Head-Fi.org › TheOneInYellow's profile
|Forum Post Count:
||11 hours, 25 minutes ago
|Interests (Hobbies, favorite activities, etc.):
||Music, Games, Films, Pub, Books/Manga/Comics, Science, Technology, Space, Gadgets, Archery
|What I do for a living:
||Promotional Agent, various companies
||Current (Reverse chronological):
- Audeze EL8 Titanium, part of the re-voiced and updated 2016 EL8 series (cable is Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite 4-Wire cable with Audeze Zync connectors and 2.5 mm balanced Eidolic termination),
- KEF Audio M500,
- Polk Audio 4Shot exclusively for online gaming via Xbox One,
- AKG K 712 headphones.
I should add that I augment my headphone audio experience by using the SubPac S2 setback tactile bass system. Please see Other Audio Equipment for more info.
Current (Reverse chronological, not in use):
- Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro (with optional Custom Headset Gear accessory),
- Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's,
- AKG K 701 headphones with gel earpads,
- Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro IEM's (Comply TX-500 Foam Tips) and FiiO RC-UE1 recable,
- Etymotic Research ER-6i IEM's (Foam eartips),
Previous (Incomplete, headphones long since gone/broken/lost):
- Audeze EL8 closed back (with my former Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite with Audeze Zync connectors and 3.5 mm SE Eidolic termination. This has since been re-terminated into 2.5 mm TRRS balanced Eidolic by DHC and is use with my new EL8 Titanium headphones).
Headphones developed a fault in Jan 2016 and with the help of Audeze I got a new and updated pair of EL8 Ti instead ^^
- Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro (Double Flanges/Foam eartips). Lost left ear monitor. :(
- Sony MDR-EX90SLB.
- Philips SHE8500 (I think...).
- x3 Sony MDR-EX71SLB. First one was an original Japanese import sold by a UK Sony Centre, but I abused it heavily. Second pair was an European mass produced version with inferior cable sheathing that cracked with sweat and skin oil. Third pair was a replacement for the second pair, but had same poor quality cable sheathing problems.
|Headphone Amp Inventory
- CEntrance HIFI-M8 iDevice 4XL version with a 4-Pin XLR jack, TRS jack, and a combo 3.5mm/optical jack.
- When playing either on my Xbox One or Xbox 360 solo games, I set my consoles into Dolby Digital bitstreaming mode and use Turtle Beach EarForce 7.1 DSP Dolby Digital Headphone sound processor. The signal, via a 3.5mm male-to-male Zu Audio interlink cable, fed into my iFi Audio Retro Stereo 50.
Previous (but most recent):
- iFi Audio Retro Stereo 50 vacuum tube DAC/amp/headphone amp/phono/Bluetooth/NFC.
Current (Reverse chronological, unused):
- JDS Labs C5 Red Slate with custom anodised artwork and name on casework.
My backup amp,
- NuForce Icon Desktop Amplifier with DAC (not used) and headphone amplifier. Has original 23w PSU,
- JDS Labs c421 AD8620 original pre-production model, original gain settings and original casework. One of the jacks was broken, which over a year later was sent back to be fixed (but no parts to change the gain settings were available, so gain settings remained the same) and new casework.
- JDS Labs cMoy BB v2.02 custom amp with many modifications by John Seaber using superior parts. Has internal toggle switch.
- JDS Labs cMoy BB v2.01 with external toggle switch for boost.
- Onkyo DP-X1: ESS Sabre ES9018K2M x2 and ESS Sabre 9601K x2 in BTL config and Active Control Ground, Android 5.1.1.,
- Lenovo G510 Intel 4th Gen quad-core Core i7 laptop with 1TB internal HDD and 8GB RAM. A 3TB internal HDD is externally located with my music and interfaced with laptop via an Inatek USB 3.0 HDD dock.
Audio is connected to my laptop via three pieces of USB gear (see Cable Inventory).
- Onkyo DP-X1.
(Below are now infrequent equipment but still used):
- High Resolution Technologies (HRT) dSP device. Only used in conjunction with my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 when going ultra portable (KEF Audio M500 on-ear headphones are used).
- 2007 6G iPod Classic 160GB (1st version, no revision).
(The 3rd version, 2nd revision is often confused as the 7G iPod Classic). This is fed into my CEntrance HiFi-M8.
via a CEntrance 30-pin to USB Type-B LOD cable. This is my primary portable setup.
- PC's, all broke. I use my sisters Sony Netbook but primarily to transfer music to my iPod Classic.
- iFi propriety silver speaker cables with Z-connector's (included with iFi Audio Retro Stereo 50),
- iFi Audio Gemini dual-headed USB Cable. Data end is connected to laptop, and power end is...
- ...connected to iFi Audio iUSBPower supply (this is the correct way to use both, taken from an official source inside AMR/iFi Audio!),
- iFi Audio iPurifier; the combined data and power end of the Gemini cable, which is connected as above, is plugged into the iFi Audio Stereo 50 to reduce further any RFI/EMI/etc from the Gemini cable itself,
- Zu Audio 3.5mm male-to-male interconnect used between Turtle Beach EarForce 7.1 DSP sound processor and iFi Audio Retro Stereo 50,
- Generic 3.5mm male-to-male interconnect between one of the two headphone output's of my iFi Audio Retro Stereo 50 (or CEntrance HiFi-M8) to my SubPac S2 seatback tactile bass system.
- Heir Audio Magnus cable for Heir Audio 4.Ai.
