~12v ~50a Power Supply
Dec 25, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #16 of 18
OK, well, a 500W amp is no joke. You won't be able to get a single-chip solution like you could for 80W or so and when a big amp goes wrong, it usually goes wrong more dramatically than a little one. 

You posted a link earlier to Rod Elliott's site for the the PSU, if you look on his site you'll find this:- http://sound.westhost.com/project68.htm, which is a 500W subwoofer amp.

20-30 lines down the page it says explicitly in large red lettering:-

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS AMPLIFIER AS YOUR FIRST PROJECT

You can get some help on diyaudio.com if you decide to push ahead.

I'd recommend that you buy the Dayton Plate amp though, and get your DIY fix by building a headphone amp or a gainclone. If you want something with a lot of parts, a discrete headphone amp.

w

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #17 of 18
First, I agree (for once) with most of what waki has said and nikongod, too.

Second, if I was to build a speaker amp ... this is the one I'd do, without a doubt:
http://www.amb.org/audio/beta24/

It's at least in your territory of power at 310W/channel into 4 ohms.  You might try PM'ng AMB or look him up on his forum.  He may have some specific recommendations for combined loads as low as 2 ohms.

It's still quite a bit to chew on if you haven't had a heck of a lot of experience with amplifier projects (that's probably an understatement).

Dec 26, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #18 of 18
Not worried about death by amplifier. Everyone goes sometime and driving to work is dangerous too! The depth of a project like this also doesn't scare me. Patience is a powerful force. I looked at doing an AMB headphone amp a few months back, but school made it an impossibility. I'll likely do it in the next couple years though.

I really like the idea of chatting with AMB about extended capabilities of the b24, or his recommendation. Thanks! I'll update when progress is made. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back