Advice on choosing new headphones!
Dec 11, 2012 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

mztlynne

New Head-Fier
Ok, so Ive been doing a ton of research the past few days on headphones. I'm entirely new to this, and discovered this site while looking for comparisons and such. I started out looking at Beats but soon realized they werent as good as hyped upto be. Im just so unsure as to whats the best. I currently own a pair od Skullcandy Uprocks. As you can imagine, they suck. I'm looking for something true to sound, that still has pretty good bass. I listen to mostly rock, indie, alternative, the rare pop song. I also live in a house with 4 others who can get quite loud on occassion. Is it worth it to get something noise cancelling or is that, as i've read, just hype? I've heard great things about the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and am leaning towards these, but amstillunsure these are the best. Myprice range is from $100-200. Any help would be appreciated.

P.s.Sorry for any typos/grammatical errors. Im typing on a tablet screen.

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 19
Or you can go for the Ultrasone PRO750, if you can buy used...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrasone-PRO-750-Stereo-Headphones-/281036071625?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item416f0e22c9

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:
Awesome! Thanks for your help. I willdefinitely look into these. Do you (or anyone else reading this) have any opinions of the M50s? Just so i can compare.

M50 is not in the same ballpark as the Ultrasones and the Shures. I find M50 to sound extremely bland and boring... No liveliness and excitement, and lack detail throughout the spectrum. 

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 19
Used beyerdynamic dt770 premium. You will not be dissapointed. It has a nice bassy sound, and has a 1up on every closed headphone mentioned here. Don't get he t70 though. It is thin and analytical.

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
Used beyerdynamic dt770 premium. You will not be dissapointed. It has a nice bassy sound, and has a 1up on every closed headphone mentioned here. Don't get he t70 though. It is thin and analytical.

DT770 is a great headphone, especially the PRO 80, but IMO the PRO 750 has more detail and resolution, but doesn't have the oomph the DT770 has in the lows. The 750 has more of a thump, while the DT770 has more of a rumble.

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 19
From what I've heard in another sites DJ forums, the Sony MDR-V600 offer a very high quality bass while having a modest and complimenting middle and upper levels. I can't offer any personal experience with them, but they are priced around $70 and as I said, I have read nothing but good things about them. There is one drawback, they do use a 10ft cable, and from experience with my HD600, that can be a hassle when it comes to mobility. 

Another option, one that I am looking into, are the V-Moda brand. A fellow at my school owns a pair, along with Beats, and according to him (and other sources) the V-Moda trumps them. I can't say for sure on the price, but from what I've seen you're looking at somewhere around $150-200.

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
From what I've heard in another sites DJ forums, the Sony MDR-V600 offer a very high quality bass while having a modest and complimenting middle and upper levels. I can't offer any personal experience with them, but they are priced around $70 and as I said, I have read nothing but good things about them. There is one drawback, they do use a 10ft cable, and from experience with my HD600, that can be a hassle when it comes to mobility. 

Another option, one that I am looking into, are the V-Moda brand. A fellow at my school owns a pair, along with Beats, and according to him (and other sources) the V-Moda trumps them. I can't say for sure on the price, but from what I've seen you're looking at somewhere around $150-200.

No, no!  V600's are absolutely awful cans - huge, bulky, plastic contraptions with a horribly imbalanced sound.

The Sony V6's, on the other hand (people sometimes confuse the two), are one of the most historic classic cans that are still omnipresent in radio/recording/tv studios all over.  These days, people tend to think the mids are recessed, but for $70, they run rings around Beats.  On top of that, you can get replacement velour ear cushions for very little that turn them into top/mid-tier headphones.  Many studios order V6's by the dozens, along with the replacement velour cushions and proceed to replace the pads as soon as they pull them out of the box.

B&H Photo and Amazon have the Pearstone velour pads for about $20 a pair, last time I looked.  The Beyerdynamic DT250 cushions will fit as well.

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
No, no!  V600's are absolutely awful cans - huge, bulky, plastic contraptions with a horribly imbalanced sound.

The Sony V6's, on the other hand (people sometimes confuse the two), are one of the most historic classic cans that are still omnipresent in radio/recording/tv studios all over.  These days, people tend to think the mids are recessed, but for $70, they run rings around Beats.  On top of that, you can get replacement velour ear cushions for very little that turn them into top/mid-tier headphones.  Many studios order V6's by the dozens, along with the replacement velour cushions and proceed to replace the pads as soon as they pull them out of the box.

B&H Photo and Amazon have the Pearstone velour pads for about $20 a pair, last time I looked.  The Beyerdynamic DT250 cushions will fit as well.

Agreed. The V6 is one great headphone for the money. I was actually stunned by the sound quality, seriously. I wouldn't say the V600s are awful.. they're OK. 

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
Agreed. The V6 is one great headphone for the money. I was actually stunned by the sound quality, seriously. I wouldn't say the V600s are awful.. they're OK. 

There's enough of a difference between the two though. I'm currently looking for a new pair of more portable headphones in the same price range as this fellow, same standards too. If it weren't for the 10ft cable I'd have chosen them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back