A list of local electronics stores by city (with your help!)
Nov 10, 2007 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

xmokshax

100+ Head-Fier
it occurred to me this evening that it would be very helpful for all of us electronics DIYers, especially those just getting started, to have a comprehensive list of electronic parts stores in and around major metropolitan areas. a quick search didn't turn up any such list, but if one already exists, please let me know.

i don't have much to contribute at this point, but i'll gladly keep the list updated as people make suggestions. if the list grows large enough, i'll organize it alphabetically by city/state/country for easy navigation. i'd also like to include a brief description of each store and the types of items they carry, so include this information if possible when contributing a store. Without further ado...

[size=large]The List:[/size]

Good nationwide store search engine: Find US suppliers with the Kellysearch B2B product search engine

[size=medium]Arizona[/size]

Phoenix area

-Apache Reclamation and Electronics (Phoenix) - "They have a lot of Motorola surplus electronics and tubes."

-Antique Electronic Supply (Tempe) - Antique Electronic Supply

[size=medium]California[/size]

Los Angeles area

-JK Electronics (Westminster) - JK Electronics- Your electronics distributor

-All Electronics (Van Nuys) - All Electronics Corp - Parts, Supplies and Components

Sacramento area

-HSC Electronic Supply - HSC Electronic Supply - Silicon Valley's Electronic Marketplace

San Francisco Bay area

-Al Lasher Electronics (Berkeley) - a dusty old shop that sells everything from soldering iron tips to ICs to tubes; some stock is clearly ancient, but they're friendly and carry a good variety of items.

-Anchor Electronics (Santa Clara) - http://www.demoboard.com/Anchor_Pricelist_Jan07C.pdf

-HSC Electronic Supply (Santa Clara; Santa Rosa) - HSC Electronic Supply - Silicon Valley's Electronic Marketplace

[size=medium]Connecticut[/size]

Hartford area

-Cables and Connectors, Inc. (Newington) - Cables & Connectors, Inc

[size=medium]Georgia[/size]

Atlanta area

-Ack Electronics (Atlanta) - WELCOME TO ACK ELECTRONICS - "A surprising range of stock - and sometimes old - they even carry a wide range of tubes! Hammond cases, precision resistors, semiconductors, switches, test equipment, etc. - pretty much a full-fledged electronics supply house."

-Audio Lab of Georgia (Atlanta) - Audio Lab of Ga - "Mostly speaker components, but they also carry semiconductors, along with NTE parts, Xicon caps, soldering equipment, heat shrink, connectors, etc., etc."

[size=medium]Hawaii[/size]

Honolulu area

-IC Supply (Honolulu) - "Probably the best place on island to get DIY supplies."

[size=medium]Illinois[/size]

Chicago area

-Triode Electronics (Chicago) - Triode Electronics Inc. Online - "No firsthand experience, but the word is that they have a good rotating supply of NOS stock in addition to your standard audio DIY fare, including Hammond cases at prices competitive to Mouser et al. without the shipping cost."

[size=medium]Massachusetts[/size]

Boston area

-DIY Electronics (Newton) - "Not the best prices. but they have tons of stuff. Everytime I go in I spend at least an hour. My wife refuses to go with me now.
tongue.gif
"

[size=medium]Missouri[/size]

St. Louis area

-Gateway Electronics (St. Louis) - Gateway Electronics

[size=medium]Oregon[/size]

Eugene

-Norvac Electronics - NORVAC ELECTRONICS

Portland area

-Cascade Surplus Electronics (Portland) - Cascade Surplus Electronics

-Norvac Electronics (Beaverton) - NORVAC ELECTRONICS

Salem

-Norvac Electronics - NORVAC ELECTRONICS

[size=medium]Texas[/size]

Dallas area

-Tanner Electronics (Carrollton) - Tanner Electronics (Electronic Surplus & Computer Cables) - "Not quite Mouser, but excellent."

