Are we getting old?
Aug 20, 2016 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

Coq de Combat

Headphoneus Supremus
This age thing is rather peculiar. It's so relative. However, there has to be some kind of objective measurement to this.

I believe I am part of Generation X (born 1980), and I still feel so young despite turning 36 this year. Am I a grown up? Am I getting old? What do you say?

How old are you and how old is old?

The reason I'm thinking about this is because I had a revelation in the "Are you a console or PC gamer" thread. I was plastering old console and PC game videos from the Atari 2600 and Commodore 64, and it kind of just hit me: whoah, are we getting old? I mean those of us who were there for the major uprise of video games. Now, obviously I know the saying "You're only as old as you feel" or about age being merely a number, but considering me having two kids, with the oldest turning 9 in january, I'm starting to believe that I'm turning into my parents when I was a kid, and as we all know, parents are old. I don't know. I don't feel old, but perhaps I am getting old. No age crisis going on or anything, don't worry, I just got curious..

So, what do you think about age? How old are you? What characterises your age, and so on. Tell me about your age and opinions about it. 

Aug 20, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 63
What a hilarious coincidence. The next random thread I click on is yours, and right after our short conversation on my thread, which you mentioned here!

I'm 29. Starting to feel a little old, but still quite young in the scheme of things.

I'd say we're both part of Generation Y, though. Here are some quotes from Google.

Generation X: the generation born after that of the baby boomers (roughly from the early 1960s to mid 1970s), often perceived to be disaffected and directionless.

Generation Y: the generation born in the 1980s and 1990s, comprising primarily the children of the baby boomers and typically perceived as increasingly familiar with digital and electronic technology.

Aug 20, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 63
  What a hilarious coincidence. The next random thread I click on is yours, and right after our short conversation on my thread, which you mentioned here!

I'm 29. Starting to feel a little old, but still quite young in the scheme of things.

I'd say we're both part of Generation Y, though. Here are some quotes from Google.

Wiki says:

Many demographers use dates which correspond to the strict fertility patterns in the population, which results in a Generation X starting date of 1965, such as Pew Research Center which uses a range of 1965–1980,[12] MetLife which uses 1965-1976,[3] Australia’s McCrindle Research Center which uses 1965–1979,[13] and Gallup which also uses 1965–1979.[14]

The Generation X Report, a quarterly research report from The Longitudinal Study of American Youth, a National Science Foundation study conducted at the University of Michigan, defines Generation X as those born between 1961–1981.[15] Generation X, a six-part 2016 documentary series produced by National Geographic, also uses a 1961–1981 birth range.[16][17] PricewaterhouseCoopers, a multinational professional services network headquartered in London, describes Generation X employees as those born from the early 1960s to the early 1980s.[18]

Author Jeff Gordinier, in his 2008 book X Saves the World: defines Generation X as those born roughly between 1961-1977 but possibly as late as 1980.[19]

So it seems like I'm Gen X to some, and Gen Y to others, some inbetweener so to say.

But yeah, it was a fun coincidence. Our dialogue really got me thinking about it. It's not like it's a big deal, but I got curious about it. I think objectively that 20-something is still considered young, and 30-something is more of a grown up age. My father is 58, and according to him he's never felt better about his age. Seems like to him life's like wine, the older the better. Now, obviously this is probably linked to physical health as well, however, it's still fun to see someone not getting a mid-life crisis but instead just enjoying being older. That being said, yeah, he's just gotten a license for motorcycles and started collecting tattoos and a goatee beard - LOL

Sep 13, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 63
Honestly, our perceptions about age and age groups are defined by society. It's impossible not to feel old at some point if you're ageing out of the main target demographic and the fact that the whole industry/mass mentality is based on the idea of youth and perfection. Though understandable, getting to the point of being an unhealthy obsession. 
frown.gif

Realistically, age is a physical characteristic that isn't the better part of you and doesn't or shouldn't define your personal and mental self which matters the most in my opinion.

Although getting older isn't ideal, everyone experiences it and you can't have everything at the same time, like being knowledgeable, experienced, wise and be young at the same time. It's impossible. Besides, people will always continue to want the things they can't have.

I'm 22 this year and sometimes I look back and wonder where my late teen and early adult years have gone while trying to remember what I did during that time... or what I did that was worthwhile.

But I've mostly made peace with it. It doesn't really matter if your age supercedes people's perceptions on what your personality should be or how you should act, because at the end of the day, you have to be happy about who you are in order to live with yourself. 
redface.gif

Sep 13, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 63
I'm 39, born in '77. My first PC with an internet connection was after I finished my degree. We are of a generation where some of our contemporaries seem very matured and others still youthful.

I personally find myself with friends of all ages and backgrounds. Some people I connect or resonate more with, some less. Age doesn't seem to come into it for me, it's just different mindsets and different people's life journey experience.