- Lambert Audio The Cleaner AC conditioner from Indiegogo campaign (still yet to arrive).
- Please see cable Inventory for iFi Audio power information.
|Other Audio Equipment
- iFi Audio Retro LS3.5,
- JohnBlue AudioArt JB3 nearfield speakers.
- Logitech Z-4 2.1 Speakers,
- Generic PC speakers of yore,
- Old hifi equipment from my younger years.
- SubPac S2 seatback tactile bass system.
This device allows one to physically feel bass and sub-bass frequencies by way of force-feedback using miniturised actuators. It is attached to the chair of the listener, and you put your back to it.
The control box itself has a bass intensity knob, is battery powered, and is Bluetooth cable!
Connect your amp to the control box line in, and headphones into the control box; the box just passes out the headphone feed unchanged.
However if you have an amp that can drive two or more headphone, then one can be used for headphones, and the other for the SubPac S2.
- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E soundcard.
- TurtleBeach EarForce DSS 7.1 sound processor for use with my Xbox One Day One Edition or Xbox 360 S Halo 4 LE console (previously Xbox 360 Halo 3 LE console). I bypass the amp section (turn volume to full, or full unity gain) and output this to my iFi Audio Retro Stereo 50.
||Rock, Dance, Japanese, Classical, Jazz, Metal, DnB, Dubstep, Proto Rap, Acoustic, Soundtracks, Ambient, Acousmatic, Big Beat, UK Garage, Modern Classical, loads more...
Below is an old list, my current favourite pieces of music and genres is far wider, and I am both less naive and no longer a pretentious teenager brat ;)
Rock (all types generally):
Nine Inch Nails, Foo Fighters, Muse, The Who's, Beastie Boys, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Depeche Mode, Pink Floyd, The Pillows, Rage Against The Machine, Nirvana, Paradise Lost, Corrosion Of Conformity, (Some) Dream Theater, AC/DC, Alien Ant farm, Finger Eleven, Ash, Jimi Hendrix, Audioslave, Massive Attack, etc
Dance (most 'non-euro' crap):
Daft Punk (Listen to Alive: 2007 2CD album! Their three albums are actually loops and samples, since those tracks on those albums were created to be mixed, and Alive: 2007 is that!), Basement Jaxx, The Chemical Brothers, Ministry Of Sound (Chillout Sessions, Fifteen Years), Global Underground, (Some) Euphoria, Air, Leftfield, The Prodigy, Hed Kandi (Stero Sushi, Twisted Disco), Tokyo Project, Mike Oldfield, Unkle, Gatecrasher, Cream, Jamiroquai, etc.
Japanese (Various, mainly soundtracks from Anime, and Japanese Drama):
Of worthy note is a band (listed in the Rock section) is 'The Pillows'. Very good music, if you want to try something different. Most J-Rock bands are terrible, but The Pillows are very original.
For weird, but very cool dance/driving music, try the Super Eurobeat soundtracks. Mainly from the Anime 'Initial D', these dance tunes are very fast, hard, and bassy, but still have loads of detail in the mid and high ranges.
||Archery, reading books (Stephen Kings's 'The Dark Tower Series: I-VII, Jung Chang's 'Wild Swans' & 'Moa'), watching Anime (Japanimation), films (Various), the pub, etc.
TheOneInYellow's Recent Activity
Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread
TheOneInYellow posted in this thread in Headphones (full-size) Yesterday at 11:08 am | 393 replies | 26747 views
ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
TheOneInYellow posted in this thread in Portable Source Gear 5/24/16 at 1:36pm | 8749 replies | 756958 views
Audeze's 2016 revamp, re-voiced and re-engineered headphones, the entire line (except Sine and EL8 Ti; these have...
TheOneInYellow posted in this thread in Headphones (full-size) 5/10/16 at 6:41pm | 203 replies | 12180 views
Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
TheOneInYellow posted in this thread in Headphones (full-size) 5/6/16 at 11:41am | 6106 replies | 620281 views
Obravo ERIB2a UK Tour
TheOneInYellow posted in this thread in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear... 5/6/16 at 11:26am | 68 replies | 1765 views
Double Helix Cables Thread
TheOneInYellow posted in this thread in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers,... 5/6/16 at 7:16am | 972 replies | 117676 views
iFi Audio "Pro" desktop line discussion thread
TheOneInYellow posted in this thread in Dedicated Source Components 4/19/16 at 12:26pm | 1221 replies | 195688 views
ifI iCan Pro - Upcoming Dedicated headphone amp release.
TheOneInYellow posted in this thread in Headphone Amps (full-size) 4/19/16 at 8:06am | 46 replies | 2411 views
iCAN micro SE – (thanks to Meze - you guys are great!) Things are a rockin.
TheOneInYellow posted in this thread in Sponsor Announcements and Deals 1/12/16 at 7:19am | 416 replies | 23441 views
1 albumsView All Photos
TheOneInYellow’s Embedded Photos
11 albumsView All Photos
Audeze's 2016 revamp, re-voiced and re-engineered headphones, the entire line (except Sine and EL8 Ti; these have updates as standard)
Latest upload: Apr 6, 2016
Latest upload: Apr 26, 2016
Latest upload: Jan 11, 2016
Latest upload: 3 days ago
Latest upload: Apr 16, 2016
Last Updated 4/11/16
Last Updated 1/3/12
Last Updated 12/29/11
Last Updated 12/29/11
Last Updated 12/29/11