Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Dec 29, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #3,421 of 3,573

The Essence One is a well-designed DAC and headphone amp.

The volume pot could be regarded as a weak spot, but I do not see it as an issue if you are keeping it fixed at maximum (or at a high level) while using the volume control of the Yulong. A fixed output DAC could provide a cleaner signal path, but I am not so sure of the actual benefits.

You can unplug the "IDE" cable used to adjust the internal volume and purchase a connector to short-circuit input/output pins (or just solder small straps correctly on the back of the motherboard), based on Jimmy's findings and schematic, but I really don't think you'll gain anything in regard with signal-noise ratio.

Quote:

http://jimmyauw.com/2013/04/21/demystifying-asus-xonar-essence-one-potentiometer-volume-control/ If you really want to try an upgrade, among commercial products I would suggest the TEAC UD-501 which has an excellent dual-monaural architecture with double transformer. The newer UD-503 is also an excellent product with a very fine preamplifier stage and balanced headphone amp, but not taking advantage of those features would be a waste of money.

After the mods I've done to my Essence One MUSES/BURSON MKii I wouldn't trade it for an UD-501, honestly. Instead, I might move on the UD-503, mostly because of the active ground feature, but also other pluses ofc. :)

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #3,422 of 3,573
  After the mods I've done to my Essence One MUSES/BURSON MKii I wouldn't trade it for an UD-501, honestly. Instead, I might move on the UD-503, mostly because of the active ground feature, but also other pluses ofc. :)

Typo?
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #3,423 of 3,573
  Typo?
biggrin.gif

Well, not really: http://www.head-fi.org/t/542563/asus-essence-one-headphone-amp-dac-cebit-2011/3375#post_12959422

P.S.: In case you like reading, feel free to try out:
- kill_trafo_hum_noise
PSU_PCB_ground_issue+replacing_+/-12V_regulators (more details here)
-12V_ground_loop
- replacing_+5V_regulator
- EMI/RFI_filter
dedicated_+5V_PSU_for_PCM1795_only
MUSES01_in_IV
- more_bypass&decoupling
- BURSON_SS_V5
- BURSON_SS_V5i
- MKii_upgrade_EEPROM
- installing_the_DSD_upgrade

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #3,424 of 3,573
  Well, not really: http://www.head-fi.org/t/542563/asus-essence-one-headphone-amp-dac-cebit-2011/3375#post_12959422

I know.  Someone might think you are referring to the external Burson MKII amp the way you laid it out 
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #3,426 of 3,573
Not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask, but how do you differentiate between the Essence One and the Essence One Muses edition, aside from looking at the op amps? Is there any physical difference between the two on the outside? 

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #3,427 of 3,573
It has been discussed a lot in previous pages from this thread, but I'll try to reply from memory:
- MUSES01 in I/V
- MUSES02 in LPF (optionally, only for MKii ver. with DSD playback or if purchased separately)
- logarithmic volume potentiometer for headphones (regular E1 has linear pot. and volume is too high for sensitive cans, even at 9 o'clock)
- possibility of adjusting the output gain from internal jumpers (std. E1 has no such jumpers, but can be added later by DIY)
- some say there might be differences between the PCB versions, but I'm not sure this is true and if it means something

Physically are exactly the same, though top colour is a bit different between versions: golden, black.

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #3,428 of 3,573
Muses and Regular have different Color dragons on top.

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #3,429 of 3,573
I have the Asus Essence One Muses and was thinking of getting the DSD upgrade kit.
As I use the headphone amplifer and not the XLR or RCA outputs would I be able to use the two Muses02 in the upgrade kit to replace the headphone buffer as I l already have Muses01 in the I/V and LPF.

Has anyone already tried this, if so what difference doe sit make?  

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #3,430 of 3,573
Hi, 

Yes, of course you do. You can also mix MUSES02 and MUSE01 between LPF and VAS (voltage amplification of your headamp).

After the DSD upgrade was complete your DAC becomes the MKii version and the upsampling is way better (no more treble rolloff) and DSD playback is enabled. More about this here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/720245/asus-essence-one-mkii-mkii-muses-edition/15#post_11846812

If, for some reason, you don't need the MUSES02, then have a look here too: http://www.head-fi.org/t/776696/asus-xonar-essence-one-dsd-upgrade-from-mki-to-mkii. Personally I do have MUSES02 purchased and I can recommend them for Essence One.

Cheers!

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #3,431 of 3,573
ASUS Essence One MUSES Edition "Specialie"

Departing my Essence One MUSES if anyone is interested.
  1. Power & Ribbon cable upgrade
  2. Elna Silmic II & Nichicon KA electrolytic capacitor upgrade
  3. LME49710HA (4) for Headphone Output with Heatsink
  4. LME49710HA (2) for RCA Output | LME49720NA (2) for XLR Output
  5. Improved thermal performance (Artic Silver 5)

Has some light scruffs on it but performs excellent.

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #3,433 of 3,573
The Silmic II's have thicker leads than other caps.  Did you have to ream out the pcb in order to take the Silmics?

Not at all. I use an industrial solder sucker and a METCAL high precision temperature controlled soldering iron. They all managed to fit. I wouldn't recommend doing it as it wasn't very easy.

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #3,434 of 3,573
my time to post :) just received a couple of the famous SS Burson the V5i for the lpf stage, and it seem they do a bad job since they bring a lot of noise on the background. For those that use them in the same position as me or for those that at least they had them in the past for any reason, testing included, did u ever notice anything like that ?

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #3,435 of 3,573
Hi Grig, 

I'm using right now V5i in LPF and VAS and I have no issues with noise at all; also, no oscillations were found with my scope. Please check my previous posts on this thread for details.

Instead, I had this noise you're talking about when V5i were used in Matrix HPA-3B headamp; also, other headfiers had the same issue with V5i when used in different equipment. I believe there's sort of interference or even a small oscillation that may happen under odd circumstances.

Cheers, 
Raul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back