2359glenn | studio
Jun 19, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #15,286 of 39,983
You totally lost me. I've never sold anything Glenn has made for me. In fact a while back I was ranting about how I don't see how anybody possibly could sell a thing that was made just for them.

Both my OTL and 45 are sitting right next to me and they're the only things I use for listening to music aside from the IHA-1 (which is in the closet right now because the OTL stole it's spot for the moment).
Oh my bad! From the way the conversation I was under the impression it was sold. Apologies are in order, dear sir. The 45 sound like an interesting amp. Could you, for my benefit if not others, share some sonic impressions of this amplifier? Thanks

Jun 20, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #15,287 of 39,983
No new designs yet still trying to get the EL3N off the ground. Nobody realizes how good this amp sounds.
Planing on not building the 300B amp any more to many complaints from hum from the power transformer
not fun anymore.
Now the OTL , EL3N and maybe the 45 amp that Tyrel has.
Possibly a single tube amp using C3g's

Single tube amp using C3g sounds very interesting

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #15,289 of 39,983
Could you, for my benefit if not others, share some sonic impressions of this amplifier? Thanks

This sort of thing used to come fairly easy to me, but for whatever reason I struggle with this kind of thing now. Part of the problem is, I'm finding, that the closer a system gets to sounding like real live music the fewer words and descriptions seem to apply outside of just saying "it sounds live" or the like. The way I always put it the few times I've had conversations with people about it is this: it puts you in front of the microphone. That's how I feel about it. After I finished the last round of upgrades it felt like things shifted gears. Talking about things like soundstage just doesn't seem to fit anymore. What I hear when I listen now is the entire acoustic space the recording microphone was in. With eyes closed it is incredibly easy to imagine I'm there. There is a perception of air and space that I didn't even know *existed to be perceived* in a recording before. It makes the music feel much deeper, much more real.

Literally everything else I owned was holding the 45 back. As I upgraded other components I kept unlocking new aspects of sound I couldn't perceive before. That alone says everything about how good Glenn is at this. Literally everything else I owned was holding it back, and maybe still is! One other thing I can say is: I'm content. You have to know me as a person to realize how much weight there is to that statement. I'm never content with anything, ever. To reach a place where I'm truly happy with my system and am not striving for more is a state of being I didn't think was possible. Everything just sounds so *right*, in every aspect you care to examine. Tone, realism, timbre, note decay, transients, leading edges, dynamics, and on and on...... they all just sound *right* as you would expect them to sound in real life. I'm honestly so amazed that this kind of realism is possible in a recording.

Hmmm..... so what I can I say that might actually be *helpful* to you? I wish I could compare the sound to the 300B or the EL3N but I haven't heard either of them. It's pretty easy to make generalizations about the 300B sound, but I haven't heard Glenn's take on a 300B so it seems unfair to make those assumptions. Conventional wisdom says a 45 has a leaner and less "bloomy" sound than a 300B, but Glenn's amps have a way of breaking the mold in a good way. I can say that if you like a "tubey" or "rich and euphonic" sound the 45 might not be your ticket. It's a very accurate sound. Probably closer to a very good solid state amp, but with superior tone color (and by superior I mean more correct because the tone colors of solid state amps all sound wrong to my ears). I think most people who have never heard a 45 before are surprised by how fast and dynamic they are, especially given their power output. But people also take these comments to mean the sound is not as musical as a more "tubey" amp and this is absolutely not the case! The 45 has this "toe tapping" quality that makes you extremely aware of rhythm, time and harmony that deepens your listening experience. It just doesn't exaggerate certain aspects of the sound in the way most traditional tube amps tend to. The most incredible way to experience it is when you can turn off your other senses. I will listen eyes closed with the room as dark as I can make it and the way the notes just emerge from the blackness is hair raising on some recordings. It's so easy to feel and perceive the recording space this way.

Everything else feels like a more shallow listening experience by comparison. Within the scope of what I have personally experienced and listened to of course. I have no idea if any of that rambling is helpful to you, but that's what came out of my head when I sat down to write this reply. :)

Cheers and happy listening.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #15,290 of 39,983
There's no beating Glenn 300B, haven't heard the other Glenn amp, but I just know it :) :)

Jun 21, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #15,291 of 39,983
Tyrell, your impressions have been most helpful in giving me the little insights into how the 45 amp might sound like. I must say the realism was something I experienced on occasion with the EL3N amp as well. The part where you mentioned toe tapping quality caught my eye especially since I listen to a lot of hard rock/metal tunes and this quality is important to my genre of preference.

The only negative take away is possibly the bottle neck the rest of my chain may be imposing on the amp. I do not have top tier dacs nor using hi res recordings. That being the case, this could be an expensive trip but something worth exploring for the sake of experiencing realistic live sound in ones living room.

Jun 21, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #15,292 of 39,983
With regard to a 45 amp, another thing to consider is the availability of this tube. To my knowledge, there are no modern 45s being made. Further, the older and more coveted globe versions are quite scarce and obtaining a matched pair can be expensive. Perhaps Tyrell will comment further...

Jun 21, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #15,295 of 39,983
I made the EL3n amp as a alternative to the expensive 45 and PX4 tubes.
The EL3N is only $35 in the US vrs 100s for 45s and PX4s.
I think it sounds close to these best sounding tubes.
Might make a amp EL3N driven by a C3g maybe the most transparent tube made.
And a amp that just uses one C3g or C3m per channel will still be 1.5 watts per channel.
Cant think of any other tubes that sound as good maybe the 2A3 or 6A3 will sound as good
and put out a little more power.
There is also the 46 a odd tube that can be used in place of a 45 with the right adapter.
But the 46 is a little less power 1.1 watts.

The only thing holding me back from building these experimental amps is quality
Lundahl transformers cost $1000 to build a amp. Allot of money to spend on a experiment.

Jun 21, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #15,299 of 39,983
All the recent talk about the 45 got me thinking that I hadn't listened to the type 76 in over a year. I remember loving the tone of these RCA type 76, and sure enough, matched with a Valvo AZ12 and four Tung-Sol 6BX7, they are every bit as good as I remember, and even better. :)

2017-06-21 21.22.21.jpg

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #15,300 of 39,983
The only negative take away is possibly the bottle neck the rest of my chain may be imposing on the amp. I do not have top tier dacs nor using hi res recordings. That being the case, this could be an expensive trip but something worth exploring for the sake of experiencing realistic live sound in ones living room.
Got to start somewhere. Too expensive to upgrade everything to the same level at once. I upgraded piece-by-piece. I'm very happy with my current DAC/pre-amp/headphone amp setup. Other pieces might get upgraded next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back