Houston area

-EPO Computers Electronics Etc. (Webster) - EPO Computers Electronics Etc. Your One Stop Shop for Computers, Electronics & Surveillance

[size=medium]Utah[/size]

Provo / Orem area

-Central Utah Electronics (Provo) - Central Utah Electronics

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[size=medium]Ontario[/size]

Toronto area

-Supremetronic (Toronto) - Supremetronic Inc. Homepage 3.0

-Active Surplus (Toronto) - ACTIVE SURPLUS ELECTRONICS

-Electrosonic (Toronto) - Electro Sonic - Distributor of Electrical and Electronic Components

-Toronto Surplus & Scientific (Unionville) - Toronto Surplus & Scientific Inc.

-Globe Electronics (Downsview)

-Parts ConneXion (Burlington) - parts conneXion - The authority on hi-fi DIY parts and components - If their online inventory is any indication, this must be a pretty nice store to have around for boutique parts. I've never been to their retail location - can someone who has give some input?

-A1 Electronics (Toronto) - A1 Electronic Parts - Serving the Toronto area for 30 years!

-Active Components (Mississauga) - Welcome to Active Stores

-Sayal Electronics (Toronto) - SAYAL Electronics - Your Source For New And Surplus Electronic Components - We Buy Your Surplus!

The list is off to a good start - keep 'em coming, everyone.

[size=medium]Thanks to all who have contributed to this list:[/size]

jamess71
dBel84
pabbi1
BradJudy
Chu
dcheming
aych
mark10001
pinkfloyd4ever
cbw
Tedro
ericj
Sarchi
amb
tomb
D_Tinnitus

Changelog:

11/25/07 - Rejoice! Head-Fi is back up! Added everyone's suggestions from "the past couple of weeks", i.e., 11/10 and today.
11/26/07 - Added a couple of more entries and reorganized by state first, then city. Periodic updates will no longer be noted, only major changes and rearrangements.

Nov 10, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 32
Boston area. DIY Electronics in Newton MA. Not the best prices. but they have tons of stuff. Everytime I go in I spend at least an hour. My wife refuses to go with me now.
tongue.gif

James

Nov 10, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 32
Nothing around here where I'm at except the local cell phone store (Radio Shack).

Nov 10, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 32
Portland Area:

www.cascadesurplus.com - in the city

www.norvac.com - in Beaverton

Hartford area:

www.cablesandconnectors.com - berlin trunpike

blanking on the name but it is on south rd , has pretty good stock
( I will edit this later when I find their business card )

small radio store - vintage table radios, repairs and tubes (New Britain Ave across from Puritan)

..dB

Nov 10, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 32
Boulder, CO

JB Saunders - The staff doesn't have a great reputation for being nice, but they have softened over the years. It's a great place for picking up anything from new components to surplus parts to tools. Pretty well organized, but they oddly don't mark the aisles, so you have to wander a bit on your first visit. The random mix of surplus means you sometimes find bonus surprises.

Nov 25, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 32
Chicago

Triode Electronics
5633 W. Irving Park Rd
Chicago IL 60634 USA
Ph 773-871-7459 Fax 773-327-5652
Open 10 AM to 5 PM CT, Monday-Friday

No firsthand experience, but the word is that they have a good rotating supply of NOS stock in addition to your standard audio DIY fare, including Hammond cases at prices competitive to Mouser et al. without the shipping cost.

Supposedly Switchcraft has a huge warehouse/distribution point somewhere in the city, but I'm not sure where.

Nov 26, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #12 of 32
Norvac is also in Salem, OR as well as Eugene, OR.

As for Honolulu area there is IC Supply
2978 Ualena St
Honolulu, HI 96819-1912
Tel: 808-839-1966
Fax: 808-837-7718
icsupply@hawaii.rr.com

Probably the best place on island to get DIY supplies.

Nov 26, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #13 of 32
Dont forget about ALLElectronics in CA and there is a electronic surplus store in AZ called Apache reclamation and electronics. they have a lot of motrola surplus electronics and tubes.

Nov 26, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #15 of 32
For Utah, provo/orem area, there's Central Utah Electronics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back