AKG K812 Pro
Mar 26, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #4,141 of 4,825
Just to let anyone thinking of buying the K812 but understandably deterred by the price, amazon.co.uk has them on today at £483, quite a reduction. The price of these headphones fluctuates wildly from day to day, but this is the lowest price I have seen

When sellers state "Wᴇ Cᴀɴ'ᴛ Sᴇɴᴅ T0 AII Aᴅᴅʀᴇssᴇs. Pʟᴇᴀsᴇ C0ɴᴛᴀᴄᴛ Us Bᴇғᴏʀᴇ Bᴜʏɪɴɢ: ****⸨ᴀᴛ⸩****** ▪ me" and they vastly undercut normal prices, an alarm rings. May be a scammer, or they may sell stolen stuff. I would stay away.

I paid 875 EUR (about 758 GBP) which seems to be on the low side of the prices in Germany. Currently you can find them for 829 EUR (718 GBP). I would doubt significantly lower prices.

Roberto

Mar 26, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #4,142 of 4,825
When sellers state "Wᴇ Cᴀɴ'ᴛ Sᴇɴᴅ T0 AII Aᴅᴅʀᴇssᴇs. Pʟᴇᴀsᴇ C0ɴᴛᴀᴄᴛ Us Bᴇғᴏʀᴇ Bᴜʏɪɴɢ: ****⸨ᴀᴛ⸩****** ▪ me" and they vastly undercut normal prices, an alarm rings. May be a scammer, or they may sell stolen stuff. I would stay away.

I paid 875 EUR (about 758 GBP) which seems to be on the low side of the prices in Germany. Currently you can find them for 829 EUR (718 GBP). I would doubt significantly lower prices.

Roberto

Gutter Rat ist also nicht so teuer! Thanks for warning potential buyers about this possible scam. Like Google with its extremist posters, Amazon really does need to take a closer look at some of its marketplace sellers

Mar 27, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #4,144 of 4,825

There are some interesting pictures of the insides of the K812 from the russian headphone forum. Actually plenty of things to try to improve by modding, especially that strange grid with 3 opened holes and 2 closed. The guy replaced the original acoustic fabric with some with less air-resistence and claims that there are some big improvements. 

Did anyone know more about?

I am going another way, I clamp the 3D mesh from the K872 pads into the K812 pads and they sound a little 'softer' - with lesser harshness (hearing in some but not all music).
For me it's only a test. 
I must get an twice set of K812 ear pads to change them quickly to detect the differences near in real time. 

Take care, clamping the 3D mesh in the K812 pads could be danger and destroy the mesh or the pads!

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #4,145 of 4,825
  I recently purchased K812 and use benchmark dac2 as a temporary amp. Do you have any recommendation of the amp for K812? I listened it on Apache, but Apache is too expensive. 

I started a thread on the same subject just a bit more than a week ago: http://www.head-fi.org/t/840318/which-amp-for-akg-k812

Some replies are quite interesting. I am leaning towards the Meier Corda Classic-FF

Roberto

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #4,146 of 4,825
  No problem... You have your opinion and I respect that. And Tyll already destroyed the market for the K812, so not much can make it any worse  
wink.gif

X xxxxxx xxx xxxx xx xxx xxxx Xxxxxxxxx.

Roberto

Mar 27, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #4,148 of 4,825
  now now roberto, there's no need to cast aspersions

Sorry, and thank you, I erased my remark. It is just that I cannot understand what happened there.

However, the method is not scientific – I have read those reviews and watched the video a few times. There is a certain smugness and a total lack of scientific method (I thought it was a duty at a certain level to use more amplifiers, for instance, to test and compare headphones – making measurements is only a means but it does not make a review objective by itself) that, yep, make me question the ability of a certain reviewer.

Roberto

Mar 27, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #4,149 of 4,825
tyll hertsen's headphone reviews comprise objective measurements and his subjective impressions. it's not science and he doesn't claim to be a scientist. he's a headphone reviewer and this is the approach that he takes with all of his reviews. whether you find his method acceptable or not is entirely up to you.

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #4,152 of 4,825
I think that thing is a darker "AKG K812S" in a way that resembles what Sennheiser has done going from the HD800 to the HD800S. The external grid looks also a bit fatter and curved too, which is definitely odd :)

Roberto

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #4,153 of 4,825

Did anyone know more about?

I am going another way, I clamp the 3D mesh from the K872 pads into the K812 pads and they sound a little 'softer' - with lesser harshness (hearing in some but not all music).
For me it's only a test. 
I must get an twice set of K812 ear pads to change them quickly to detect the differences near in real time. 

Take care, clamping the 3D mesh in the K812 pads could be danger and destroy the mesh or the pads!

I have owned the K812 for over a year and don't think it needs any improvements.  I love the open and detailed AKG sound signature more than Sennheiser, Sony, Audeze, etc that cost a lot more.  The K812 is probably the least-loved flagship among head-fi reviewers (for reasons I do not comprehend), but I trust my own ears not test lab analysis.  
I have also tried several aftermarket upgrade cables (including one from Moon Audio) and found either no difference or worse sound (darker and more veiled), so I am sticking to the stock cable. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #4,155 of 4,825

I have owned the K812 for over a year and don't think it needs any improvements.  I love the open and detailed AKG sound signature more than Sennheiser, Sony, Audeze, etc that cost a lot more.  The K812 is probably the least-loved flagship among head-fi reviewers (for reasons I do not comprehend), but I trust my own ears not test lab analysis.  
I have also tried several aftermarket upgrade cables (including one from Moon Audio) and found either no difference or worse sound (darker and more veiled), so I am sticking to the stock cable. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

I feel they need to slightly smooth out some of the treble and it needs more definition in the bass/sub-bass region. I also wouldn't mind better instrument separation and sound stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back