AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 26, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #1,576 of 5,483
I know that I just talked about OT posting, but I had to share this from 1989. Maybe it will entertain someone. I mentioned the DM90.
The Azden DR-DM90 Digital
Monitor delivers the bass
response of an "enclosed"
type headset
without the
weight and produces
"sizzling highs and a full
warm midrange."

Speaker Unit: Dynamic
type * Impedance: 32 ohms
* Sensitivity: 105dB/mW *
Maximum Input: 800 mV *
Frequency Response:
4~26,000Hz * Cord length:
3m * Plug: 3.5 mini (Gold-
plated) * Weight: (without

cord): 140g.

140 grams... I pulled them out for a listen. I still like the little headphones...

May 26, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #1,577 of 5,483
Order #11191 is on the way.

And, burn-in is real.

Although very true that superstition and irrational denial affect a large percentage of the 7.5 billion earth inhabitants. But, hey, it's only 2017 CE.

May 26, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #1,580 of 5,483
Burn in might be real in the mechanical sense but to say "meh" to a headphone sound based on the first hour and then say "wow this is awesome" after the 100th hour....that's a bridge I can't walk.
Very true. But, such things are so often said here that it perpetuates the myth. I has people running headphones for 150 hours without listening to them just so they will sound good... sometimes without listening in the interim.
Ah well, whatever works for any given person.

May 26, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #1,581 of 5,483
Why is it called burn-in? It should be called burn-out, as in - this topic always burns out a thread.

May 26, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #1,582 of 5,483
Why is it called burn-in? It should be called burn-out, as in - this topic always burns out a thread.
Quite true... but I think we are all just biding time until more people have something pertinent to say about the Aeon. At least I am.
Can't dance, and it is to wet to plow...

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #1,583 of 5,483
Received my pair today guys. My first impressions are;

The box and case is smaller in size than I was expecting which is great. Definitely small enough to pack in a case and take on a trip. Bonus!
The headphones themselves are much better in the flesh than from the pictures Ive seen which is another bonus.
The fit & finish is top notch.
I would have liked some notches/indicators on the headband to make adjusting the headband a bit more certain for positioning. (Minor point)
Really light and comfortable although I do think the pads will quickly heat up based on my first listening session. I would like to upgrade to lambskin leather or velour in the future. Saying that it is about 25 degrees outside today.
I like the cable. I think it's a good length and nicely finished. I don't think I will be upgrading this anytime soon.

Now for the main event......the sound

Ive only had a couple of hours listening so this really is 1st impressions.
The first thing I'm noticing is a nice overall balance across the range. The bass is accurate to the song you are listening to. It's not light, nor is it over emphasised.Both male and female vocals sound really nice with good overall clarity. Treble again is just about right for my tastes. Im not hearing any brightness or sibilance although there is a nice bit of sparkle and air up top.I wouldn't say these are the last word in resolution or detail. I wouldn't describe them as "reference" quality, however IMHO they are very, very close and depending on your needs, or indeed your listening preferences on most occasions they might well be all the headphone you will ever need.
I would describe the sound signature as relaxing and I could imagine listening to these for hours on end without any fatigue setting in.

I bought these headphone with the hope they would replace my PM-3's as my portable/transportable can.

Am I happy? Hell yes!

May 26, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #1,584 of 5,483
Got my Aeons today! :smile_phones:

Very much initial impressions, but more than happy with the build. They look much better than the photos ....really high quality. I don't feel these are a compromise in any way. Super comfortable, as others have already said. Case is a really nice bonus.....I'll be travelling with mine a lot so it's good that they will be protected...and the case is nice and compact. I won't say too much about the sound for now as I literally have had 10 minutes with them.....BUT.....they sound amazing to me. They don't sound like closed cans to me at all.....The sound stage and airiness is very nice.....bass is spot on. I'll leave it there for now, but these are keepers for sure.

Stuart

May 26, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #1,585 of 5,483
Got my Aeons today! :smile_phones:

Very much initial impressions, but more than happy with the build. They look much better than the photos ....really high quality. I don't feel these are a compromise in any way. Super comfortable, as others have already said. Case is a really nice bonus.....I'll be travelling with mine a lot so it's good that they will be protected...and the case is nice and compact. I won't say too much about the sound for now as I literally have had 10 minutes with them.....BUT.....they sound amazing to me. They don't sound like closed cans to me at all.....The sound stage and airiness is very nice.....bass is spot on. I'll leave it there for now, but these are keepers for sure.

Stuart
WOW... wishful thinking leads to positive results.

Thanks stuart1927 and Imusicman. Good to hear. I am jealous.

May 26, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #1,586 of 5,483
Yeah the photo of them on Dan's site isn't doing the Aeon justice at all-- it's quite ugly in fact. I think he should retake the picture with different lighting and without that stand and/or black background.

May 26, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #1,587 of 5,483
We have lots of new photos coming, and a new website. I'm hoping to go live this weekend, but in the meantime, here's a little candy... (pardon the white image, the photographer did a goofy hang on the band and kind of wrecked the shot, so better will have to follow...)

Flow-&-receiver.jpg Flow-&-Silver-Rec.jpg MrSpeakers 320.jpg

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 26, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #1,588 of 5,483
This is an excellent post. What will change the most is the listener's perceptual system. Our auditory systems adapt slightly to ambient conditions. So, if there is an overabundance of high-frequency signal, neurons coding high frequencies will become slightly less responsive over time. If there is a lack of low-frequency signal, neurons coding low frequencies will become slightly more responsive over time. After several hours of listening, those highs will tame a little, and the bass will seem a bit more present. My guess is that Dan recommends 100 hours of burn in because that will mean at least 10-20 hours of actual listening. He doesn't want people returning headphones before their brains have adapted.
Except that some of us keep switching between systems, so habituation is not such a plausible explanation. Unless you postulate some magic switch that as soon as I start listening to a different system, my brain adapts instantly. Mechanism? Why should I believe your neuroscience theories better than well-known plastic deformation of composites under repeated bending?

May 26, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #1,589 of 5,483
I think maybe you guys should take this discussion over to the Sound Science forum. This thread is about the AEON and, while I can only speak for myself, I'd prefer not to have to read through this tired argument for the nth time.

On topic: I'm looking forward to hearing more impressions now that more of these are hitting the streets. I think it's telling that grumpy @Beagle has changed his tune after hearing them. :-D

May 26, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #1,590 of 5,483
I think maybe you guys should take this discussion over to the Sound Science forum. This thread is about the AEON and, while I can only speak for myself, I'd prefer not to have to read through this tired argument for the nth time.

I honestly couldn't agree more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back