Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Full review: Sonic Impact T-amp (long)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Full review: Sonic Impact T-amp (long) - Page 2

post #16 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Can I get one for european voltage?
Do you mean European voltage for T-amp?
It takes 12V DC only.
So you need a battery or a power supply that converts 220V AC to 12 V DC.
post #17 of 43
i just ordered one from ecost, It has to be better then my old technics receiver.

I am going to attempt to power norh 6.6 from this amp, my source will be the G08...lol


when It comes in ill run to radio shack and get some connector and wat not. also maybe a power supply.
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart
Now if only some enterprising individual would take the T-amp and do this:

Replace cheap speaker clamps with quality binding posts
Replace 1/8" input with quality RCA caps
Replace cheap pot with Alps Blue Velvet or better

I would spend $200 for such a product if it was encased in a decent-looking chassis that included a quality linear power supply and preferably a detachable power cord - this could be the ultimate K1000 amp.
You mean like these "Clari-T" amps? Unfortunately, they are $400, but it comes with internal 12V sealed lead-acid battery and many mods if that's any consolation...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vinnie...e822/my_photos
post #19 of 43
First of all- I thought this was a truly excellent review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart
Replace cheap pot with Alps Blue Velvet or better
If I understand the tech (and its quite possible I dont- I havent researched it extensively)- the potentiometer wouldn't be important to SQ in a class T amp, because it would only be providing digital information to the integrated curcuit. Thats not to say that the volume level won't affect the SQ- it certainly could, but the only reason to replace the Pot. would be durability, and you probably couldn't replace it with just any Pot.

On another note: Jon L- do you have any links to info on these Clari-T amps?
post #20 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momerath
If I understand the tech (and its quite possible I dont- I havent researched it extensively)- the potentiometer wouldn't be important to SQ in a class T amp, because it would only be providing digital information to the integrated curcuit.
In fact, class-T amplifier still accepts analog input and pumps out analog output. It is not really "digital," except that some transistors switch very quickly between on and off states. It is basically class D switching amplifier. A better explanation can be found here.
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart
Now if only some enterprising individual would take the T-amp and do this:

Replace cheap speaker clamps with quality binding posts
Replace 1/8" input with quality RCA caps
Replace cheap pot with Alps Blue Velvet or better
Yes, exactly!!
post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart
Now if only some enterprising individual would take the T-amp and do this:

Replace cheap speaker clamps with quality binding posts
Replace 1/8" input with quality RCA caps
Replace cheap pot with Alps Blue Velvet or better
Well, look here
It's an aluminum case designed for the T-Amp, it comes with pre-drilled holes. You only have to case it up and add a power supply.
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Well, look here
It's an aluminum case designed for the T-Amp, it comes with pre-drilled holes. You only have to case it up and add a power supply.
Woah! That is very cool, indeed. Didn't take long for an aftermarket industry to be born.

That ampboxAUDIO case looks very well thought out and well constructed.
post #24 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by momerath
First of all- I thought this was a truly excellent review!

On another note: Jon L- do you have any links to info on these Clari-T amps?
The extensive comments/reviews and price/ordering info can be found at

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...587&highlight=
post #25 of 43
Will this work with my Grado80?
post #26 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldWarlock
Will this work with my Grado80?
Sorry, this amp only works with speakers. Or a K1000, which use speaker posts.
post #27 of 43
Thread Starter 
Maybe someone should use low-power class T design and build headphone amps. If the class T chips can drive K1000 well, I bet they will work wonders with real-world phones.
post #28 of 43
Anybody know where this amp can be found in Europe, or the name of a us seller that ships to Europe ?
post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferbose
Maybe someone should use low-power class T design and build headphone amps. If the class T chips can drive K1000 well, I bet they will work wonders with real-world phones.
That is very unlikely. The advantages of "class T" would be lost for a very low power amplification and all it's disadvandages would be magnified and become apparent. "Class T" approach (as for all switching amplifiers) works it's best near the maximum power. It is possible, that this is the reason for the Sonic Impact amp success - it hits the right level spot near it's maximum perfomance point. If it would be 10 times more powerful, it would be not so impressive soundwise.

Alex
post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart
Now if only some enterprising individual would take the T-amp and do this:
There are modders selling altered T-Amps on Audio Circle.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Full review: Sonic Impact T-amp (long)