Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Apr 23, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #4,591 of 6,385
Ah, OK.  Yes, the Mojo is pretty peculiar with it's alien control scheme.  Thanks for the feedback, I will have a closer look at the Micro iDSD.  I don't mind analytical at all.  I am kinda looking for a decent portable that uses the ESS ES9038PRO chip that has a bit of power.  

Apr 29, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #4,592 of 6,385
The "trick" is: If you press the two volume buttons simultaneously in a certain way, you get full line level - and can use it as a DAC. If you use it as an amp, the output is way lower. Sounds crazy, but that's how it is.

Powerwise, the Micro iDSD is several leagues above. I wouldn't buy one without having listened to it though - it may sound a little "analytical" for some (however I didn't feel that was the case with the LCD-3). If you don't need battery operation, the Micro iCAN might be a good alternative.

No. Line level is just a digital volume preset to 3Vrms that isn't remembered when the unit is powered off. There is absolutely no difference between volume levels in this mode vs 'regular' mode (when set to double blue) except the volume isn't remembered. There is no change in hardware, no change in sound quality. The analogue stage is fixed to the DAC (like a conventional DACs line out) and volume is controlled digitally. It's not an analogue attenuator. The Mojo can't operate as an amp specifically because there is no separate conventional amp in the Mojo, and because of this there is no analogue inputs.

Also, regarding the previous comment about the comparison to the X5, the Mojo is over 2x more powerful and the output is much cleaner than the X5 (I own all X5 generations). Mojo's output is exactly the same as the Hugo delivering 600mW@32 Ohm with 500mA Current output, and X5 is 250mW@32 Ohms with 250mA Current output (all X5 generations are roughly in the same ballpark). Not sure where you're getting your information from but it's not accurate at all.

As far as whether the Mojo can play the LCD-3 to someone's satisfaction that is an entirely personal perspective I can't comment on as I don't have the LCD-3. Mathematically it can do so just fine but one may not enjoy the synergy compared to iFi gear.

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #4,593 of 6,385
No. Line level is just a digital volume preset to 3Vrms that isn't remembered when the unit is powered off. There is absolutely no difference between volume levels in this mode vs 'regular' mode (when set to double blue) except the volume isn't remembered. There is no change in hardware, no change in sound quality. The analogue stage is fixed to the DAC (like a conventional DACs line out) and volume is controlled digitally. It's not an analogue attenuator. The Mojo can't operate as an amp specifically because there is no separate conventional amp in the Mojo, and because of this there is no analogue inputs.

Also, regarding the previous comment about the comparison to the X5, the Mojo is over 2x more powerful and the output is much cleaner than the X5 (I own all X5 generations). Mojo's output is exactly the same as the Hugo delivering 600mW@32 Ohm with 500mA Current output, and X5 is 250mW@32 Ohms with 250mA Current output (all X5 generations are roughly in the same ballpark). Not sure where you're getting your information from but it's not accurate at all.

As far as whether the Mojo can play the LCD-3 to someone's satisfaction that is an entirely personal perspective I can't comment on as I don't have the LCD-3. Mathematically it can do so just fine but one may not enjoy the synergy compared to iFi gear.

Of course you're absolutely right in regard to the output power: I have to confess that I didn't remember the numbers correctly (the problem was actually that I mixed up the specs of the X5 and the E12). It's a good thing, BTW, that you mention the 600mW @ 32 Ohm - sometimes it's hard to compare two devices because the output is given for different impedance values.

I still stick by the second part of my post though. If the point is simply to get the LCD-3 loud enough, the Mojo will do nicely (as I already said). But if you're someone who prefers higher gain stages (and hear the difference in the first place) and/or buy the LCD-3 at least partly for the body it can give to rock music, you'll probably find it lacking. I do think that the synergy I experience with (some!) iFi gear is largely attributable to raw power.

May 1, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #4,594 of 6,385
Of course you're absolutely right in regard to the output power: I have to confess that I didn't remember the numbers correctly (the problem was actually that I mixed up the specs of the X5 and the E12). It's a good thing, BTW, that you mention the 600mW @ 32 Ohm - sometimes it's hard to compare two devices because the output is given for different impedance values.

I still stick by the second part of my post though. If the point is simply to get the LCD-3 loud enough, the Mojo will do nicely (as I already said). But if you're someone who prefers higher gain stages (and hear the difference in the first place) and/or buy the LCD-3 at least partly for the body it can give to rock music, you'll probably find it lacking. I do think that the synergy I experience with (some!) iFi gear is largely attributable to raw power.

I agree with synergy 10000%. If you don't like something don't force it. ; )

Power implementation, to the point of what you deliver to the headphones for your listening level, with room to cover for distortion and dynamics, is the key. Not the amount of power you don't feed by not turning it to ear melting levels. Enough power is different than quality power is different than max power, which all I'm saying.

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #4,598 of 6,385
I love my LCD-3F's and I hope you find joy in yours FiGuy1017. What amp will you using to drive them?

May 15, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #4,600 of 6,385
Haa I wish! I've been reading this thread for along time but haven't bought them ...yet. Hope to though :) I will add my dislike with the new layout ..yeah I'll blame that.. that information was meant for the buyer of my ican.

Oh okay, you know everyone love when there's a new member to the club!

Jul 8, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #4,601 of 6,385
Hello forum!

I purchased an Audeze LCD-2 Rev. 2 around a month ago and absolutely fell in love with them!
However, I recently was able to purchase an Audeze LCD-3 Pre-Fazor for $900.

Can anyone tell me what the sonic difference are between these two?

Thanks,
Patrick

Jul 8, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #4,602 of 6,385
Hello forum!

I purchased an Audeze LCD-2 Rev. 2 around a month ago and absolutely fell in love with them!

The LCD3 prefazor had a unique diaphragm that was very thin. About half (or 1/3rd) the thickness of the LCD2 diaphragm. So the detail retrieval, resolution was comparably higher. It was also slightly brighter than the original LCD2s

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jul 8, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #4,603 of 6,385
The LCD3 prefazor had a unique diaphragm that was very thin. About half (or 1/3rd) the thickness of the LCD2 diaphragm. So the detail retrieval, resolution was comparably higher. It was also slightly brighter than the original LCD2s

When saying that they are slightly brighter than the original LCD2s .. are your referring to LCD-2 Rev.1, Rev. 2 or both?

Jul 9, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #4,605 of 6,385
Hello forum!

Thanks,
Patrick

Both have a pleasing rolled off treble, with the LCD3 Pre-razor being greatly more refined and resolving.

The LCD 2.2 has more of a bass emphasis, while the classic LCD 3 is balanced, with a slight mid bump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back