AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition Thread
Jun 27, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #662 of 735
Would anyone know if it is possible to source a spare Remy Carriat case from A&K?

Is this the suede black case that comes with the SS? I stopped using mine long ago since I love the feel of the SS chassis, and others may have done the same. You may want to post a wanted classified here on Head-Fi; I recall some owners didn't like their case and purchased aftermarket versions.

Good luck. :ksc75smile:

Jun 27, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #663 of 735
Jun 27, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #664 of 735
Great deal ... easy to see why you sold it so quickly. What are you going to use as a transport with your newly acquired Hugo 2?

It is on its way to a new home. I'll be using my iPhone/iPad (on the go), iMac (desktop) and laptop (work and poolside). :)

I will mostly use it by the pool and stream Tidal HiFi/Masters or at work (same thing + high rez music). Expecting the Hugo 2 to land on Friday...fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #665 of 735
It is on its way to a new home. I'll be using my iPhone/iPad (on the go), iMac (desktop) and laptop (work and poolside). :)

I will mostly use it by the pool and stream Tidal HiFi/Masters or at work (same thing + high rez music). Expecting the Hugo 2 to land on Friday...fingers crossed.

Sounds good. Congrats on your Hugo 2 purchase. I owned a Hugo and liked it a lot. My current Mojo is also excellent for my needs. What I'm waiting for is the Mojo 2 which may be released sometime next year (following the same pattern of the Mojo being released a year or so after the Hugo). But the 2Qute and the TT need upgrading first, so I may be waiting a couple years.

Jun 27, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #666 of 735
Sounds good. Congrats on your Hugo 2 purchase. I owned a Hugo and liked it a lot. My current Mojo is also excellent for my needs. What I'm waiting for is the Mojo 2 which may be released sometime next year (following the same pattern of the Mojo being released a year or so after the Hugo). But the 2Qute and the TT need upgrading first, so I may be waiting a couple years.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it. :)

Jun 28, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #667 of 735
Is this the suede black case that comes with the SS? I stopped using mine long ago since I love the feel of the SS chassis, and others may have done the same. You may want to post a wanted classified here on Head-Fi; I recall some owners didn't like their case and purchased aftermarket versions.

Good luck. :ksc75smile:

Yep the standard suede case - mine is getting a little tired from daily use. I've decided to just buy a standard replacement AK240 case :)

Jun 28, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #668 of 735
Would anyone think I am crazy if I say that my original AK240 (plain vanilla version) has an extra tad of finese that not even my AK380Cu can give, when it comes to female vocal? My SP1000Cu will arrive soon and I am not sure if it can beat the AK240 in that department - my only listening impression was with the SP1000SS but my initial thought is that it produces big sound and good separation but still lacks that bit of intimacy that AK240 is able to give.

Jun 28, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #669 of 735
Would anyone think I am crazy if I say that my original AK240 (plain vanilla version) has an extra tad of finese that not even my AK380Cu can give, when it comes to female vocal? My SP1000Cu will arrive soon and I am not sure if it can beat the AK240 in that department - my only listening impression was with the SP1000SS but my initial thought is that it produces big sound and good separation but still lacks that bit of intimacy that AK240 is able to give.

Can't comment on the AK240 vs 380Cu other than I still love my plain vanilla 240 though it doesn't get much use nowadays. About the SP1000Cu has AK done something about the oxidation issue of the AK380? Will the new SP1000 retain the copper finish or will it also tarnish and eventually turn green/blue?

Jun 28, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #670 of 735
Can't comment on the AK240 vs 380Cu other than I still love my plain vanilla 240 though it doesn't get much use nowadays. About the SP1000Cu has AK done something about the oxidation issue of the AK380? Will the new SP1000 retain the copper finish or will it also tarnish and eventually turn green/blue?
Turn green and blue.That sounds terrible. In that case,sp 1000ss seems a better option.

Jun 28, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #671 of 735

I read early on after the SP1000 introduction that some kind of treatment was employed on the Cu model not present on the 380Cu.

Jun 29, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #672 of 735
I read early on after the SP1000 introduction that some kind of treatment was employed on the Cu model not present on the 380Cu.

That's good to know. About the tarnishing on the 380Cu I don't think that it affects the sound of the model or anything along those lines, my understanding is that it's more of a cosmetic issue that develops over time, so didn't mean to make it out as some kind of a real problem. Nonetheless I'd prefer the copper finish to remain as is if I was an owner of a Cu model but it seems A&K has done something about it for the SP1000 which is good news :)

Jun 29, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #673 of 735
As my AK380Cu corrodes on the outside the sound just gets better and better. Seems that the sound of the Cu is inversely proportion to its looks. The more tarnished it becomes, the more warmth and oomph you get from the player. Amazing. Simply amazing. Remember not to use any cover on it despite the tarnish. Any cover would confine the sound. I am not sure whether the SP1000Cu will corrode until I get my hands on it next month.

Jun 29, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #674 of 735
As my AK380Cu corrodes on the outside the sound just gets better and better. Seems that the sound of the Cu is inversely proportion to its looks. The more tarnished it becomes, the more warmth and oomph you get from the player. Amazing. Simply amazing. Remember not to use any cover on it despite the tarnish. Any cover would confine the sound. I am not sure whether the SP1000Cu will corrode until I get my hands on it next month.
You just won the internet :grinning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back