AKG K812 Pro, underrated?
Jun 26, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #31 of 284
....... Looks like an interesting design.

The baffle and ear pads on the higher end phones are more than just a cushion to support the driver away from the ear, think Grado ...but are becoming greater than the sum of its parts as they are designed as an acoustic chamber and essential for the overall performance characteristics.

Jun 26, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #32 of 284
I've been curious about the 812 and this thread rekindled the interest. I recently ordered an open box/new one for only $734 and should receive it later this week. I am really looking forward to hearing it. Full price at $1,499 is a bit out of my budget at the moment. Getting a 812 for over 50% off seems like too good of a deal to pass up.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #35 of 284
Got the K812. I preface comments by saying I know from reading the 812 thread that there was a sort of HD800/812 war going on or at least some back and forth as to whether the 812 measured up to the HD800. Not interested in participating as I know nothing about the HD800 or 800S. I like and respect Sennheiser based on having the HD650 and HD598. I have no doubt both 800 models would be exceptional headphones.

Preliminary impressions:

-Superb build and design: it is elegant and sturdy, no creaking or squeaks.
-Extremely comfortable: love the cavernous ear cups. So much room, you don't feel anything touching the inside. Clamp force is very light. You can't really move around too much as they tend to slip off easily but I'll take that trade off to save my jaw muscles.
-Spacious and hyper-detailed sound. With such a large soundstage it doesn't seem distant or recessed in the mid-range. It manages to convey an expansive yet intimate and rich sound. Not easy to pull off. Bass is quite strong. Nothing wimpy about it.

My reference recording for headphones is Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, special edition 45 rpm vinyl from MoFi. Probably the best version of the album out there. It sounds incredible with the 812. Never heard it before with such clarity and liveliness.

So as you can tell I am very pleased with the 812 so far. I know there is always a chance it's new toy syndrome and the luster might fade but we shall see. Powering it with a modest Violectric V100 amp at the moment but seems to be a good pairing. One thing that's a little weird is that despite the relatively low impedance and high sensitivity the 812 benefits greatly with more gain on the amp. It really opens up with more juice.

Underrated? Definitely.

Jun 28, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #36 of 284
...One thing that's a little weird is that despite the relatively low impedance and high sensitivity the 812 benefits greatly with more gain on the amp. It really opens up with more juice.

Underrated? Definitely.

That just seems to be a AKG trademark. All of the AKG's I've had are like that for some reason, even when the science says otherwise I've found them to respond well to increases of power or at least power headroom.

Jun 28, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #37 of 284
As I'm really enjoying the ones I have on loan I've been shopping for my own pair with a limited budget and yes the pricing is fairly high...especially here in Canada, around $2000, slightly shy of the 800S.
Missed out a mint pair at $800 Can http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649355428-akg-k812/
....so there are a few bargains to be had, just got to keep an eye open for those who agree on the negative reviews....:beyersmile:

I totally lucked out and found a MINT pair on ebay---the seller had zero feedback and was asking $ 800 US---I sent an offer of $ 500 just being flippant---the guy countered at $ 540 and I bought them. He lives in NYC and I am in CT---.
I paid for the headphones at 3 pm and then I thought, oh man--I probably just got scammed. I came home from work the next day at 11 am and they were on my front porch! Literally less than 24 hours of buying them--delivered in MINT condition with the headphone stand.
I almost sold mine for $ 750 last month but luckily changed my mind and have kept them. I concur with the other opinions on this thread--they are incredible with the right amp and source---easily one of my top 3 sets.
Keep looking---they do pop up on ebay--you just gotta be quick. Good luck!

Jun 28, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #38 of 284
I think there are a couple on eBay now for $800 or so. Totally worth it for that price.

The one I just got appears to be unused and in mint condition too. I am pleasantly surprised at how great they look, feel and sound.

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #39 of 284
Got the K812. I preface comments by saying I know from reading the 812 thread that there was a sort of HD800/812 war going on or at least some back and forth as to whether the 812 measured up to the HD800....................
Underrated? Definitely.

