Any opinions / reviews on Gemtune APPJ PA1502A
Apr 2, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #301 of 876

Nice job in a very tiny case!

Thanks! Fortunately the Jupiters are smaller than the Audyns by a lot. The caps would have fitted better if I had removed one of the posts but they just squeeze in atm. Also I didn't use bypass caps for the cathode caps because the Kaisei's are supposed to be that good anyway. I will try to look out for any missing treble when I've done the listening test.

I would imagine the whole top end (treble region) getting allot more natural with the copper foils, and more soundstage and air.

Those electrolyctics are good,
all great choices made.

The caps do need plenty of burn in time. 
I believe mine seemed to settle in after 90hrs.

This amp achieves really really top quality sound now,
yet I believe it is so small in size,
It looks hard to take seriously , lol

Apr 3, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #302 of 876
These are only my initial impressions now because I've only had limited listening time due to my ear problem, but immediately the sense of realism is evident especially in voices, and the sound is full bodied and the textural details in the music appear to be very striking. I don't want to say too much before I've had the chance to have more listening time.....

I really think though that this is a very worthwhile mod on an incredible value amp.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #303 of 876
These are only my initial impressions now because I've only had limited listening time due to my ear problem, but immediately the sense of realism is evident especially in voices, and the sound is full bodied and the textural details in the music appear to be very striking. I don't want to say too much before I've had the chance to have more listening time.....

I really think though that this is a very worthwhile mod on an incredible value amp.

I think the next upgrade is the output transformer.
Which will cost more than the amp itself....

On the other hand. My itchy hands is testing the appj with Philips 6L6G

I will report my findings

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #304 of 876
I think the next upgrade is the output transformer.
Which will cost more than the amp itself....

On the other hand. My itchy hands is testing the appj with Philips 6L6G

I will report my findings

Look forward to hearing them!

I've already doubled the cost of the amp thanks to the Jupiter caps, but they're the best thing I could have done, the sound is headbangingly good now, everything's gone up a level and I've very happy. I know coupling caps are supposed to be a weak link in amp design but I don't know how they've done it but they appear to have actually increased the transparency by a large measure!

Interested to hear your experiences with the transformers, I think that you might have a job finding better ones, they're already quite good I think, but good luck!

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #305 of 876

I've already doubled the cost of the amp thanks to the Jupiter caps, but they're the best thing I could have done, the sound is headbangingly good now, everything's gone up a level and I've very happy. I know coupling caps are supposed to be a weak link in amp design but I don't know how they've done it but they appear to have actually increased the transparency by a large measure!

Interested to hear your experiences with the transformers, I think that you might have a job finding better ones, they're already quite good I think, but good luck!

Report on the Philips 6L6G
Music presentation is very clear but too forward for my liking

To get the best output transformer meaning more money.
For myself the goal for me is to have fun with my tubes. So I won't be changing output transformer anytime soon unless i got it for free.

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #307 of 876

Report on the Philips 6L6G
Music presentation is very clear but too forward for my liking

To get the best output transformer meaning more money.
For myself the goal for me is to have fun with my tubes. So I won't be changing output transformer anytime soon unless i got it for free.

I would not think of transformers because these are quite good already, and are not the simple type.
They have many secondaries which I was not able to follow. The board trace is covered (as the transformer itself) with a super thick layer of glue covering half the insides of the covers...
So its not going anywhere. .
I am not sure what is the purpose of this transformer being so different than te other mini amp, and including many taps to it:

Also,
The 6L6 is an excellent tube,
But in this aml, it was not optimal for me either.
This is due to the amp bias points and plate voltage.

Look at what the postman bring today
And i end up with EL3n adapter

12sn7 driving the EL3N
Its very tight in there :)

I tried the 6k6, nice and seemed good overall,
but not as strong or good as 6v6 which "was" my top choice.

I just aquired the Russian 6Ф6С / 6F6C Cobra..
They are a bit more powerful so are another top choice as they give the most powerful output while also giving clarity.
It doesnt hurt that they are such a great low cost value..

I have a "42" tube coming with adapters. .

:)

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #308 of 876

Also,
The 6L6 is an excellent tube,
But in this aml, it was not optimal for me either.
This is due to the amp bias points and plate voltage.
I tried the 6k6, nice and seemed good overall,
but not as strong or good as 6v6 which "was" my top choice.

