Albuquerque, NM meet: April 29, 2017!
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #76 of 86
Those Stax and the Utopia seem to land on every head eventually, but I think the unsung hero of this meet-up was the TH-900. Out of all the headphones there, that one saw the most direct A/B'ing, the most pads swaps, and the most amp pairings. And, personally, that's the one headphone I could most realistically see myself buying in the near future.

Agreed; along with being very surprised by the HD800 (in a good way), those TH-900's were most definitely a highlight for me as well!

May 1, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #77 of 86
Agreed; along with being very surprised by the HD800 (in a good way), those TH-900's were most definitely a highlight for me as well!

I agree. Both the HD800 and HD650 were pleasant surprises. I had heard so many negative comments about these being overrated and overhyped, too harsh/veiled, too out-of-date, and impossible to drive. After hearing them, I think those criticisms are way overstated and that both headphones are very deserving of their acclaim. It's been hard not to buy the HD650 immediately. (I keep holding out hope that the Massdrop version will return.)

May 1, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #79 of 86
Yep, the HD600/650 and HD800 (with SDR mod) are definitely fine headphones. And of course, they have the advantage that they can be driven by just about anything. They will do better with a good amp but you don't have to start with one. I would also say the Koss ESP-950 are great headphones for the price, particularly when they go on sale for $500-600 including amp. The amp isn't any great shakes but it will do for starters.

May 4, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #80 of 86
Really sorry and disappointed I was not able to make it but sadly a 16" inch snow drop killed that idea at my house. I was looking forward to hearing some excellent gear especially Tony Landry's new Annapurna 20B amp and Mojo Ben's new DAC which I understand takes native PCM to new heights.

May 4, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #81 of 86
Really sorry and disappointed I was not able to make it but sadly a 16" inch snow drop killed that idea at my house. I was looking forward to hearing some excellent gear especially Tony Landry's new Annapurna 20B amp and Mojo Ben's new DAC which I understand takes native PCM to new heights.

regrettably, neither of them showed up either, so you didn't miss the opportunity.

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #84 of 86
In April, we had mentioned getting together again sometime in September. Obviously, that has passed. Perhaps we could aim for an October meet-up, post- Balloon Fiesta? I've picked up some new equipment in the interim and would be nice to see everyone again.

Since this thread may have no subscribers, I'll add a tag of our fearless leader just in case. @Allanmarcus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back