The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 25, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #991 of 23,489
Finally found out what my problem was...apparently the polarity of the sockets in the Tia Fourtes were opposite to my other iems. Therefore my initial impressions were based on the out of phase sound that was coming out of them. However after I made this discovery, I found that the bass was a bit too thick with the 1960 cable so I went out last week to try out a bunch of different cables. Finally ended up with the Brise Audio UPG Ref and enjoying them immensely so far.

Hang on, I'm a bit confused, and by some of the comments above this is snowballing into more confusion for others as well :D

What cable were you using during your initial impressions, stock or 1960 or something else? And how did you have it attached? When it comes to polarity, the socket has 2-wire connection which is symmetric as long as you are consistent between L/R earpieces. So, for example, if you are using stock cable, it has Red (right side) and Blue (left side) dots to make sure you are consistent with both dots facing the same way when connecting the cable. With 1960 cable, you have pre-shaped earhook and need to be sure that you attach L/R sides correctly (marked on the cable with red R and blue L), while pre-shaped earhook goes only one way to guide you when attaching the cable. It's designed to be foolproof unless the cable has no markings, then you have to figure out which side is left/ride (in a worse case attach the cable and play with Balance control of your source to fade left/right so you know if you got it), and look at the plastic housing part of the connector above the pins to make sure the side with a notch in the middle is facing outward.

Among others, I have UM Maestro, Earsonics SEM9, and UE UERR/18+Pro, and with an exception of UE having a different diameter pins requiring me to use UE stock cable, UM and Earsonics work fine with all of my other universal 2pin connector cables. And the same with Fourte and U18, nothing is reversed or requires special cable or anything unique. As long as you are consistent between L/R sides with a cable's 2-pin connector polarity - you are all set!

Jul 26, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #992 of 23,489
Beat me to it. Calling them 'out of phase' is completely incorrect. They are in phase. The term is phase inverted and at best an extremely subtle change if actually the case. Lots of earphones, DAPs and recording are Phase inverted. In fact, judging from the description of change, the Forte's absolute phase is likely correct phase as delivered. If you are able to get all your ducks in very nice row, when inverted, things can sound a gnat's hair thicker and less etched as described.

If I were decreate, I'd put them back the right way and try some copper cables to attempt and get my preferred sig without manipulating absolute phase.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #993 of 23,489
I had an issue with the sound cutting out on one side of my Fourte's, sent them back to 64 Audio and they got a replacement set out to me very quickly. Great customer service. I also picked up the Dita Dream yesterday, same as my Fourte replacement. The Dreams are pretty amazing also. The burn in process on both begins now. My Zeus XRA have some serious competition to contend with. Unfortunately though I m without a DAP having just sold my 380, should have a 1z though within a week. First world problems.

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #994 of 23,489
I had an issue with the sound cutting out on one side of my Fourte's, sent them back to 64 Audio and they got a replacement set out to me very quickly. Great customer service. I also picked up the Dita Dream yesterday, same as my Fourte replacement. The Dreams are pretty amazing also. The burn in process on both begins now. My Zeus XRA have some serious competition to contend with. Unfortunately though I m without a DAP having just sold my 380, should have a 1z though within a week. First world problems.

Burn them In well the dream especially really needs time.

Also, I don't think the zeus
Is remotely in the same league :wink:

Then again I was never quitea fan :)

Jul 28, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #995 of 23,489
Burn them In well the dream especially really needs time.

Also, I don't think the zeus
Is remotely in the same league :wink:

Then again I was never quitea fan :)

I really like the Zeus, especially with the 1960's cable. But there is no denying my love for dynamic driver bass.

Jul 31, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #996 of 23,489
The copper Truth cable is sounding pretty stellar on the U18. I was initially liking the 8 braid DK SPC cable, but the copper Truth is the real deal.

Jul 31, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #997 of 23,489
The copper Truth cable is sounding pretty stellar on the U18. I was initially liking the 8 braid DK SPC cable, but the copper Truth is the real deal.

Can you please explain what impact the Truth copper had on the bass of the U18? Thanks.

Jul 31, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #998 of 23,489

Word. The truth on the fourte and the copper truth on the U18 is what I use, it's so so good.

These truth cables are technically on a whole other level from most cables. They might not sound as flamboyant, but the level of precision and transparency is on a whole other level

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #999 of 23,489
Can you please explain what impact the Truth copper had on the bass of the U18? Thanks.

When I received the tour kit, I fired both up and immediately did not care for the stock cable on the U18. I went from stock>DK SPC 8 braid > OCC mk2 > Dita Cu truth.

Going from the OCC mk 2 to the Dita showed slight improvement in sub bass extension as well as mid bass
Word. The truth on the fourte and the copper truth on the U18 is what I use, it's so so good.