I just aquired the Russian 6Ф6С / 6F6C Cobra..
They are a bit more powerful so are another top choice as they give the most powerful output while also giving clarity.
It doesnt hurt that they are such a great low cost value..

I have a "42" tube coming with adapters. .

smily_headphones1.gif

So the bias presets allow the amp to autobias to the tube type?

You mention the NOS National Union 6L6, and the Valvo e180cc pinch waist, are these still your favourites? What about the 6V6G Fivre?

I think any driver tube which is very lively like the Valvo, for example would be a no no for my speaker amp. The reason being the punch and sheer visceral power of the lowly 3.5 amps is shocking, I'm finding now that a sudden bass drum can almost crash me off my chair if I'm not expecting it! Clearly the Kaisei caps you recommend are providing more than enough power......... and also there's my neighbours to consider......

Also I'm not finding any lack of treble resolution without the bypass caps. The balance of the frequency spectrum is shifted from my headphone amp though as there's much more emphasis on bass with this amp.

Although I am happy with my tubes, would I be able to try the same tubes with my EL84 amp as you?

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #309 of 876
So the bias presets allow the amp to autobias to the tube type?

You mention the NOS National Union 6L6, and the Valvo e180cc pinch waist, are these still your favourites? What about the 6V6G Fivre?

I think any driver tube which is very lively like the Valvo, for example would be a no no for my speaker amp. The reason being the punch and sheer visceral power of the lowly 3.5 amps is shocking, I'm finding now that a sudden bass drum can almost crash me off my chair if I'm not expecting it! Clearly the Kaisei caps you recommend are providing more than enough power......... and also there's my neighbours to consider......

Also I'm not finding any lack of treble resolution without the bypass caps. The balance of the frequency spectrum is shifted from my headphone amp though as there's much more emphasis on bass with this amp.

Although I am happy with my tubes, would I be able to try the same tubes with my EL84 amp as you?

If you like dynamic bass, you can try GE 12sn7 short bottle
The bass is awesome

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #310 of 876
Hey... this cute little amp just got even cuter ....
I've shamelessly stolen the front bar idea from Maxx134, It needed some bling, the amp's gotta have that front bar! I think it now rivals his amp, (but he has better looking tubes).

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #311 of 876
If you like dynamic bass, you can try GE 12sn7 short bottle
The bass is awesome

No thanks I've heard about the bass on those! I've got all the bass I can handle. You using the 12SN7's in place of the 12AX7? I had a few TungSol 12SN7's which I used on my other amp which I've sold now thinking I wouldn't need them again! I really liked them and use the 6 volt version on my other amp now.

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #312 of 876
No thanks I've heard about the bass on those! I've got all the bass I can handle. You using the 12SN7's in place of the 12AX7? I had a few TungSol 12SN7's which I used on my other amp which I've sold now thinking I wouldn't need them again! I really liked them and use the 6 volt version on my other amp now.

I'm using tungsol 12sn7 now and hv 1 spare
Its definitely sweeter than GE 12SN7

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #313 of 876
I'm using tungsol 12sn7 now and hv 1 spare
Its definitely sweeter than GE 12SN7

Yes, they are very liquid sounding, I imagine they will have a similar sound to the TS 5751 I'm using now. I may PM you to find out how much you want for it, but really ATM after a house move I don't have a lot of spare cash so it might have to wait. Then, sometime, I just have to find some similar, sized, or coke bottle shaped, power tubes to replace my Amperex EL84's, which I'm reluctant to do because I really like them.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #314 of 876
Yes, they are very liquid sounding, I imagine they will have a similar sound to the TS 5751 I'm using now. I may PM you to find out how much you want for it, but really ATM after a house move I don't have a lot of spare cash so it might have to wait. Then, sometime, I just have to find some similar, sized, or coke bottle shaped, power tubes to replace my Amperex EL84's, which I'm reluctant to do because I really like them.

Try valvo EL84
They sound good!

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #315 of 876
Hello,

i am planing on getting this amp soon. I am not very good at soldering and i saw that some of you guys made some upgrades on the caps.

The tubes will be of course rolled later! 
I currently have a nobsound ns08e amp and i plan to buy this one as a sort of upgrade.

So my question would be now.... is it worth getting this amp as a "upgrade" for my current one for what it costs (175 euro on amazon)? 

thank you! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back