2359glenn | studio
Jun 17, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #15,273 of 39,983
Wow that is old now I can barley remember building it but have pictures of the innards just have to find them.

This is a picture that I would love to see Glenn.

Jun 17, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #15,274 of 39,983
Jun 17, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #15,275 of 39,983
I cover my precious during the weekdays to keep dust out.

Jun 17, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #15,276 of 39,983
Wow that is old now I can barley remember building it but have pictures of the innards just have to find them.
I have this photo too somewhere, but I'm not sure where it is. Nobody else but me wanted a 45 amp. People don't think they have enough power.

I've always considered it to be a highly successful design. The only things about the amp I would change were aspects of the design I selected and insisted upon myself, such as the 6BY5 rectifiers. If I were having it built today I'd actually just have HEXFREDs placed internally in the enclosure and not even bother with tube rectifiers. You really got the amp to where I wanted it to be by suggesting that change Glenn. The 6BY5s were an endless source of trouble.

edit: maybe I don't have that photo. I looked........ couldn't find it.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #15,278 of 39,983
I have this photo too somewhere, but I'm not sure where it is. Nobody else but me wanted a 45 amp. People don't think they have enough power.

I can understand people wanting the extra power for speaker listening, but for headphone listening this is just crazy talk, how loud can one listen to headphones anyways. You certainly would not need 8 amps.
the only exception that I can think of would be the HE-6...I am not sure what kind of power that needs, but I have heard it needs a lot.
With Glenns EL3N amp and my planar headphones, there is no way that you are getting that volume knob up too far in two stage mode.....and this amp totally controls the drivers in the planar and i believe it is like a tad over 1.5 amps at 50 Ohm.

I think every amp that Glenn has ever built has a little bit of over kill in it. Look at his OTL amps, you will have to look long and hard to find one with as much lead way in the transformer that Glenn gives you. Tube rolling possibilities are greater here than any other OTL amp that I am aware of. If you can not use a tube in one of these OTL amps, it is usually because the tube is too puny and won't hold up :laughing:
The bang for the buck is just plain crazy with his amps.

edit: maybe I don't have that photo. I looked........ couldn't find it.
Haha, thanks for covering for my laziness. Here's the part where I confess the truth about why I don't like to post pictures of the amp: It has an embarrasing amount of dust on it. :p Not due to lack of use mind you, it's just a pain to dust.

I just use one of these and dust mine a couple times a week, works great and only takes a few seconds.
fbfd6432-bd0a-4252-a1ae-326879d63c83_1000.jpg

HAPPY FATHERS DAY EVERYBODY!

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #15,280 of 39,983
Will you build another one, Glenn?

On another note, have you any new amp designs in mind since you've introduced the EL3N already?

No new designs yet still trying to get the EL3N off the ground. Nobody realizes how good this amp sounds.
Planing on not building the 300B amp any more to many complaints from hum from the power transformer
not fun anymore.
Now the OTL , EL3N and maybe the 45 amp that Tyrel has.
Possibly a single tube amp using C3g's

Jun 18, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #15,281 of 39,983
Haha, thanks for covering for my laziness. Here's the part where I confess the truth about why I don't like to post pictures of the amp: It has an embarrasing amount of dust on it. :p Not due to lack of use mind you, it's just a pain to dust.

For dust removal just pick up an inexpensive set (e.g. under $10 Amazon) of makeup brushes. They work great for all the cracks and creases and I also use them for notebook, keyboard, and screen cleaning etc. (i.e. all electronic components.)

81HtKOYqg0L._SX522_.jpg

Jun 18, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #15,282 of 39,983
No new designs yet still trying to get the EL3N off the ground. Nobody realizes how good this amp sounds.
Planing on not building the 300B amp any more to many complaints from hum from the power transformer
not fun anymore.
Now the OTL , EL3N and maybe the 45 amp that Tyrel has.
Possibly a single tube amp using C3g's

The 45 amp sounds interesting - could it be the natural sound-free successor to the 300B amp?

Other than the EL3N, could you build another amp with different tube configuration which doesn't require tube rolling to sound good?

Jun 19, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #15,284 of 39,983
Tyrell, believe you've sold the amp but why? Probably could have sent it back to Glenn to install hexfreds instead :wink:
You totally lost me. I've never sold anything Glenn has made for me. In fact a while back I was ranting about how I don't see how anybody possibly could sell a thing that was made just for them.

Both my OTL and 45 are sitting right next to me and they're the only things I use for listening to music aside from the IHA-1 (which is in the closet right now because the OTL stole it's spot for the moment).

Jun 19, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #15,285 of 39,983
I just use one of these and dust mine a couple times a week, works great and only takes a few seconds.

HAPPY FATHERS DAY EVERYBODY!
If you look at how a C3g sits in its socket, at least if you have the Yamamoto soundcraft socket like I do, you can see that dusting that way would actually "push" the dust down into the pin sockets. I have carefully gone around everything a few times with a swiffer grabber cloth, but it's a pain for my clumsy hands so I don't do it often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back