These truth cables are technically on a whole other level from most cables. They might not sound as flamboyant, but the level of precision and transparency is on a whole other level

Agreed, and the cable is not outrageously overpriced like a lot of the stuff on the market. I do not care for the ergonomics of the cable, especially at and below the "Dita" splitter, but hell you can't have everything. I do love the 45* angle though, makes for a really comfortable fit as compared to other straight 2 pin connectors.

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #1,000 of 23,489
When I received the tour kit, I fired both up and immediately did not care for the stock cable on the U18. I went from stock>DK SPC 8 braid > OCC mk2 > Dita Cu truth.

Going from the OCC mk 2 to the Dita showed slight improvement in sub bass extension as well as mid bass

Agreed, and the cable is not outrageously overpriced like a lot of the stuff on the market. I do not care for the ergonomics of the cable, especially at and below the "Dita" splitter, but hell you can't have everything. I do love the 45* angle though, makes for a really comfortable fit as compared to other straight 2 pin connectors.

... and with the Tia Fourte?

TY!

Aug 1, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #1,001 of 23,489
... and with the Tia Fourte?

TY!

I initially learned toward the Fourte, mainly due to the air and the resolution in the vocals, sound stage dynamics, as well as the mid bass presence over the U18. However, although it remains special and quite unique, it became tiring for me to listen to mainly due to the vocals (hah) and the apparent (to my ears) boost in the upper mid/lower treble region. I wouldn't classify it as "sharp," but it gets taxing depending on the music and your sensitivity in that region. I'm not particularly sensitive to treble boost, but I just find myself preferring the smoother treble of the U18 rather than the Fourte.

As many have said, they both complement each other very well, and if I could afford both I'd own both. However, the analogy I told my good friend Eaglewings was this: The U18 is the girl you marry, the one you can and are happy to live with day in and day out. She's every bit as beautiful as her twin, but just different. She's charming and very resolute, and polite when she needs to be. Her twin is the wilder sister, the flamboyant and outgoing one, the one you could date on the short term but would more than likely grow tired of in the long run. She's flashy and rambunctious, and while just as capable as her sister, he talents shine in different areas.

At the end of the day you will be happy with either sister, it all comes down to personal choice.

Aug 1, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #1,002 of 23,489
Looking forward to joining the 64 Audio family, a pair of U6's will be making their way to me soon :D

Anyone here got them?

Had a chat with Roman yesterday and the U6 should fit my tastes of a balanced and fairly neutral monitor.

Aug 1, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #1,003 of 23,489
Looking forward to joining the 64 Audio family, a pair of U6's will be making their way to me soon :D

Anyone here got them?

Had a chat with Roman yesterday and the U6 should fit my tastes of a balanced and fairly neutral monitor.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remain happy with my A6, agree it's strength is a well-balanced sig. Enjoy and welcome to the family!

Aug 1, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #1,004 of 23,489
I would say based on your impressions @San Man, I feel validated in my review of the two headphones. In regards to these headphones, one needs to make sure they take into consideration their source. These are both true to source while having their own unique presentations, that much is clear. I had roughly the same experience your describing with the fourte, comparing the difference in regards to the LG v10 with the Venturecraft dap. Even with fourte's sound signature I could tell the LG had less depth and a more clinical sound with less timbre and body. Leaving me fatigued eventually of how the highs came off. Bright is also a great description. The Venturecraft dap and Fourte provided a unique synergy. One of a level balance with great depth and good width. Highs were extended though, just smooth enough to have room for a little air with fantastic detail. The prion4 simply cleared everything up and brought it a touch forward bringing a sense of intimacy and space.

Aug 1, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #1,005 of 23,489
I initially learned toward the Fourte, mainly due to the air and the resolution in the vocals, sound stage dynamics, as well as the mid bass presence over the U18. However, although it remains special and quite unique, it became tiring for me to listen to mainly due to the vocals (hah) and the apparent (to my ears) boost in the upper mid/lower treble region. I wouldn't classify it as "sharp," but it gets taxing depending on the music and your sensitivity in that region. I'm not particularly sensitive to treble boost, but I just find myself preferring the smoother treble of the U18 rather than the Fourte.

As many have said, they both complement each other very well, and if I could afford both I'd own both. However, the analogy I told my good friend Eaglewings was this: The U18 is the girl you marry, the one you can and are happy to live with day in and day out. She's every bit as beautiful as her twin, but just different. She's charming and very resolute, and polite when she needs to be. Her twin is the wilder sister, the flamboyant and outgoing one, the one you could date on the short term but would more than likely grow tired of in the long run. She's flashy and rambunctious, and while just as capable as her sister, he talents shine in different areas.

At the end of the day you will be happy with either sister, it all comes down to personal choice.

Ah, sorry I wasn't more clear. My inquiry is about the copper Truth cable with the Tia Fourte.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back