, but it's not too much for me like some headphones I've tried (like the Pioneer SE-Master 1 and Sony MDR-Z1R). I'm happy with the mids too if I'm honest. They are however a bit laid back at times, so I know where you're coming from. At times I wish for them to grab me by the ears and make me pay attention.

Please keep the words coming, better or not. I love the headphones I have, but I don't always love the feeling of wearing ear-muffs at home. If these are as good as I hope they are I'm seriously considering selling my headphones. I find the iSine 20s very comfortable now, and it's very liberating to wear something so small with such great sound. Especially in Summer when it's hot.

Jun 26, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #327 of 4,795
Yes, I am actually lying down on my bed, head on pillow right now listening to my i4's out of my Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Sounds unbelievable and I the pillow does not disturb the headphones. You can't lie on your side, of course, but laying on your back is very comfortable. Be careful though...the i4's sound so good, you may need tissues to clean up afterward :L3000:
Tears of joy? :innocent:

Jun 26, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #328 of 4,795

Pope BoxSpring
Thank you, one more thing, please. Can you try with a movie with good audio? I would like to know if it gives you the cinema surround with subbass effect.

Jun 26, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #329 of 4,795
Thank you, one more thing, please. Can you try with a movie with good audio? I would like to know if it gives you the cinema surround with subbass effect.
KMann said this to Rotten Apple "But I have a special use case where the LCD-i4 out-do all my full sized cans. I have my own setup for 3D audio similar to Smyth A16 and i4s are ideal for HRTFS based audio. I use it with Netflix and for 5.1ch material I have."

He also said this to me in a PM: "for stereo emulation, i4s beat all my other headphones including the Sr-009, LCD-4 andUtopia, no hype here, in-ears are well suited for stereo emulation as your outer ear does not get in the way".

Given what the iSine 20 can do with stereo emulation through Roon using filters, which Karthick kindly gave to me, I can't wait to see what the LCD-i4s can do.

Jun 26, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #330 of 4,795
The thing that truly impresses me about the LCDi4's is just how B-I-G they sound! In-ears that sound bigger than many full sized open-back headphones too! Such a revolutionary product! I can't wait until later this week when my Hugo 2 arrives and I can try this pairing. I was talking with Sankar the other day and he mentioned this was his "go to" source/driver for his LCDi4s...gonna be a fun weekend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back