Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › DISASTER!!! TSA took my amps!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DISASTER!!! TSA took my amps!!! - Page 11  

post #151 of 195
Unfortunately, plainsong, the device that brought down the Lockerbie Scotland 747 was secreted within a common commercial brand cassette/radio unit...

(I keep checking back here, hoping that the amps etc are returned)
post #152 of 195
This episode demonstrates that if you have anything made out of metal that you don't need to sustain your life, don't bring it in your carry-on luggage. Check it in and avoid the hassle.

If you can't do without your amp for a few hours on the plane, then you have patience issues. I'm sorry to be the one to have to say it, but now that Sept. 11th has happened, your pleasure is not first on the mind of the TSA (or me, for that matter). Your safety is.

Grow up. The fourth reich is not coming. "Today my Ipod, tomorrow my child!" Puh-leeze.

No wonder foreigners think Americans are such big babies.
post #153 of 195
gsferri,

that sucks hard. I had post 9-11 travel. when they're not busy profiling me, they're loosing my damn luggage. Over X-mas break I took a trip to see my gf in chicago on dec. 30. Its now long gone and I have to go through their friggen claims dept.

You can't win with these guys and to make it more fun, most of the security guards are major ****holes too.
post #154 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry
This episode demonstrates that if you have anything made out of metal that you don't need to sustain your life, don't bring it in your carry-on luggage. Check it in and avoid the hassle.

If you can't do without your amp for a few hours on the plane, then you have patience issues. I'm sorry to be the one to have to say it, but now that Sept. 11th has happened, your pleasure is not first on the mind of the TSA (or me, for that matter). Your safety is.

Grow up. The fourth reich is not coming. "Today my Ipod, tomorrow my child!" Puh-leeze.

No wonder foreigners think Americans are such big babies.
Not really jeff, we're talking about how much discrepancies there are in TSA screeng. Btw, your statement about metal objects is pretty absurd. Aren't we allow to carry laptop and computer peripherals??? To me, these people aren't even trained to see a difference between pen and pencil, but non-middleeastern and middle-eastern. It's really about how bad airport monitor and screen process is.
Stop with 9/11...Ever since the tragedy, everything has to relate to this terrible incident. Look at the media and the government! They want us to live in fear and paranoia which I refuse to believe. Nothing really improved after 9/11 and iraq war. We just want the airport security to be consistant and just.
post #155 of 195
Yeah, they lost a pair of my skis, but thankfully they found them quickly and sent them to my house the next morning.
post #156 of 195
I hope you get the amps back and then off-topic:

In Finland the people who check your pass and do the security checking when you go trought are customs people, so theyre basicly military officers mostly in airports, then theres the random security people walking around who mostly are ex-cops and ex-military, all trained for the jobs of course.
I have slight fobia about alarm systems and lets say going throught metal detectors freaks me out everytime. I have travelled around europe and few other countries,and I have to say the biggest problems with custom I have had been in east. Bulgarian security was tight as hell they even opened my cd-cases and stuff like that. Another one was Slovenian security, we had traveled in buss throught europe, in Germany they just asked did we have any thing to declare and then let us leave, but in slovenia they opened every bag and searched everything... and we were wondering why there was 8h wait at the slovenian border... no wondering anymore :P
post #157 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD
Stop with 9/11...Ever since the tragedy, everything has to relate to this terrible incident.
Everything related to airport security, yes. My comments stand.
post #158 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry
Everything related to airport security, yes. My comments stand.
So pretend secure is ok, and preferable to real secure? It's ok if they take every little gadget you have, and let the guy with the shoe bombs go through?
post #159 of 195

...

Poorly trained low-wage "security" guards don't instill an atmosphere of safety in me. We need well-trained, well-compensated military/police officials conducting the screening rather than an under-paid staff who lack a real concept of security or defense. Most nations around the world have far better security measures and nations beset by terrorism (Israel) have excellent security with military experts everywhere and exhaustive interview procedures. The current system is a pathetic façade rife with government waste and without clarity.
post #160 of 195
Yep, it's either an important job or it's not. If it's not, the status quo is fine. If it is, we need to evaluate all the TSA employees, fire 2/3 of them, set high standards for employment and performance, enforce them, and pay accordingly. If you want to pay your security people like burger flippers, you're gonna get fries with that.
post #161 of 195
Well, I see this thread is well on its way to going nowhere again...

Has anyone found out anything that might be useful? Or are we going to keep bitching until the thread is locked?
post #162 of 195
I agree. If we're really serious about airline security -- and we should be -- then train and pay accordingly. Make it a desirable government job. You'll get service that angers less people are that is more likely to catch problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elec
Yep, it's either an important job or it's not. If it's not, the status quo is fine. If it is, we need to evaluate all the TSA employees, fire 2/3 of them, set high standards for employment and performance, enforce them, and pay accordingly. If you want to pay your security people like burger flippers, you're gonna get fries with that.
post #163 of 195
Oups...I have completely forgot. I checked not long ago with the security authorities of our local airport and they said that if something is causing security problems they can escort you with the item to your flight travel company and they usually can arrange something like self-shipping back the problematic item right on the spot.

Now the thread can be closed...

Amicalement
post #164 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetic
Oups...I have completely forgot. I checked not long ago with the security authorities of our local airport and they said that if something is causing security problems they can escort you with the item to your flight travel company and they usually can arrange something like self-shipping back the problematic item right on the spot.

Now the thread can be closed...

Amicalement
but what happens if you dont have time to board your plane if you arrange for self shipping, etc? will they compensate you for the missed flight?
post #165 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn
but what happens if you dont have time to board your plane if you arrange for self shipping, etc? will they compensate you for the missed flight?
Disclaimer: I dont use airplane since it's highly «unatural» for hundred of tons of metal to move, in any direction, at several thousands feet in the air....

I dont know the exact procedure before you take your plane. If they check minutes before you go in... in that case what was said to me is completely useless. That said, I would prefer that my airline company had the item and not the airport security guys.

My underlying point was, and still is, that I had doubt about the existence of an opening after the objet was declared suspicious. In strict logic if I were in their shoes I would not let the item go back that fast....: «Shure Mister Bin Ladda we can ship this thicking device back to your cave in no time»....

Amicalement
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › DISASTER!!! TSA took my amps!!!