Amp/DAC to pair with the Samson sr850 headphones
May 26, 2017 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Undeadadd

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I'm looking for super cheap setup for the Samson sr850 headphones. I realise these headphones are not the best but I hear really good things for there price. I'm very new to this superior audio stuff which is why I went with the Samson's.
I'll be using them on my pc (onboard sound) for gaming and music. I'll also be using them on my phone (HTC 10 which has built in DAC which is rated pretty good)
Anyway to the question, could you guys please recommend some decent setups for as cheap as possible as I don't want to spend to much money if my ears fail to show me how superior the audio should be lol, thanks in advance guys

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 15
You don't have onboard audio on the PC?

May 26, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 15
Not sure what your budget is but I like the Schiit Fulla2 a whole darn lot. It's 99 bucks direct from the mfr. There is also, for a bit less money, the FiiO Q1, which could work for you. Maybe check them out and see what you think. Maybe one would work for you.

May 26, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 15
Well just checked out the specs on them and can only find impedance which is 32 ohms. Can't find the sensitivity as that is more of a gauge of how easy to drive but at 32 ohm I'm sure they are easy enough. That being said if they are getting loud enough and giving no distortion you should be fine with what you have at the moment. At the budget you have it would make more sense to upgrade the headphones rather than get a amp or dac. This is just my opinion. I have a pair of $1500 headphones that sound fantastic out of my iPhone . I'm not adverse to upgrading but sometimes it doesn't make sense money wise as you might be better off saving to get a better pair of headphones than a amp and dac .

May 26, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 15
Hey guys I'm looking for super cheap setup for the Samson sr850 headphones. I realise these headphones are not the best but I hear really good things for there price. I'm very new to this superior audio stuff which is why I went with the Samson's.
I'll be using them on my pc (onboard sound) for gaming and music. I'll also be using them on my phone (HTC 10 which has built in DAC which is rated pretty good)
Anyway to the question, could you guys please recommend some decent setups for as cheap as possible as I don't want to spend to much money if my ears fail to show me how superior the audio should be lol, thanks in advance guys
Without knowning the make and model of your motherboard, not sure how good your on-board audio is.
An Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card might improve audio quality.
Maybe get the FiiO Q1 ($70) USB-DAC/amp, as it can be used with both a computer (DAC/amp) or with a smart phone (as an amp).
But can't see spending more then $70 (Q1), for headphones as low costing as the Samson SR850.
If your big on FPS gaming, then check out the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card (buy used off eBay).

May 27, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #7 of 15
Well just checked out the specs on them and can only find impedance which is 32 ohms. Can't find the sensitivity as that is more of a gauge of how easy to drive but at 32 ohm I'm sure they are easy enough. That being said if they are getting loud enough and giving no distortion you should be fine with what you have at the moment. At the budget you have it would make more sense to upgrade the headphones rather than get a amp or dac. This is just my opinion. I have a pair of $1500 headphones that sound fantastic out of my iPhone . I'm not adverse to upgrading but sometimes it doesn't make sense money wise as you might be better off saving to get a better pair of headphones than a amp and dac .
I got the Samson's as I heard the sound was fantastic for the price and even perform as well as some $200-250 studio headphones but obviously with some draw backs. I also heard a DAC/amp can make them sound amazing if you love bass (I'm not a big bass head but of course this works well In some get genres) but can use an equaliser to tone down the bass a bit if need be.

May 27, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #8 of 15
I got the Samson's as I heard the sound was fantastic for the price and even perform as well as some $200-250 studio headphones but obviously with some draw backs. I also heard a DAC/amp can make them sound amazing if you love bass (I'm not a big bass head but of course this works well In some get genres) but can use an equaliser to tone down the bass a bit if need be.
The Samson SR850 are a great value for their price (I own them), not still not as good as $200-$250 headphones.
Getting a decent DAC/amp will at most add a minor improvement to the SR850.

May 27, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #9 of 15
The Samson SR850 are a great value for their price (I own them), not still not as good as $200-$250 headphones.
Getting a decent DAC/amp will at most add a minor improvement to the SR850.
thanks, i visited my parents today and grabbed my old sound blaster xtremegaming sound card. still wondering if i should get a DAC though lol

May 27, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 15
thanks, i visited my parents today and grabbed my old sound blaster xtremegaming sound card. still wondering if i should get a DAC though lol
The Sound Blaster Xtreme Gaming card is a little old, but maybe still good enough for the SR850.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back