1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Sep 14, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #6,572 of 9,124
Managed to try the new APEX modules. I have the original ADEL S1 modules with my U12s. 

Impressions:

Overall, the new modules are slightly smaller than the original ADEL S1 modules, so they slide in better.

Sound wise, it makes the soundstage much wider, and spaces the sounds apart better, because of the wider soundstage. However, sub-bass is weaker and the presentation becomes less intimate. Like being in a wider room. Vocals are strengthened, overall. 

Isolation wise, the APEX modules have less isolation, as compared to the ADEL modules.

Resolution wise, I few that it is the same, just that the signature changes by a bit.

It is almost like listening to an open pair of headphones and closed pair of headphones that use the exact same driver, for those who know what it is like.

Overall, I'm ok with either module, but I'm just lazy to purchase the new APEX modules because I would need to pre-order etc. 

For those who love sub-bass, better isolation and prefer a more intimate soundstage, I would recommend that you stick with the old ADEL S1 modules. 

For those who prefer less sub-bass, more prominent vocals/mids and a wider soundstage, with slightly less noise isolation, I would recommend the new APEX modules.

My setup:
Onkyo DP-X1 (latest firmware) --> RSA Protector Amp --> PlusSound Tri-metal 8-core cable --> 64Audio U12

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #6,573 of 9,124
If anyone knows any impedance adapters in the 15-25 ohm range(that can be delivered in a few days or a week) please chime in, looks like I may have gone too high with the ~100ohm UE buffer jack.

Sep 14, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #6,574 of 9,124
If anyone knows any impedance adapters in the 15-25 ohm range(that can be delivered in a few days or a week) please chime in, looks like I may have gone too high with the ~100ohm UE buffer jack.

I thought it was 75ohms?

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #6,576 of 9,124
  Managed to try the new APEX modules. I have the original ADEL S1 modules with my U12s. 

Impressions:

Overall, the new modules are slightly smaller than the original ADEL S1 modules, so they slide in better.

Sound wise, it makes the soundstage much wider, and spaces the sounds apart better, because of the wider soundstage. However, sub-bass is weaker and the presentation becomes less intimate. Like being in a wider room. Vocals are strengthened, overall. 

Isolation wise, the APEX modules have less isolation, as compared to the ADEL modules.

Resolution wise, I few that it is the same, just that the signature changes by a bit.

It is almost like listening to an open pair of headphones and closed pair of headphones that use the exact same driver, for those who know what it is like.

Overall, I'm ok with either module, but I'm just lazy to purchase the new APEX modules because I would need to pre-order etc. 

For those who love sub-bass, better isolation and prefer a more intimate soundstage, I would recommend that you stick with the old ADEL S1 modules. 

For those who prefer less sub-bass, more prominent vocals/mids and a wider soundstage, with slightly less noise isolation, I would recommend the new APEX modules.

My setup:
Onkyo DP-X1 (latest firmware) --> RSA Protector Amp --> PlusSound Tri-metal 8-core cable --> 64Audio U12

Your description of the APEX mirrors my experience comparing the S1 and the B1 ADEL modules.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 14, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #6,577 of 9,124
As I mentioned before, I received a pair of APEX M20 modules (thank you 64Audio for providing a review sample), and would like to share with you my impressions.

I know there have been a lot of discussions after 64Audio and Asius Tech (makers of Adel) parted their ways, and 64Audio introduced their own APEX M20 module.  Since the new U/A line of 64 Audio iems/ciems will only support APEX modules moving forward (not backward compatible with ADEL modules), many questions were raised if APEX module is backward compatible with original 64Audio shell designed for ADEL module.  And of course, many are curious how it sounds in comparison.  Paul (@Brooko) already provided a very comprehensive overview and FR graphs capturing what he found with U6 and U10 using different modules and impedance adapter (a few pages back in this thread). 

Impedance adapter?  Yes, it was another surprise since we just learned that the original U12/A12 design was tuned for stage performers who often use wireless pro-equipment that has higher output impedance.  Thus, to hear U12/A12 the way how it was originally intended to sound by 64Audio - you can't rely on your typical low output impedance DAPs or the latest smartphones.  Keep in mind, it doesn't mean U12 will sound bad without impedance adapter.  Sound perception varies from person to person.  We have different ear anatomy, different hearing level, our hearing changes as we age or get exposed to different environment, and so on.  When I'm describing a sound, it's relative to how I hear it which doesn't guarantee that you will hear it exactly the same.  In my original review of U12 I found the sound to be thicker and warmer due to elevated mid-bass and was able to fine-tune it to my liking by switching cables and later going to B1 module.

