AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 27, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #1,591 of 5,483
I think maybe you guys should take this discussion over to the Sound Science forum. This thread is about the AEON and, while I can only speak for myself, I'd prefer not to have to read through this tired argument for the nth time.

On topic: I'm looking forward to hearing more impressions now that more of these are hitting the streets. I think it's telling that grumpy @Beagle has changed his tune after hearing them. :-D

+1

May 27, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #1,592 of 5,483
Looking forward to getting my Aeons and reading impressions, but I don't get why these topics are off limits. There have been like a dozen posts discussing burn in out of 1500+. I get that not everyone here wants to talk about burn-in, but some of us clearly do. And it is relevant, since it started in regards to Mr Speaker's recommendation for burn-in.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #1,594 of 5,483
Has anyone tried the AEON for gaming? I plan on using them for both music and gaming, but hearing they might be a tad bit lacking in the detail department makes me wonder if I should stick to my current setup.
They aren't lacking in detail at all. They may not have quite as much resolution as very TOTL cans, but they have plenty.

I'll try them for gaming tonight. What's your current setup?

May 27, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #1,595 of 5,483
They aren't lacking in detail at all. They may not have quite as much resolution as very TOTL cans, but they have plenty.

I'll try them for gaming tonight. What's your current setup?

Good to know!

I have a PC that I use with both a schiit stack (modi 2 U to Asgard 2) and a ifi micro idsd BL depending on my mood. I also use the BL with my ps4 pro via optical. For gaming I use either a T90 if I want heaps of detail or my HE-400S if I want a better all-around presentation. I'm pretty sure the AEON will best both of those cans, but a lot of the early impressions have mentioned something like "they aren't the last word in detail." Not sure if people are just searching for something to criticize or if the cans aren't actually all that detailed. Either way, super excited to get my AEON on Thursday!

May 27, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #1,596 of 5,483
E203535C-1808-4288-B3E6-AF7FA6E92329.jpg IMG_0091.JPG C25659A8-7DCE-46CC-AE2E-9614EE0A918E.jpg E203535C-1808-4288-B3E6-AF7FA6E92329.jpg My Aeon finally arrived and these cans sound great. I have a hard time believing they are closed backed. I am driving the Aeon using Tidal to Yggdrasil and Liquid Gold. I am jamming out to Frank Zappa's Joes Garage and some Dave Brubeck.

May 27, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #1,597 of 5,483
Good to know!

I have a PC that I use with both a schiit stack (modi 2 U to Asgard 2) and a ifi micro idsd BL depending on my mood. I also use the BL with my ps4 pro via optical. For gaming I use either a T90 if I want heaps of detail or my HE-400S if I want a better all-around presentation. I'm pretty sure the AEON will best both of those cans, but a lot of the early impressions have mentioned something like "they aren't the last word in detail." Not sure if people are just searching for something to criticize or if the cans aren't actually all that detailed. Either way, super excited to get my AEON on Thursday!

"Not the last word in detail" means like 8 or 9 out of 10 (10 being the last word in detail). It will certainly out-resolve that Schiit stack. I haven't heard the BL but it apparently holds its own against the Mojo so I suspect it'll be a good match with the AEON. AEON will crush the HE-400S in detail. I'm not sure about the T90 as I haven't spent much time with it.

The one thing about the AEON for gaming is it's closed-back with decent isolation. This means the SS isn't as good as you'd get with an open can like the 400S. And it also means you can't hear yourself on comms so you may be talking louder than you think and draw some wife/roommate aggro. Other than that, it's a solid gaming can IMO. Not Ether C 1.1 good, but solid.

May 27, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #1,598 of 5,483
I don't like the Aeon for gaming because it's closed. When talking to friends for comms, it gives that characteristic closed-back boomines when you're talking. It's not as natural as with an open headphone.

For gaming without talking, it's very good. It has a healthy amount of presence region, so everything is well balanced and crisp. Ambiance is great with deep rumble and, and treble remains crisp, so water splashing or guns firing are well focused.

It's still closed and heats up over time. For gaming, I would definitely prefer an open headphone so I never have to think about having a headphone one me for endurance sessions.

tldr; amazing gaming for closed headphone, but would prefer open variant.

May 27, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #1,599 of 5,483
First impressions. Chain: microRendu+LPS-1>SU-1>Holo Spring KTE 3 in NOS mode>Schiit Jotunheim>Aeon, listening to Rite of Spring (Simon Rattle/Berlin Philarmonic, PCM 44.1/24). Great: bass, especially how the tympani roll ominously from the back of the orchestra. Good: treble, for example flute solos and violins. Questionable: high volume mids (massed orchestra) somewhat muddled. From memory, my C Flows are cleaner on high-volume mids, but their bass presence is maybe less impressive.

May 27, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #1,600 of 5,483
I've been listening to the Aeons all morning using my Ibasso DX-200 amped with my Alo audio continental V5. What a sweet combination this is.....my new go to travel rig!

I heard a few talking about the Aeons not being reference quality (whatever that means!) If you are embarking on a laboratory experiment that may be true, but for listening to music (which is what I buy headphones for) .....the Aeons are possibly one of the best I've heard. From my listening so far, they are great with every genre. When you consider these are closed back, they really are exceptional. Factor in the price and I think Dan has a winner here.

Much as I liked my Alpha Primes when I first got them.....I don't see myself using them again. As for my Ether flows and HD800's....I tend to use them with my dna Stratus rig at home and will probably continue to do so.....however the Aeons run the Ether Flows pretty close in the detail /soundstage stakes, and are actually slightly better in some areas .....comfort, isolation (naturally) and possibly (?) bass too.

Really liking the cable too...I was expecting a downgrade in quality, but it's a really nice cable and perfect for a travelling rig.

For those of you still waiting for your Aeons, you are in for a treat!

May 27, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #1,601 of 5,483
Thanks for That mini review. Combined with the other recent impressions just raise my anticipation level. I am seriously hoping to have mine by the end of next week. It is a shame, because I am taking next week off from work. It would be a great time to spend some quality time with the Aeons. Oh well...

Thanks again for the impressions... keep them coming!!

May 27, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #1,602 of 5,483
Second impressions. Jazz (Chick Corea Trio's "Trilogy," John Abercrombie Quartet's "Within a Song"): bass has great body, highs from cymbals clean with the right decay. Not so convinced about mids, sax sounds a bit recessed relative to the other instruments. Definitely keepers, but I don't think they'll displace the C Flows for listening at home. The C Flows are less comfortable, but the overall soundscape feels to me more whole and balanced between lows, mids, and highs.

May 27, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #1,603 of 5,483
Good to know!

It's not a criticism it's more of an observation. Sarnia said it spot on. "They may not have quite as much resolution a TOTL can but they have plenty". My go to can is the Utopia and thats the benchmark I was comparing them against. If you read my post in full I'm actually praising the Aeons for being very, very close. I'm extremely happy with them and I would be very surprised to hear if anyone was disappointed with them as they so inoffensive and do nothing wrong. They are a very enjoyable headphone :)

May 27, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #1,605 of 5,483
My 2nd day of listening to the Aeons. Guess what I'm still very happy. Ive been running them straight out of my Dave and also my QP1R. Sounding terrific across all genres of music guys!
Yes I love how the Aeon sounds through my QP1R. I now have two awesome closed back cans for on the go use. Although I will never takes these closed back beauties out in the hot Florida sun. Bu t they are perfect ect for cruising the mall/ grocery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back