Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Jun 28, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #706 of 2,698
What do you guys think about this review? http://www.headfonia.com/review-astell-kern-ak-kann-power-to-the-people/

Lieven preferred and mentioned the sound was better on the AK70.

wow that review now totally destroys my confidence in anything they will ever publish again, I think that reviewer was high or something while writing it and got all impressions and facts messed up

As that is in no way even remotely true to what I heard, taking in consideration I owned ak380, ak100ii, and many other daps. As for AK 70 I heard it for over a week when I borrowed it from a friend, and it fails miserably

AK kann beats all the daps I own, yes I am selling mine not because I have an issue with KANN but because I moved mainly to headphones and I rely on stacking using my alo mk3 B, as to ak70 man that dap is a joke compared to ak kann

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #708 of 2,698
Somebody asked about real-world battery life: 11.25 hours in my test (see chart).

FYI that test was cycling through my Sinatra albums, all .m4a, most 16bit/44.1kHz, one album (6% of total) 24/96. The charge depletion was consistently about 8.6%/hr. So, I just did a quick test of a DSD album (2.8MHz), and the drop over 2 hours was 23%, 11.5%/hr.

And that's it for my battery-life testing career.

(My screen shut-off time is 5 minutes, For my test I mostly but not always clicked the screen off after checking the percentage, so screen-on time was short. I spend little time looking at the screen while listening, so doesn't matter to me if the battery life with screen on is much shorter.)

Jun 28, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #709 of 2,698
wow that review now totally destroys my confidence in anything they will ever publish again, I think that reviewer was high or something while writing it and got all impressions and facts messed up

As that is in no way even remotely true to what I heard, taking in consideration I owned ak380, ak100ii, and many other daps. As for AK 70 I heard it for over a week when I borrowed it from a friend, and it fails miserably

AK kann beats all the daps I own, yes I am selling mine not because I have an issue with KANN but because I moved mainly to headphones and I rely on stacking using my alo mk3 B, as to ak70 man that dap is a joke compared to ak kann

OK. Wait. "KANN is amazing amazing"
Better? :o2smile:

Jun 28, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #710 of 2,698
Jul 1, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #711 of 2,698
I am beginning to feel attached to this DAP. Awesome...powers my Dream perfectly. It doesn't take as much to power my Zeus XR but the pairing is pretty incredible.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #713 of 2,698
As far as I am concern I will not ask this type of question in the forum
Helpful members may have answer the question but will be very misleading as it is individual liking.
Can you find 2 person with the same thumbprint or shall I say can you find 2 person of the same hearing ?
Best is to spent some time to test out the gear personally in a audio shop will be a wiser approach as it is your hard earn money which you are spending
Unless you tell me you purchase a product based on what other say.

Jul 2, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #714 of 2,698
As far as I am concern I will not ask this type of question in the forum
Helpful members may have answer the question but will be very misleading as it is individual liking.
Can you find 2 person with the same thumbprint or shall I say can you find 2 person of the same hearing ?
Best is to spent some time to test out the gear personally in a audio shop will be a wiser approach as it is your hard earn money which you are spending
Unless you tell me you purchase a product based on what other say.
I have beginning to feel attached to this DAP. Awesome...powers my Dream perfectly. It doesn't take as much to power my Zeus XR but the pairing is pretty incredible.
Which are you liking beter Opus2 or the KANN?
If your talking to me you basically just wasted a bunch of time. The purpose of these threads to see what peoples likes and dislikes are. I have been a member for quite some time and have fimiliarized myself with others and have a great idea of what there sound preference is compared with mine. Thanks anyway though.

Jul 2, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #715 of 2,698
Which are you liking beter Opus2 or the KANN?
If your talking to me you basically just wasted a bunch of time. The purpose of these threads to see what peoples likes and dislikes are. I have been a member for quite some time and have fimiliarized myself with others and have a great idea of what there sound preference is compared with mine. Thanks anyway though.
Thanks howdy....saved me from saying it.

Howdy to answer your question. If I could have one DAP I would choose the Kann. Both units have great battery life, but Kann had the bigger battery, however the Opus #2 sips battery when resting. Storage; the Kann has the 2 card slots, I am rocking a 512GB SD card Sandisk Extreme Pro couldn't ask for more. Power; the Kann has more power, especially using the 2.5mm balanced connection, can power HD650 with authority as well as the Dream IEM's which gobble up power.

Sound quality is interesting...I would like a little more time but I can say that the Opus#2 is fairly neutral and delivers excellent quality, just based on signature alone. The Kann is a touch warmer but it's sound is growing on me. I think the stage of the Kann may be a little wider.

Jul 2, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #716 of 2,698
Thanks howdy....saved me from saying it.

Howdy to answer your question. If I could have one DAP I would choose the Kann. Both units have great battery life, but Kann had the bigger battery, however the Opus #2 sips battery when resting. Storage; the Kann has the 2 card slots, I am rocking a 512GB SD card Sandisk Extreme Pro couldn't ask for more. Power; the Kann has more power, especially using the 2.5mm balanced connection, can power HD650 with authority as well as the Dream IEM's which gobble up power.

Sound quality is interesting...I would like a little more time but I can say that the Opus#2 is fairly neutral and delivers excellent quality, just based on signature alone. The Kann is a touch warmer but it's sound is growing on me. I think the stage of the Kann may be a little wider.
Thanks for your input! I keep leaning towards the KANN for the same reasons you listed above and the fact that its all in one, no more double stacking. I do like having one warm source as they are "fun".

Jul 2, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #717 of 2,698
Thanks for your input! I keep leaning towards the KANN for the same reasons you listed above and the fact that its all in one, no more double stacking. I do like having one warm source as they are "fun".
Based on that as the things you wish for in a DAP you would more than likely be happy with the Kann.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back