Anedio D2 DAC release
Dec 21, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #1,366 of 1,416

I recently shot an email to Anedio about future plans, so I'll post here if I get any info. I do recall they were planning for an eventual D3 version, which they realized would have to support DSD. But I don't know where it stands. They were really focusing most on their speaker amp, to replace the somewhat short lived A1. If it comes to fruition it will be a beast, fully discrete with some unique design aspects. 

Thanks.  Please do keep us updated.  

Dec 21, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #1,368 of 1,416
I'm setting the D2 to full volume and using -12 pregain on the amp. 12 o'clock is about as high as I can crank the V281's volume when I'm listening to my headphones. What does the click at 80-81 on the D2's volume pot signify?

I believe that's the crossover point between digital volume control and the relay attenuator. See this review of the original D1 where the designer mentions it in depth.

So when you are at 81, you still haven't even applied any digital attenuation at all. And when you go below that you don't throw out bits until the volume drops rather low, thanks to the 32-bit design of the ES9018. So feel free to run it down to 70 or 60 if it allows for more range of motion on the V281 knob. Although honestly it probably won't make much difference either way. 

Dec 22, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #1,369 of 1,416
I believe that's the crossover point between digital volume control and the relay attenuator. See this review of the original D1 where the designer mentions it in depth.

So when you are at 81, you still haven't even applied any digital attenuation at all. And when you go below that you don't throw out bits until the volume drops rather low, thanks to the 32-bit design of the ES9018. So feel free to run it down to 70 or 60 if it allows for more range of motion on the V281 knob. Although honestly it probably won't make much difference either way. 

Thanks for that. Very helpful.

I love this DAC. It's miles ahead of anything I've owned previously. The review you linked there describes the sound accurately - even though he's reviewing the D1.

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #1,370 of 1,416
Got my D2 on Jan 8 th. Couldn't be happier . I'm not much of a headphone guy. Going from PC with USB to D2 direct to amp and then to Selah Audio Prestigio's bypassing pre (emotiva XSP-1 ) using the dsp in sub instead. ( svs sb-13 ) .. Mainly using Tidal but also using cd transport .
This week I'm going to add my pre and see if there is a difference . Right now I couldn't be happier. Didn't hurt that I bought it during Xmas sale . Thanks guys. I had my finger on the trigger for the Audio-gd. NFB -28 . But I much rather buy from my home state.

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #1,371 of 1,416
Got my D2 on Jan 8 th. Couldn't be happier . I'm not much of a headphone guy. Going from PC with USB to D2 direct to amp and then to Selah Audio Prestigio's bypassing pre (emotiva XSP-1 ) using the dsp in sub instead. ( svs sb-13 ) .. Mainly using Tidal but also using cd transport .
This week I'm going to add my pre and see if there is a difference . Right now I couldn't be happier. Didn't hurt that I bought it during Xmas sale . Thanks guys. I had my finger on the trigger for the Audio-gd. NFB -28 . But I much rather buy from my home state.

Congrats! That sale price was one of the best deals going as far as I'm concerned. What a steal. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #1,373 of 1,416
Would the D2 benefit from some kind of USB power supply? I'm not sure whether the USB board takes its power from the computer or the DAC's own PSU.

It takes power from USB so I guess it would be worth a try. I usually feed mine with a music server so it's already clean power, but maybe a regular laptop or desktop computer would see benefits there. 

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #1,374 of 1,416
Guys sincerely ... you should try Anedio D2 > Little dot MK VI+ > HD800, the detail of the decay that produce of piano wires is incredible amazing, also when im listen band like Epica, Rhapsody of Fire or Luca's Turilli Rhapsody feel like, dude where the hell am i ? i feel as im in a huge room ... i stunned with the soundstage, sincerely i must give the thank you and gratitude to Mr. John (Project 86) for recommending this DAC, i will buy the Stratus Stratus soon to try with the D2, but dat will be another tale. Also i think i'll make a review of this 3 gear together as soon as i can.

One think that is important, this is my experience and my opinion, when you plug direct to Dac, isn't bright at moderate volume like until 70 > 80, above of dat i feel it slighty bright with some headphones.

Jun 13, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #1,375 of 1,416
edit: deleted questions I've found answers for.

Okay, posting in a dead or deadish thread, lol.

D2 scheduled to arrive next Tuesday. Unless something else catches my eye, will probably order an IE-800 in two weeks when headphones.com restocks. Grado GR-10 coming in Wed, which will hopefully provide a nice counterpoint to the Senn. Anything else? 

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #1,376 of 1,416
Someone of you interested in a used Anedio D2? Warranty expired but still 7 years of service left. I am selling mine... the journey continues... =) ... you can find it also on ebay.de. (its in germany... but worldwide shipping is no problem i guess. Below are some pictures... but i guess you all know how it looks. no beauty but it has other qualitys you also know already ;D

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #1,377 of 1,416
I actually think it's quite nice looking. Not quite as much as the D1 was, but D2 is probably more "universal" in appeal versus the love-or-hate aesthetic of the original. 

I also hear from quite a few people who have the D2 and aren't really looking for anything new. Thus not really as active on the forums. They settled in for the long haul and won't revisit until they have a compelling reason to do so. 

Lastly, Anedio has just about zero marketing. No new products, no hype, just a solid product - you know where to find it if you want one, but other than that they won't bug you. It's refreshing in a way, yet I'd like to see a bit more from them in terms of new designs etc.

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #1,378 of 1,416
Well... the looks doesnt matter for most of the audiophiles buying the Anedio I guess. Its the inside that matters...  I think the love or hate thing of the D1 comes from the blue lights left and right and everywhere. What I dont like about it is the mate silver finish and the blue LED display and so on. It reminds me of a silver Volkswagen Polo from a teenager with cheap tuning parts and blue LEDs everywhere. Cant explain that better. Perhaps someone understands what I want do say by that. 

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #1,380 of 1,416
They hinted a new power amp maybe here soon. But the D2 is still one of the best out there.

Yes, last we spoke (quite some time ago) James from Anedio was heavily involved in designing what sounded like a very nice amplifier (for speakers). It's been a while and I don't know what sort of progress has been made. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was ready sooner than later, and from what I heard it should be exceptional.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back