AirPods
May 29, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #271 of 709
I suppose sound quality is relative. In my AirPods, I hear sucked out mids, anemic bass, and overly energetic treble. EQ solved few of these problems. I use them for listening to podcasts and TV shows, but for serious listening they are not a serious contender. They are a casual product for casual listeners and casual sound. Because my analysis of the acoustic reproduction of sound in podcasts is so very casual, they do perfectly when I use them around the house, while cooking, out and about, and (in one ear only, per CA law) while bicycling. In this capacity, their convenience can't be beat.

As regards sound, keep looking. If convenience recommends these above even the Bose QC series, you are not an audiophile. Even my knockoff K3003i (which got 90-95% of the way there when I a/b'd with the real thing at the harman kardon store in NYC) sound miles better. The QC35 and new sony 1000x thing are both competitive, but it's a lot easier to pack bluetooth and battery into a circumaural can than truly wireless IEMs. Props to Apple for giving us our first truly competitive wireless IEM. It fits a lot of use cases. For most music, though, they disappoint anyone with a serious interest in sound. A used HD600 or Q701 would be a far worthier investment, even with zero amplification.

Well, then I guess I must not be an audiophile. Because with these, I can stop critically listening and just enjoy the music. Of course, I do not use them for serious listening. My use case is for background music while reading eBooks on a Kindle, and for that they are great. I don't hear sucked out mids, but rather a very open and organic sound. They sound even more open than the HD600/HD650. I guess that is the nature of their loose fit (for some people).

My main problem with the AirPods is the zero isolation. I don't see how people can use them on the go. In public, traffic noise will all but drown them out, unless you jack the volume way up into dangerous territory. They are a disaster on the bus or other mass transit. I can only see using them indoors in quiet environments. YMMV.

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #272 of 709
Just want to say I really enjoy the convenience of this portable set while running. Also for casual listening to news, podcasts etc while commuting or traveling the AirPods are effective and highly usable.

34576303406_90ec2652aa_b.jpg

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #274 of 709
So I lost my airpods on a plane. Turns out that the case is super slippery and fell out of my pants on the plane. By the time I realized what happened, it was too late. I'll be getting a replacement set eventually since I love these things but I'm going to put the case inside the smallest grippy case I can find in Amazon. Sigh.

Aug 2, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #279 of 709
So, audio wise, are the headphones any good? I'm not expecting them to sound like my old IE8 but hopefully they don't sound worse than other $100 IEM

They offer really high quality audio. Open and full range sound, without overemphasizing any part of the spectrum. Quite clear mids and highs. But they do not block outside noises at all. You should keep that in mind, even though the good part of it is that you can speak on phone and hear your voice clearly at the same time. Very practical, light and airy. You will forget having them on your ears...Yes, they are very good!!

Aug 3, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #280 of 709
Audio is really pretty good. Responds well to Apple's equalizer. Nice open sound.
If audiophiles are going to argue endlessly to which $1000. earphones are best they won't spend much time praising the Airpods. But for those of us who like to live their lives with accompaniment the AirPods are great.

Aug 3, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #281 of 709
I agree. Convenience and sound that is not bad makes the AirPods a truly outstanding product for me. I do not use them for fine listening to high resolution recordings but nonetheless I enjoy music on the go with these.

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #283 of 709
These are the iPhone camera of headphones. Comparing these to the current breed of IEMs is like comparing the iPhone camera with a DSLR. Different products that fill different purposes.

They won't compete purely on sound quality, although the quality is quite nice. They win in pocketable portability and convenience. If you own them, you wind up using them a LOT. And they do sound good. Sometimes very good.

"The best camera is the one in your pocket."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back