ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jun 6, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #3,766 of 9,706
Posted impression on post #3756

Jun 6, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #3,767 of 9,706
I have not tried out Jazz and Classical yet, only listening to them out of LGV20.
Call me crazy, but I am using them on commute to work

Ha - you're not crazy! I actually tested them both on my LGV10 that @Hisoundfi talked me into buying as my "portable source tester." I try to test all our headphones on a bunch of sources before finalizing tuning as I realize not everyone has expensive OTL amps. I also used the Audioquest Dragonfly black a bit as well. Anyways, cool phone, I love mine.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 6, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #3,768 of 9,706
Ha - you're not crazy! I actually tested them both on my LGV10 that @Hisoundfi talked me into buying as my "portable source tester." I try to test all our headphones on a bunch of sources before finalizing tuning as I realize not everyone has expensive OTL amps. I also used the Audioquest Dragonfly black a bit as well. Anyways, cool phone, I love mine.

We are both crazy haha! As crazy as I am, I still can't take them for rollerblading, I am still using my too-small-for-my-ears momentum as they need not be babied.
Any portable headphones you know with the same signature as Eikon or Atticus, or is that consideration already in your pipeline :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #3,769 of 9,706
+1 on the whole V10/V20 talk.

This phone often times has me leaving my dedicated DAP at home and opting for an extra battery instead.

The V20 rocks with my Eikon. I feel like this headphone is the perfect combination of musicality and detail. Maybe not the greatest pair of headphones on the planet, but definitely one the best in its price range IMHO.

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #3,770 of 9,706

For what its worth, all my positive impressions on the Eikon were from that very same "B-stock" that was sold.

The quality was all there (being new) and I didn't notice anything other than the wood grain not being in same direction on both cups.

It wasn't a big issue, look:
Screenshot_2017-06-06-14-48-39.png
It seems from looking at the grains ,
The block of wood seems if was cut at an angle to the grain, giving a very striking appearance of long pores...
Very coool and unique once you get over the fact that the other cup looked more normal.

This was a valid reason to be "b-stock"?
Looks so because the cups were not a perfect match.

Anyways If a person had an opportunity to get a "B-stock" for much lower price and not have to wait, wouldnt that be a "no-brainer"? as the quality was all there.
Yet we will probably never see B-stock again now..

Production flaw happens to any company headphones wich is why QC is there.
I remember my Ether Flow had defective cups which slipped thru QC which I returned.
Yet this headphone was not a flaw, it was made "b-stock" to get the unit out quicker to the buyer.

Regardless, Zack quality sound still there as I can personally attest to that.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #3,771 of 9,706
For what its worth, all my positive impressions on the Eikon were from that very same "B-stock" that was sold.

The quality was all there (being new) and I didn't notice anything other than the wood grain not being in same direction on both cups.

The block of wood seems if was cut at an angle to the grain, giving a very striking appearance of long pores...
Very coool and unique once you get over the fact that the other cup looked more normal.

Anyways If a person had an opportunity to get a "B-stock" for much lower price and not have to wait, wouldnt that be a "no-brainer"? as the quality was all there.

I remember my Ether Flow had defective cups which slipped thru QC which I returned.
Yet this headphone was not a flaw, it was made "b-stock" to get the unit out quicker to the buyer.

Actually, the issue with his are a small crack by the XLR jack. But Zach finished it up really nice and you can barely notice it's there http://i.imgur.com/iPgiUFZ.png

I am the owner of the other pair of B-Stock Eikons, and I can confirm they sound just like normal. I have no plans to sell mine, and the b-stock just makes them unique to me.

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #3,772 of 9,706
+1 on the whole V10/V20 talk.

This phone often times has me leaving my dedicated DAP at home and opting for an extra battery instead.

The V20 rocks with my Eikon. I feel like this headphone is the perfect combination of musicality and detail. Maybe not the greatest pair of headphones on the planet, but definitely one the best in its price range IMHO.

Are you using V10 or V20, listening to music on V20 with Eikon or Atticus for an hour only decreased the battery by 4%, really regretting buying the spare battery with charger kit

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #3,773 of 9,706

Netherwind already addressed it, but one of the cups was repaired for a small crack.

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #3,774 of 9,706
Are you using V10 or V20, listening to music on V20 with Eikon or Atticus for an hour only decreased the battery by 4%, really regretting buying the spare battery with charger kit

Protip on the V20, you have to actually enable the quad DAC setting. Maybe you already knew that, but it'll drain your battery very fast when you enable it.

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #3,775 of 9,706
Any portable headphones you know with the same signature as Eikon or Atticus, or is that consideration already in your pipeline :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Yeah, we need a portable ZMF :)

So far, 5 portables have a "similar" type driver :

B&W P5, P7, P9
Dennon ah mm400
Creative E-MU Walnut
:)

Edit: they all have a driver which looks similar, like a real speaker,
instead of a see thru plastic dome with ruffled edges we see on all other crap headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #3,776 of 9,706
Protip on the V20, you have to actually enable the quad DAC setting. Maybe you already knew that, but it'll drain your battery very fast when you enable it.
Ya, I think the biggest downfall of the V10/V20 is the battery life. I have a ton of apps, use my phone for work, check Head-Fi several times a day, as well as use it for Facebook and YouTube. I go through at least two, and sometimes three full batteries a day. And yes, the quad DAC drains the piss out of my battery.

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #3,777 of 9,706
Yeah, we need a portable ZMF :)

So far, 5 portables have a "similar" type driver :

B&W P5, P7, P9
Dennon ah mm400
Creative E-MU Walnut
:)

Edit: they all have a driver which looks similar, like a real speaker instead of a see thru plastic dome with ruffled egdges.
+1

A more portable version of the Eikon or Atticus would be legendary

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #3,778 of 9,706
+1

A more portable version of the Eikon or Atticus would be legendary
Damm..
Wow, could you imagine the look of exact replica Eikon cup in miniature?!!
A mini eikon cup portable would *look* amazing! Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back