Amarra - anyone using it?
Jun 9, 2009 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 920

Philski

100+ Head-Fier
Heard about this software recently: Amarra which promises "to provide the best music reproduction achievable from a computer based system".

Does anyone have any experience with it? And if so, is it worth the $1,495 price tag?!

Jun 9, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #2 of 920
Hah.. I imagine it plays an mp3 the same way winamp and foobar does... but since mac has 1% of the applications available for it that windows does, they figure they can get by with charging such an obscene amount

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #4 of 920
Became aware of it, at AudioCircle, this weekend.
I registered for the beta and have downloaded version 10.3139. Not installed yet though, as I am not pleased with the pesky installer and files deep into /usr/bin/

$1,500 is quite a lot of money, in case I like it, so might end up staying clear.

Jun 9, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 920
Nevertheless, I'm curious about your impressions so please, post them when you get around to listening to it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 920
There are tons of people out there who regard $1500 as small change and/or are using systems worth tens of thousands of dollars. I'm not one of them, for sure.
frown.gif

Moreover, it does cost an arm and a leg to get that last few % improvement.

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 920
There is a difference between spending thousands on a system, and just a simple mp3 player....

Jun 9, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #10 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have any experience with it?

Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And if so, is it worth the $1,495 price tag?!

If one can afford, it, yes.

That's all I'll say about it, don't want to start a flame war. And, NO, I don't sell it.

Peace,

Lee

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #11 of 920
You can all poke fun at it, but when you hear it at RMAF in October, you will be amazed like those of use that already have it. It has the same effect as a $1500 reclocker. The amazing thing is that the reclocker makes it even better.

It is by far the best digital audio I have heard. I dont sell it either.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #13 of 920
I think most of the posters in this thread sound like fools. You're calling other people fools for buying a product which you yourself haven't even heard? Talk about ignorance.

I myself haven't heard it but I wouldn't assume the quality of a product I haven't heard. Actually, I have done this in the past years ago and I was a fool for doing it then and I'll say you're a fool for doing it now. I'd also assume that your skepticism comes from the fact that you don't have the money to purchase the software anyway. Many of you that have commented negatively on this product have headphone systems that are worth less than this software so I wouldn't think you would be considering a purchase anyway. So why look down on it? I use a Mac at work but not at home where my audio equipment is. If I had a Mac based audio system I would definitely look into it. I hear there is a trial of Amarra available for download somewhere.

I've talked to Lee about this and he says it's an amazing piece of software. I also trust Steve because he makes very high-end digital gear. Both of these guys are leaders in USB to Coax conversion. Lee makes some of the best cables in the business. I trust anything they have to say and you'd be wise to do the same.

Jun 10, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #15 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So why only release it on mac? Why not windows where the user base or bigger? Or does it oversome kind of a inherent weakness in the mac audio chain?

It comes from a company with years in pro-audio. And where the Mac is the largest user base. It's what they know and the audio engines don't have much in common.

Many have heard it at CanJam and I have privately and to confuse this with a MP3 "expander" is to ignore its creator history.

The gut reaction many are tossing out in this thread reminds me why I don't visit HF that much anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back