AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 26, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #2,522 of 5,483
DSC02591.jpg IMG_0490.jpg IMG_0491.jpg IMG_0492.jpg

Finally got my Aeon from my local distributor on Monday. :)

And have been enjoying the heck out of it! This quickly grown to be my favorite headphone ever, honestly, it's hard to find any fault in this headphone. While it doesn't do anything very special, it also didn't do anything bad, in fact, it does everything well. From vocal to instrument, from bass to treble, it is just a very balanced headphone. :D

Loving it!

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #2,523 of 5,483

Finally got my Aeon from my local distributor on Monday. :)

And have been enjoying the heck out of it! This quickly grown to be my favorite headphone ever, honestly, it's hard to find any fault in this headphone. While it doesn't do anything very special, it also didn't do anything bad, in fact, it does everything well. From vocal to instrument, from bass to treble, it is just a very balanced headphone. :D

Loving it!
I would think that in saying what you did about it... It is doing everything "very special". It is not often that one can find a headphone that does all of what you describe very well...

I tend to agree, but maybe would say something more along the lines of.. it does not emphasize any part of the music to the point that it stands out above the rest... And that IS very special!

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #2,524 of 5,483
I would think that in saying what you did about it... It is doing everything "very special". It is not often that one can find a headphone that does all of what you describe very well...

I tend to agree, but maybe would say something more along the lines of.. it does not emphasize any part of the music to the point that it stands out above the rest... And that IS very special!
At first I thought these were very bass light, if you look at my sig you can see I do like my emphasized bass, and I was hoping it would open up and hit harder over time. What I've discovered is instead of the bass hitting harder, it manages to keep the same emphasis from the very bottom to the top giving my ears a very different sensation, like a massage instead of punch.

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #2,525 of 5,483
At first I thought these were very bass light, if you look at my sig you can see I do like my emphasized bass, and I was hoping it would open up and hit harder over time. What I've discovered is instead of the bass hitting harder, it manages to keep the same emphasis from the very bottom to the top giving my ears a very different sensation, like a massage instead of punch.
You pay to get a massage. People will give you a punch for free :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #2,526 of 5,483

True, that's what make it special, by not being special in any specific way. Haha...

I like the way you described it. :D

Jul 27, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #2,527 of 5,483
Finally managed to give the aeon a listen. It is indeed power hungry. My LPG and DX200 just had enough at high gain.

The demo unit I tried had the filters on by default.

My first impression is the bass is the best I heard in terms of impact and details, not too exagerated but solid and powerful when it needs to be. I find it far better than the original ether c I sold long ago. The clarity and detail retrieval in the mids and treble is very good and together with the bass the aeons renders a fuller sounding music with nice space, depth and width.

Comparing it to my MSR7 it does a better job in bass and the overall fuller sound and stage. But I thought the MSR7 still has an edge with clarity and focus. Not necessarily an advantage but a matter of preference.

However, when I listen with the filters off I was surprised to find a huge difference (my priverbial night and perhaps). With the filters off the bass is almost gone and the quality seem to take a big hit. The overall sound appears to be tinny and fuzzy especially in the high mids and treble. I thought it sounded like a cheap headphone. I know pads make a big impact in the headphone but never expected this difference in the aeon. glad I listen to the aeon with filter avaible. If not my interest would immediately banish.

I like to give the aeons another try before I decide if I will get one or not. Perhaps hugo and pico power as the source next tine.

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #2,528 of 5,483
It would be neat to have an artist chime in and give us their impressions. I find the Aeon may produce exactly what they heard in studio. I was listening to acoustic bass last night and the Aeon reached way down and didn't overemphasize any portion of the music.

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #2,529 of 5,483
Hey, I'm admittedly awful at the technical side of this stuff (impedance and such), so I need help finding an AMP for this HP. Trying to spend under $500-400, with a neutral or slightly warm tilt. Would the JDS Labs El Amp/El DAC work well with this headphone?

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #2,530 of 5,483
Hey, I'm admittedly awful at the technical side of this stuff (impedance and such), so I need help finding an AMP for this HP. Trying to spend under $500-400, with a neutral or slightly warm tilt. Would the JDS Labs El Amp/El DAC work well with this headphone?

I'm using the ifi iDSD Micro Black Label and find it absolutely great! The xbass feature is well implemented, it can drive any headphone made as well as iem, it's transportable/portable with a long battery life... basically it is the last all in one you will ever need. A Mojo would probably also go really well with the Aeon but I have not personally heard the combo.

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #2,531 of 5,483
I'd go for the lh labs geek out 2 pro infinity. My Aeon sounds great with it. I think it sounds slightly warmer than my jotunheim.

Jul 28, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #2,532 of 5,483

Another option worth looking at on the amp side of things is the Garage1217 Project Polaris. It punches well above its weight class value-wise, has some warmth without being a tube amp, and is versatile enough to suit damn near anything you throw at it.

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #2,533 of 5,483
Another option worth looking at on the amp side of things is the Garage1217 Project Polaris. It punches well above its weight class value-wise, has some warmth without being a tube amp, and is versatile enough to suit damn near anything you throw at it.
I've actually been looking up the Ember II a lot recently. Any note on how it compares to the Polaris? I've been reading that even though it's a tube amp, it can power pretty much anything.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #2,535 of 5,483
IMG_7458.JPG We just got our Aeons in recently, and I just had time to inbox one for demo. Must say (as usual with Mr Speakers stuff) excellent build quality Dan... fired them up for a quick listen.

"In Bloom" by Sturgill Simpson on Tidal Masters through Questyle 600i. Getting really great detail, and nice sparkle on treble. Not to mention great fit ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back