The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 12, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #931 of 23,417
I've had my Tia Fourte for a bit over a week now but still find the treble a bit shrill / sibilant and the bass a bit lean at times. Currently driving them with a Sony WM1Z (balanced), using a PW Audio 1960 (4 wire) cable and ortofon silicon tips. Have finally resorted to using eq where I boost the bass (mainly 62hz and a bit of 125hz) and the mids (mainly 2k with a bit of 1k and 4k) to get the sound closer to where I like. However I would really appreciate any cable recommendations that may help in getting the sound closer to what I like without having to resort to using eq on the dap.

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #932 of 23,417
do you guys know if it is possible to reshell U18 to A18 model ?

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #933 of 23,417
I've had my Tia Fourte for a bit over a week now but still find the treble a bit shrill / sibilant and the bass a bit lean at times. Currently driving them with a Sony WM1Z (balanced), using a PW Audio 1960 (4 wire) cable and ortofon silicon tips. Have finally resorted to using eq where I boost the bass (mainly 62hz and a bit of 125hz) and the mids (mainly 2k with a bit of 1k and 4k) to get the sound closer to where I like. However I would really appreciate any cable recommendations that may help in getting the sound closer to what I like without having to resort to using eq on the dap.
EQ by cable cost money, eq by sonys great eq is free. You have a warm dap, a cable that pushes the bass and a iem that has more bass than other so called Audiophile iems. Maybe try Comply foam tips. Or get the Lyra iem

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #934 of 23,417
....I'm switching between different cables, and keep coming back to the stock 64audio cable for Fourte as the best pair up synergy (again, for my ears based on my sound preference).

If this is the case, this is good news (for our wallet), but then this urghe the need to be able to get a balanced 2,5 mm "stock" option from 64audio for A&K owners !.

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #935 of 23,417
Which size of your ortofon tips?, my recommendation is make sure that they fit your ears otherwise you might hear peaky treble frequently, Let's tuning on 'M', 'L' size and the o-ring spacer first. I quite sure if you change to other tips likes JVC spiral dot, Final Audio Design type E. You might never found any sibilant because they do cut off those frequency well. hehe

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #936 of 23,417
If this is the case, this is good news (for our wallet), but then this urghe the need to be able to get a balanced 2,5 mm "stock" option from 64audio for A&K owners !.

Stock cable uses Neutrik connector and 4 separate conductors, might be cheaper/easier to just re-terminate with a balanced connector and use an adapter if you want to go single ended :wink:

Keep in mind, I'm just talking about my own sound preference where I like to keep sound smoother and more natural, less revealing.

Jul 12, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #937 of 23,417
do you guys know if it is possible to reshell U18 to A18 model ?

Reshell somewhere else, outside of 64audio? I wouldn't trust anybody else to do it, this is not a simple multi-BA design with drivers grouped/tubed going to the nozzle which you can cut'n'paste into another shell. If you want to switch from U to A, talk to 64audio.

Jul 12, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #938 of 23,417

My personal opinion, as I mentioned before, 1960 is not a good pair up for Fourte since in this particular case it makes bass smoother, more laid back, and upper frequencies brighter. Stock cable will smooth out some of the upper frequency peaks. As much as I love 1960 2wire/4wire, I find it not even a good pair up with U18, where I prefer Lionheart psquare with it. Have you tried comply foam tips? Along with a stock cable that could help you.

But I think you might have to face another decision. I know, in our mind we think, more expensive means better sound. But it's not about better sound but finding the better sound within sound sig of your preference. A few months ago some guy had a meltdown in Empire thread screaming "What, I thought Zeus-XRA is TOTL, where is the bass?!?" lol!!!! Some people are less sensitive to brighter upper frequencies and want a more revealing/analytical sound with mid-forward presentation. That's how I hear TIA Fourte, it has this smooth analog textured bass (not over exaggerated) compensated by a brighter, more revealing upper mids/lower treble (keep in mind, Fourte has 2x TIA drivers vs U18 having only one). You can switch cables, play with eartips, but once you go for EQ adjustment, considering the price of Fourte, it's a sign you got IEM with a sound sig which is not exactly your cup of tea, and perhaps U18 w/M15 might be a better choice for you? Did you compare both before deciding on Fourte? Sorry, not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to help, man.

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #939 of 23,417

If you can, audition the 1960 2-wire. The 4-wire is essentially an 8-core cable, which will have less (overall across the frequency) bass but a larger soundstage. The 2-wire (a 4 core cable) may suit you more, but do try to audition it first.

At the same time, try tip rolling. The ortofon tips I've found always make the treble a bit sharp and bright.

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #940 of 23,417
If you can, audition the 1960 2-wire. The 4-wire is essentially an 8-core cable, which will have less (overall across the frequency) bass but a larger soundstage. The 2-wire (a 4 core cable) may suit you more, but do try to audition it first.

At the same time, try tip rolling. The ortofon tips I've found always make the treble a bit sharp and bright.

^^^ THIS!!!!!!!

Just tried TIA Fourte with 1960 2wire and that's exactly the sound I was looking for. The signature is more balanced, not as mid-forward, bass lifted a little more, and treble is less peaky. Not talking about sound change like a drastic EQ adjustment, I'm sure it's a subtle change, but enough to tip the scale to sound just right to my ears.

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #941 of 23,417
First of all thanks to all those who have responded to my post. In regards to tip rolling, I've actually tried comply and never really liked them as I found that although they do make the treble less peaky and increases the bass, they make the overall sound of the iem a little too muffled and 'dead' if that makes any sense. I've also tried spinfits and spiral dots but found they don't sound as 'airy' as the ortofons. The reason I was asking for cable recommendations was because when I switch back to the original cable, I find them to have the kind of sound similar to what I was looking for. However I kept missing the slightly better sound stage and minute details that the 1960 provides...

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #942 of 23,417

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll see if I can find anywhere here in Hong Kong where I can demo the 2 wire. I know it sounds strange being that PW Audio is local here in Hong Kong, but I haven't seen a lot of places that sell them and I actually got my 4 wire while I was on vacation in Singapore about half a year ago.

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #943 of 23,417
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll see if I can find anywhere here in Hong Kong where I can demo the 2 wire. I know it sounds strange being that PW Audio is local here in Hong Kong, but I haven't seen a lot of places that sell them and I actually got my 4 wire while I was on vacation in Singapore about half a year ago.

Yeah, Music Sanctuary is where you get your PWA cable fix lol!!!

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #944 of 23,417
Yeah, Music Sanctuary is where you get your PWA cable fix lol!!!
Its definitely a great place with nice people although my wallet really hated it hahaha....if I'm not able to find PW Audio cables to demo here in Hong Kong then I'll probably have to wait until I go to Tokyo in October. Seems like most shops here sell Effect Audio and Labkable cables.

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #945 of 23,417
Its definitely a great place with nice people although my wallet really hated it hahaha....if I'm not able to find PW Audio cables to demo here in Hong Kong then I'll probably have to wait until I go to Tokyo in October. Seems like most shops here sell Effect Audio and Labkable cables.
There are three shops in Hong Kong where anyone can demo every cable PW Audio makes. You can sit 6 hrs non stop demoing cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back