I have, like everyone else, had concern or worries about the effect of my age on my identity. But, as I've gotten older, I've worried less about that and just enjoyed my place in the multitude of it all!

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #6 of 63
man i'm 17, i'm a gen z'er. i love generation x. they gave us so many awesome stuff:

nirvana 
alice in chains
pearl jam
mudhoney
soundgarden
sonic youth
rage against the machine
tool
stone temple pilots
pantera
megadeth
anthrax
slayer
faith no more
white zombie
ministry
screaming trees
smashing pumpkins
mad season

they are definitely the best generation. and i'm glad our generation is more related to them that boomers/millenials since they are mostly our parents.  

Sep 22, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 63
Bona-fide gen X. 46 years old. Still loving life, keeping fit, learning something new daily and feeling blessed to have not died from my crazy exploits. But most of all happily in love w/my wife of many years now.

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 63
Kudos to you Coq de Combat for coming up with this topic/ thread.  It's an excellent topic/ subject to think, talk & exchange ideas/ opinion/ suggestions about.

I turned 61 this year.  This was not suppose to happen to me, it was my parents age, my uncles, aunts, neighbours, etc.  It's a paradox : in a way, I'm enjoying life more in my autumn years mostly due to finding serenity and peace of mind.  Nothing lasts, it's a fact & nobody beats time so the best way I've found to live is in the moment, as best I can.  After all it's the only reality because yesterday is gone & tomorrow isn't here yet nor is it guaranteed.  

I don't profess to do this perfectly but I live it better than I did before.  Another thing I try to remember on a daily basis is to be grateful for everything that has been granted me : health, a home, a good wife, very good kids (now grown adults), 3 meals a day, good friends, a great community to live in, life experience & as mentioned before peace of mind, no regrets.  I also believe everything in my life has happened for a reason & has led me to where & who I am today which leads to this basic question : "would I trade places with someone else" ?  
No I wouldn't.

Now family, friends, time & health have taken priority in my life & I try to make the best of it on a daily basis.  Life is good.  Don't sweat the small things, it's not worth it.  Some people don't like me : they're allowed & it's none of my business.  Nobody owes me anything.  I have everything I need : everything else is a bonus.  I can only do the best I can & nothing more; some days my best isn't as good as other days; hey, I'm human.  I try not to take myself too seriously & get rid of resentments when they prop up because they are killers (a resentment is like pissing down your own leg, you're the only one who feels it).  

This is where my journey has taken me.  Hope all of yours is a fruitful and fulfilled life.  One more I just remembered : Happiness is a byproduct of my actions especially when they are not centred on the self.  By doing things for others and not expecting anything in return is the best way I've found of getting to know who I am.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - John Lennon

Sep 23, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #11 of 63
Kudos to you Coq de Combat for coming up with this topic/ thread.  It's an excellent topic/ subject to think, talk & exchange ideas/ opinion/ suggestions about.

I turned 61 this year.  This was not suppose to happen to me, it was my parents age, my uncles, aunts, neighbours, etc.  It's a paradox : in a way, I'm enjoying life more in my autumn years mostly due to finding serenity and peace of mind.  Nothing lasts, it's a fact & nobody beats time so the best way I've found to live is in the moment, as best I can.  After all it's the only reality because yesterday is gone & tomorrow isn't here yet nor is it guaranteed.  

I don't profess to do this perfectly but I live it better than I did before.  Another thing I try to remember on a daily basis is to be grateful for everything that has been granted me : health, a home, a good wife, very good kids (now grown adults), 3 meals a day, good friends, a great community to live in, life experience & as mentioned before peace of mind, no regrets.  I also believe everything in my life has happened for a reason & has led me to where & who I am today which leads to this basic question : "would I trade places with someone else" ?  
No I wouldn't.

Now family, friends, time & health have taken priority in my life & I try to make the best of it on a daily basis.  Life is good.  Don't sweat the small things, it's not worth it.  Some people don't like me : they're allowed & it's none of my business.  Nobody owes me anything.  I have everything I need : everything else is a bonus.  I can only do the best I can & nothing more; some days my best isn't as good as other days; hey, I'm human.  I try not to take myself too seriously & get rid of resentments when they prop up because they are killers (a resentment is like pissing down your own leg, you're the only one who feels it).  

This is where my journey has taken me.  Hope all of yours is a fruitful and fulfilled life.  One more I just remembered : Happiness is a byproduct of my actions especially when they are not centred on the self.  By doing things for others and not expecting anything in return is the best way I've found of getting to know who I am.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - John Lennon
Wow. So eloquently spoken. I hope I am where you are now when I get there myself.

Sep 23, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #15 of 63
Op, you are 1 year older than me and I feel old. My joints hurt, it's so much easier to gain weight, losing my hair, feel like I'm starting to forget things. It's terrible. After much contemplation I'd say getting old started when I turned 24, which is when my hairline began its retreat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back