AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 29, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #1,637 of 5,483
Comparative impressions, Æon vs Ether C Flow, same chain (balanced DUM cable, rest sig below): Æon brings out lows and highs in small ensemble music, especially jazz in a very nice way, but it gets a bit muddled in big orchestral and choral passages, where the C Flow is more refined. For listening to classical music, I prefer the C Flow by quite a margin, but for jazz, the Æon holds its own and maybe some. Caveat: if break-in is a thing, I've had the C Flow since last summer, the Æon for less than two weeks.

May 29, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #1,639 of 5,483
I am curious too. I didn't expect much over the weekend or today. Today is a national Holiday in the US. Hopefully they will be able to get more of them shipped tomorrow and the rest of the week.
If all went well, they should have gotten the parts that they needed last week.

To answer your question directly, no. At least I have not seen anything new anywhere that I have looked... and I have been looking everywhere that I can think of.

May 29, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #1,643 of 5,483
I think a good tube amp would do good for the Aeons. The tube amp would add some bloom in the upper-bass and lower midrange that the Aeons need. Valhalla is rather thin sounding, I wouldn't think it would be a good match.

May 29, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #1,644 of 5,483
I swear I'm not meant to ever get these headphones.
First my order gets "lost" and I only realize Friday that I was given the wrong tracking number and my headphones are nowhere to be found, So I get that straighten out and my cans go out on Saturday with FedEx International Priority and should of arrived today but of course nothing.

Order #11008 here
Ordered back on Feb 2nd and at this rate I'll be the last to get my headphones :triportsad:

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #1,648 of 5,483
Can anyone address how the sound leakage is? I returned my Sony Z1R for various reasons and am liking what I'm hearing about these. Mot a deal breaker but I'm wondering if the Aeon leaks any less (out) than the Z1R.
I think they do not leak out any music. I have worn my Aeon to the grocery and to a local mall, and nobody complained about sound.

May 30, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #1,649 of 5,483
Comparative impressions, Æon vs Ether C Flow, same chain (balanced DUM cable, rest sig below): Æon brings out lows and highs in small ensemble music, especially jazz in a very nice way, but it gets a bit muddled in big orchestral and choral passages, where the C Flow is more refined. For listening to classical music, I prefer the C Flow by quite a margin, but for jazz, the Æon holds its own and maybe some. Caveat: if break-in is a thing, I've had the C Flow since last summer, the Æon for less than two weeks.
Noticed you have both cables for the Aeon. Am considering going balanced (to a Rag) and would appreciate your comments comparing Aeon SE to DUM balanced.

Am into the 7th day of continuous burn in. Had nice step up on 5th day's listen over starting point and think today's as better yet. A word on setup. Aeons are driven by Fiio 3 (original) DAP and initially sounded as I had expected, unpowered and not worth a listen (with the strength of the Rag, the Aeons out of the box were quite nice). On the 5th day this changed, the result of a quick listen to confirm DAP was still looping, produced a surprise, one could listen for more than a few seconds. On the 7th day, it was actually enjoyable. So am looking forward to extending this process to a 10th day. Just a word on burn in, I think burn in is more noticeable when one uses a weak amp which has difficulty driving the stiff new transducer, producing poor listening. With flexing some of that stiffness is lost and the amp is able to perform more easily and thus produces noticeable improvement. (One must listen closely to hear the improvement on the Rag.)

May 30, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #1,650 of 5,483
If anybody is looking to pair the Aeon with a DAP, I can confirm that the Cayin N6 drives the Aeons with authority. Great pairing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back