Head-Fi.org › TheOneInYellow's profile
|Forum Post Count:
||1 day, 21 hours ago
|Interests (Hobbies, favorite activities, etc.):
||Music (Rock, Dance, Japanese); Films; The Pub; Books; Gaming; Archery
|What I do for a living:
||Current (Reverse chronological):
- Audeze EL8 closed back (with aftermarket heapdhone cable from [REDACTED till end of June 2015 ;) ])
- KEF Audio M500,
- Polk Audio 4Shot exclusively for online gaming via Xbox One,
- AKG K 712 headphones.
I should add that I augment my headphone audio experience by using the SubPac S2 setback tactile bass system. Please see Other Audio Equipment for more info.
Current (Reverse chronological, not in use):
- Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro (with optional Custom Headset Gear accessory),
- Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's,
- AKG K 701 headphones with gel earpads,
- Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro IEM's (Comply TX-500 Foam Tips) and FiiO RC-UE1 recable,
- Etymotic Research ER-6i IEM's (Foam eartips),
Previous (Incomplete, headphones long since gone/broken/lost):
- Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro (Double Flanges/Foam
eartips). Lost left ear monitor. :(
- Sony MDR-EX90SLB.
- Philips SHE8500 (I think...).
- x3 Sony MDR-EX71SLB. First one was an original Japanese import sold by a UK Sony Centre, but I abused it heavily. Second pair was an European mass produced version with inferior cable sheathing that cracked with sweat and skin oil. Third pair was a replacement for the second pair, but had same poor quality cable sheathing problems.
|Headphone Amp Inventory
- iFi Audio Retro Stereo 50 vacuum tube DAC/amp/headphone amp/phono/Bluetooth/NFC,
- CEntrance HIFI-M8 iDevice 4XL version with a 4-Pin XLR jack, TRS jack, and a combo 3.5mm/optical jack.
- When playing either on my Xbox One or Xbox 360 solo games, I set my consoles into Dolby Digital bitstreaming mode and use Turtle Beach EarForce 7.1 DSP Dolby Digital Headphone sound processor. The signal, via a 3.5mm male-to-male Zu Audio interlink cable, fed into my iFi Audio Retro Stereo 50.
Current (Reverse chronological, unused):
- JDS Labs C5 Red Slate with custom anodised artwork and name on casework.
My backup amp,
- NuForce Icon Desktop Amplifier with DAC (not used) and headphone amplifier. Has original 23w PSU,
- JDS Labs c421 AD8620 original pre-production model, original gain settings and original casework. One of the jacks was broken, which over a year later was sent back to be fixed (but no parts to change the gain settings were available, so gain settings remained the same) and new casework.
- JDS Labs cMoy BB v2.02 custom amp with many modifications by John Seaber using superior parts. Has internal toggle switch.
- JDS Labs cMoy BB v2.01 with external toggle switch for boost.
- Lenovo G510 Intel 4th Gen quad-core Core i7 laptop with 1TB internal HDD and 8GB RAM. A 3TB internal HDD is externally located with my music and interfaced with laptop via an Inatek USB 3.0 HDD dock.
Audio is connected to my laptop via three pieces of USB gear (see Cable Inventory).
- High Resolution Technologies (HRT) dSP device. Only used in conjunction with my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 when going ultra portable (KEF Audio M500 on-ear headphones are used).
- 2007 6G iPod Classic 160GB (1st version, no revision).
(The 3rd version, 2nd revision is often confused as the 7G iPod Classic). This is fed into my CEntrance HiFi-M8.
via a CEntrance 30-pin to USB Type-B LOD cable. This is my primary portable setup.
- PC's, all broke. I use my sisters Sony Netbook but primarily to transfer music to my iPod Classic.
- iFi propriety silver speaker cables with Z-connector's (included with iFi Audio Retro Stereo 50),
- iFi Audio Gemini dual-headed USB Cable. Data end is connected to laptop, and power end is...
- ...connected to iFi Audio iUSBPower supply (this is the correct way to use both, taken from an official source inside AMR/iFi Audio!),
- iFi Audio iPurifier; the combined data and power end of the Gemini cable, which is connected as above, is plugged into the iFi Audio Stereo 50 to reduce further any RFI/EMI/etc from the Gemini cable itself,
- Zu Audio 3.5mm male-to-male interconnect used between Turtle Beach EarForce 7.1 DSP sound processor and iFi Audio Retro Stereo 50,
- Generic 3.5mm male-to-male interconnect between one of the two headphone output's of my iFi Audio Retro Stereo 50 (or CEntrance HiFi-M8) to my SubPac S2 seatback tactile bass system.
- Heir Audio Magnus cable for Heir Audio 4.Ai.
- Lambert Audio The Cleaner AC conditioner from Indiegogo campaign.
|Other Audio Equipment
- iFi Audio Retro LS3.5,
- JohnBlue AudioArt JB3 nearfield speakers.
