ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Oct 1, 2016 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9,667
Atticus and Eikon
 ​
Living right on the Wisconsin/Illinois border, I am fortunate to be able to attend many of the audio shows in the greater Chicago area. One of the things I look forward to with these meets is having a chance to chat with @zach915m from ZMF. It's always fun to chat about gear and check out his booth. Anyone who attends these meets will agree, Zach is one of the coolest and nicest dudes you will ever meet in this hobby. Usual talks include baseball, audio gear and music. Every now and then Zach would hint on his aspirations to break free from the modded Fostex drivers and produce his first dynamic driver headphone. Occasional communications discussed progress with his all-original design of the dynamic driver headphone. A few times over the course of the last year Zach would send a beta sample with a dynamic driver in an Omni cup and ask my thoughts on the product. Nothing he sent was a disappointment in terms of sound quality.​
 ​
Zach recently purchased a home in Chicago, moving the ZMF headquarters as well. I went to pay him a visit and check out the new shop. At that time I had a chance to experience one of the final beta samples of the new headphone.​
 ​
When a picture leaked on the Omni page I asked him if the cat was out of the bag. It was at that point Zach gave me the okay to start a thread. Zach sent me some more pictures to help get the thread started. ​
 ​
Introducing the ZMF Eikon and Atticus
 ​
Atticus: TPE Driver, 300 ohms
 ​
Eikon: Biocellulose Driver, 300 Ohms ​
 ​
MSRP is TBD​
 ​

*Both will be available in cherry or padauk and denoted by a stamp.
 ​

*Click on images for a larger view
 ​
For now, I won't discuss tuning until impressions from RMAF start rolling in. All I can say for now is the last tuning I heard sounded excellent. It was tuned by Zach, so we should have an idea of what to expect. The design/build reminds me of a Sony R10 and ZMF Omni lovechild. It's heavy duty from top to bottom.​
 ​
More information to come. ​
 ​

​
 ​

Oct 1, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 9,667
300ohms, look like a 650 killer:flushed:

Oct 1, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 9,667

I'll be at RMAF!  I can't wait to hear these!

Do I see angled drivers, or is the light messing with my eyes?

Oct 1, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 9,667
"To break free from Fostex modded drivers", eh? Darn. I was going to personally message him and ask if he's ever thought of makng his own ZMF line of modded 'phones from the Fostex TR 70-90 line. They aren't that popular, even here on Head-Fi, but I'd imagine Zach could do great things with them as he's done with the T50RPs. 

Oct 1, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #8 of 9,667
Im excited to own a pair of these one day. Im sure they will give me that midrange realism I was missing with the Elears. Atleast that is what I have come to expect from Zach. 

Oct 1, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #9 of 9,667
Zack's a great dude.

Can't wait to hear his new babies!

popcorn.gif

Oct 1, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #11 of 9,667
"To break free from Fostex modded drivers", eh? Darn. I was going to personally message him and ask if he's ever thought of makng his own ZMF line of modded 'phones from the Fostex TR 70-90 line. They aren't that popular, even here on Head-Fi, but I'd imagine Zach could do great things with them as he's done with the T50RPs. 
It doesn't mean he's done with Fostex modded cans all together. This is the next step in the evolution of ZMF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back