Here, my 2 goals were to see if APEX M20 going to fit the original U12 I have from early this year, and how it sounds in comparison to S1, B1, and G1.  In terms of the fit, there was no issues.  Of course, pictures worth a thousand words and you can see it for yourself below, but in general APEX module is a bit smaller in diameter and in order to fit tight into the shell cavity originally intended for ADEL, looks to me like it uses a thicker rubber o-ring.  The fit was a touch looser in comparison to ADEL.  While I had to use IC Chip extractor to pull ADEL, here I was using my nails with ease.  If you are doing daily module swaps, I can only assume that under friction the o-ring seal will loosen up with time, so keep that in mind.  Don't think it's a problem since majority of people not going to be swapping their modules every hour.  I also noticed a metal mesh inside of M20 module.

Another physical difference is the top cap part where ADEL has the decorative groove all the way around it (helps to grab the module), while APEX has two slits on the opposite sides which doesn't go all the way around the top.  One side has a port opening, the same port opening which ADEL has at the tip in the middle of the top.  Relocation of this port will have some effect on the sound, with a slight improvement of isolation (meaning more bass) and blocking some windnoise (which could also lead to some reduction in soundstage expansion).  The only concern I have is that dirt can get trapped around the port area and can clog the port itself.

For my sound test, I went back to the stock OFC wires and used PAW Gold as my reference source.  But in order to get a better feeling for a sound change, I also introduced UE Buffer jack impedance adapter, going between HO of my source and U12.  I know, it's not always the best idea to introduce another variable into the equation, but I wanted to go back to a sound signature as it was intended originally by 64Audio.  All this time I was under impression that UE Buffer jack has 75 ohm impedance, while I just got info from UE and they mentioned it only changes the resistance by 15 ohm.  Either way, using this impedance adapter yields an improvement to my ears, having a slight reduction in mid-bass punch while improving the clarity and retrieval of details from upper mids and even a touch more sparkle in treble.

With this setup,  U12 w/OFC cable and UE Buffer and PAW Gold source, I hear the following:

S1 -> M20 - very similar sound and soundstage, except I hear a little stronger mid-bass impact with M20.

G1 -> M20 - very similar sound, including a similar mid-bass impact, but G1 has a little more sparkle in treble and a slightly wider soundstage.

B1 -> M20 - B1 has a more balanced mid-bass with less impact in comparison to M20, a little smoother upper mids, and a little more expanded soundstage.

Here are the pictures, click on images to expand:

* please, don't reply to this message with a quote
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #6,578 of 9,124
* please, don't reply to this message with a quote :D

Awesome review and comparison, Twister.

And I wouldn't dream of quoting you. :wink:

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #6,580 of 9,124
Thank you so much twister6, you are the MAN yet again. So you're saying the UE buffer jack only raises impedance to ~15ohm (per UE)? Everybody give this man a :thumbsup: for all the work he does.

Sep 14, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #6,582 of 9,124
I just got and am listening with UE buffer jack, B1 & Mojo. To volume match I just picked a comfy setting without bufferjack and then counted up 10 Mojo clicks with buffer jack. As I go back and forth I go down 10, up 10, as I compare with and without thr buffer jack.

Does anyone know exactly how many clicks on Mojo to compensate for the bufferjack, I estimate it is 9-12 clicks. I believe mojo is ~1.2-1.4db per click. Normally I would listen with Mojo at around 10-14 clicks, with the buffer jack I'm at around 18-25 clicks.

I can tell the increased treble right away, this is much better and more of the sound sig I was looking for. More in depth comments tonight.

Sep 14, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #6,583 of 9,124
Had anyone experienced moisture inside the mams? I sold my set to another member and they told me that upon receiving them he notice the membranes were ddifferent shades of white and there was moisture. Anyone else experience this?

You can spray the membrane with alcohol and when it drys it'll all be the same white. The membrane material is alot like a grey t-shirt, tiny bit of moisture and it looks like it's a whole different color. It doesn't have any change on the performance, but some people can be sorta OCD about that type of stuff.

Sep 14, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #6,584 of 9,124
You can spray the membrane with alcohol and when it drys it'll all be the same white. The membrane material is alot like a grey t-shirt, tiny bit of moisture and it looks like it's a whole different color. It doesn't have any change on the performance, but some people can be sorta OCD about that type of stuff.

Also noticed this when mowing with MAM's and shooting ear protection(to mute mower) on during a HOT day, can confirm it does go away, no big issue at all. Also, membranes in MAM can appear saggy or taught depending on MAM adjustments and will also return to normal after adjustments.

Sep 14, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #6,585 of 9,124
Also noticed this when mowing with MAM's and shooting ear protection(to mute mower) on during a HOT day, can confirm it does go away, no big issue at all. Also, membranes in MAM can appear saggy or taught depending on MAM adjustments and will also return to normal after adjustments.

Membranes can stretch over time as well. They always go back to the original size/tightness, but if say somebody keeps their MAMs all the way forward (tension on the membrane) for months then dials them back to no tension on the membrane. They'll be a bit extra floppy for a few hours, usually takes overnight for them to be just like new if they've been stretched for so long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back