- Logitech Z-4 2.1 Speakers,
- Generic PC speakers of yore,
- Old hifi equipment from my younger years.
- SubPac S2 seatback tactile bass system.
This device allows one to physically feel bass and sub-bass frequencies by way of force-feedback using miniturised actuators. It is attached to the chair of the listener, and you put your back to it.
The control box itself has a bass intensity knob, is battery powered, and is Bluetooth cable!
Connect your amp to the control box line in, and headphones into the control box; the box just passes out the headphone feed unchanged.
However if you have an amp that can drive two or more headphone, then one can be used for headphones, and the other for the SubPac S2.
- Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E soundcard.
- TurtleBeach EarForce DSS 7.1 sound processor for use with my Xbox One Day One Edition or Xbox 360 S Halo 4 LE console (previously Xbox 360 Halo 3 LE console). I bypass the amp section (turn volume to full, or full unity gain) and output this to my iFi Audio Retro Stereo 50.
||Below is an old list, my current favourite pieces of music and genres is far wider, and I am both less naive and no longer a pretentious teenager brat ;)
Rock (all types generally):
Nine Inch Nails, Foo Fighters, Muse, The Who's, Beastie Boys, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Depeche Mode, Pink Floyd, The Pillows, Rage Against The Machine, Nirvana, Paradise Lost, Corrosion Of Conformity, (Some) Dream Theater, AC/DC, Alien Ant farm, Finger Eleven, Ash, Jimi Hendrix, Audioslave, Massive Attack, etc
Dance (most 'non-euro' crap):
Daft Punk (Listen to Alive: 2007 2CD album! Their three albums are actually loops and samples, since those tracks on those albums were created to be mixed, and Alive: 2007 is that!), Basement Jaxx, The Chemical Brothers, Ministry Of Sound (Chillout Sessions, Fifteen Years), Global Underground, (Some) Euphoria, Air, Leftfield, The Prodigy, Hed Kandi (Stero Sushi, Twisted Disco), Tokyo Project, Mike Oldfield, Unkle, Gatecrasher, Cream, Jamiroquai, etc.
Japanese (Various, mainly soundtracks from Anime, and Japanese Drama):
Of worthy note is a band (listed in the Rock section) is 'The Pillows'. Very good music, if you want to try something different. Most J-Rock bands are terrible, but The Pillows are very original.
For weird, but very cool dance/driving music, try the Super Eurobeat soundtracks. Mainly from the Anime 'Initial D', these dance tunes are very fast, hard, and bassy, but still have loads of detail in the mid and high ranges.
||Archery, reading books (Stephen Kings's 'The Dark Tower Series: I-VII, Jung Chang's 'Wild Swans' & 'Moa'), watching Anime (Japanimation), films (Various), the pub, etc.
TheOneInYellow's Recent Activity
Double Helix Cables Thread
TheOneInYellow posted in this thread in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers,... 7/1/15 at 2:51pm | 782 replies | 92280 views
iDAC2 is here. #1 Winner is......(page 30) Also FREE DSD/PCM album (see page 21)
TheOneInYellow posted in this thread in Sponsor Announcements and Deals 7/1/15 at 1:13pm | 452 replies | 30739 views
iFi Audio "Pro" desktop line discussion thread
TheOneInYellow posted in this thread in Dedicated Source Components 6/12/15 at 3:29am | 704 replies | 101230 views
Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
TheOneInYellow posted in this thread in Headphones (full-size) 6/9/15 at 3:26pm | 20177 replies | 2788002 views
NOBLE CABLE CONTEST - WIN A NOBLE 6W
TheOneInYellow posted in this thread in Sponsor Announcements and Deals 6/2/14 at 2:11pm | 1213 replies | 47400 views
iDSD micro Crowd-Designed! FREE (PCM/DSD) Sound Liasons album (page 137)
TheOneInYellow posted in this thread in Sponsor Announcements and Deals 4/16/14 at 3:35am | 2054 replies | 234368 views
iFi Audio Products (Various) Upcoming reviews
TheOneInYellow posted in this thread in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers,... 4/12/14 at 12:26pm | 3 replies | 240 views
Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
TheOneInYellow posted in this thread in Portable Source Gear 1/10/14 at 1:20am | 1299 replies | 109924 views
The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
TheOneInYellow posted in this thread in Headphones (full-size) 1/9/14 at 1:29pm | 3953 replies | 375462 views
1 albumsView All Photos
TheOneInYellow’s Embedded Photos
6 albumsView All Photos
Latest upload: Apr 12, 2014
Latest upload: Jun 12, 2015
Latest upload: Jan 9, 2014
Latest upload: Aug 15, 2013
Latest upload: Jul 1, 2015
Last Updated 1/3/12
Last Updated 12/29/11
Last Updated 12/29/11
Last Updated 12/29/11
Last Updated 12/29/11