Anyone know who makes Beats MIXR headphones? Monster or Dr. Dre?
Jul 1, 2012 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

HiFiGuy528

Member of the Trade: Woo Audio
I understand that Dr. Dre and Monster Cable broke up.  Is the MIXR headphones the first Dr. Dre made headphones or was it build by Monster before their breakup?

I think it's the BEST looking Beats headphones.

Where did this guy get his RED MIXR?

Jul 1, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 43
As for the Red Beats Mixr's, I assume that it's a special custom order for that guy (who I assume is Chris Brown?).

Couldn't find a Red Version of it on their website so I assume all of the links on Google are fakes.

Jul 1, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 43
you can probably colorware it

The MIXR is not available from Colorware, not on their web site.

Do you guys think Dr. Dre would make a better sounding headphone?

Jul 1, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 43
That headphone has been around for a while; I always forget it's name though. But it was announced some time ago - I don't think it's very popular (I've never seen one on the street or mentioned here on Head-Fi aside from in passing; I saw them in BB finally, and they are...highly unimpressive). I want to say they cost around $200 though, so if you wanted to try one, it's probably the least expensive. No idea about the special coloring; there's a lot of celebrity types that seem to have customized Beats headphones as part of some promotional deal (and Colorware may be making them, but they are likely one-offs).

Anyways, I would say that anything branded "Beats" is probably not going to indicate true hi-fi; this isn't an elitist comment though. Think about it for a moment - Monster makes its own line of headphones, that don't get slaughtered in reviews, and most of the rest of their products are equally not as universally hated. However the other Beats endorsed products from HP and HTC are equally poorly regarded. So it strikes me as kind of a branding badge to sell products to 13 year old boys - not as something like THX or what-have-you that tries to establish some (artificial) hi-fi bar. At least that's my understanding/view of the entire affair. Perhaps the non-Monster products will be better, but I'm doubting it; they'd have to team up with an OEM like Fostex or Edifier to turn out something really stellar, and I'm guessing they're not interested in that because it means lower margins. I don't think these people care about delivering a top-tier product (it isn't like say, Ultrasone, who actually puts time and effort into building what they consider to be the best (we can have a discussion about how weird their perception of reality is another time), and ends up with fairly expensive headphones as a result).

Jul 1, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 43
Monter Turbine IEM are actually very good so I think they can make a decent sounding product.  I just like the look of the MIXR headphones.  :)

Does the MIXR headphones sound bad playing David Guttea music?

Jul 1, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 43
I haven't ever heard them play audio; only seen a non-working demo. They feel very cheap and unsatisfying in the hand, and are much smaller than the picture would lead you to believe (or at least, they seemed smaller than they should've been to me). I'm curious how they sound also - but have no real way to try them without paying for them. And I'm not keen on that on a whim...:xf_eek:

Jul 1, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:
Monter Turbine IEM are actually very good so I think they can make a decent sounding product.  I just like the look of the MIXR headphones.  :)

never had a chance to try out the mixr or monster turbine and i think mixr just looks like a smaller version of beats pro and im not a fan of on ear headphones.

Jul 1, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #12 of 43
Looks like he likes Pioneer. :D

Jul 1, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

never had a chance to try out the mixr or monster turbine and i think mixr just looks like a smaller version of beats pro and im not a fan of on ear headphones.

I've tried the Mixr, albeit briefly.  From what I took away from the audition, the construction was nice but they clamped too tightly and the pads were surprisingly stiff making them an unpleasant experience even before pumping music for them.  Cycling through some content furthered my dislike for them: v-shaped signature, grainy, and congested/recessed midrange.  Oddly, they seemed very one-note not only in the bass but also in the treble.  It was like a wall of noise at each end of the tonal spectrum that bookended a really unnatural midrange.  I have no idea how new they were or if they could have possibly improved with some burn-in, but from what I heard they're an inarticulate mess of a headphone that, in my opinion, feels great in the hand and looks pretty darn nice.

Jul 1, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #14 of 43

I did not enjoy the Monster Turbine at all. I ended up getting the Shure SE425 (then later upgrading that to the se535).

Jul 2, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:
I did not enjoy the Monster Turbine at all. I ended up getting the Shure SE425 (then later upgrading that to the se535).

for me it was etymotic hf5 and then ultimate ears trifi10 (which didnt get much listening time because of the fit), i mostly used the hf5 but now im ditching iems at a whole and im only using over ears headphones now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back