Comparing is always a dangerous venture unless we’re absolutely certain or have experienced the ideal…there will always be differences and we've yet to and probably never will settle on an absolute "reference", just too many variances….I like to take each piece of equipment on its own grounds, try it and if there is something about it that bothers me move on.

The K812s checked off most of my boxes, I didn’t expect it to sound the same as the 800S otherwise what’s the point…each on their own offer IMHO a satisfying reproduction of the recorded sound. If they are close and I need to make a decision to keep one or the other, I look at comfort and wear ability, also need to be practical…for example the 800 cable looks impressive but a real PITA with zero manageability … the AKG cord, although nothing to write home about, is way more practical and functions perfectly.
The K812 with its multiple pivots and screws may pose a problem for longevity etc..etc…then there’s aesthetics, which one wets our whistle….. but in the end it should come down to sound…so we then have to “compare”....:scales:....life's complicated...lol.....

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #40 of 284
What's interesting about the cable is, although it's probably not of the same standard of quality relative to the headphone itself, I also find it very manageable. At least it doesn't tangle or fray like some of the fabric covered ones I've had on other headphones. But then again I don't care about "balanced" mode or spending thousands on cable upgrades, so cables for me just need to be functional and unobtrusive, which this one is for sure. I have to say too that the 812 might be one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. It's slightly on the heavy side but the ear cups feel like slipping into expensive leather loafers. There's so much space in the ear cups - no sense of being boxed in or heat build up.

I also never experienced a headphone that provides this level of detail or transparency, even in comparison to a few of the Stax Lamda series ear-speakers. At home I have the 812 hooked up to a turntable set up and the records I buy often have excellent mastering and recording qualities, so the notion of the 812 not being "forgiving" with poor recordings is not something I have to worry about that much.

Jun 29, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #41 of 284
I think there are a couple on eBay now for $800 or so. Totally worth it for that price.

Problem living in Canada they now tack on besides delivery...import charges from most US sellers....so what looked like a decent buy gets another $250-300 Canadian tacked on and no warranty per se.

Sadly my loaners go back to the owner today..giving a last listen to Kraftwerk's "The Mix"....brilliant on these AKGs!!

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #42 of 284
I basically now have a K812 music collection that I reserve for when I really want to just sink into music and be immersed, because those albums on the k812 are better than anything to me. For everything else I have my Audeze's which mask things a bit more.

Hi ry_goody. Yes! I completely hear (haha) you - I also collect music that's so sublime (mixed/mastered) and has such a rich 3D image that it deserves to be played on a high res listening chain.

Would you mind sharing your complete list of collected music? You can send me a PM if you would like to keep it private. I have crazy good ears (or better: a deep perception of sound?), love "complex" (aurally spoken) music and would love to pick up some new recommendations :)

Thanks a lot!
headache

Aug 30, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #43 of 284
I quite love how the K812s sound but am having issues with physical comfort. They're quite loose and slightly top-heavy so they don't stay put as well as pretty much anything else I've ever owned. Also, it is very hard for me to just let them rest on my head without trying to adjust them all the time. This is to say that I am not a fan of the pads either.

Sound-wise I find the K812 to be reaaaally close to Hifiman HE-560. It's as if they're the same headphone but one was finetuned for slightly more sub-bass and the other for absolute holographic sound. Due to aforementioned comfort issues I'm slightly leaning towards the HE-560 as my favourite cans.

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #44 of 284
Last night I used these headphones with my Hugo 2 for the first time and what a fun evening I had! Definitely one of the most underrated headphones around here. Great all-rounders too! I prefer them to the T1.2 as well.

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #45 of 284
I have had the K-812 for a few years. Had a choice between those, HD800 and LCD-X. Was a pretty clear-cut decision in favour of the K-812 for me.

I think there are justifiable reasons to dislike them. They can be very spiky, and the bass isn't exactly awe-inspiring. But nothing else brings out the cymbals in Miles Davis' So What like those damn AKGs.

I have since bought the Audeze LCD-3. Between them, they'll make most things sound great. I certainly prefer the LCD-3 for metal/electronic/funk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back