Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NW-HD3 (full review)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony NW-HD3 (full review) - Page 8

post #106 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyoo
No, "anemic" connotes lacking. And that's not the case with the iPod. The iPod delivers bass that is true to the original sound, not a bloated, exaggerated bass you find in most players today. The only "anemia" might be with respect to low impedance, un-amped headphones, in which there is a low-end roll off with the iPod.
Yeah, a lot of portable headphones are low impedance and the vast majority goes unamped.
post #107 of 859
Too bad about the SonicStage. IRiver products show themselves to the USB connection as a plain HD: so it also works for users of Linux, or any other OS. The Japanese issues are also not a problem in that case. Oh well Sony, great looking products but they never think these little things through.
post #108 of 859
does anyone know what the length of the gap in between tracks is on the HD3 cos i wanna know if its a huge gap tht will ruin my mix albums or if its a lil glitch (which woodnt be so bad)...also im have trouble with the ol' sonicstage (shoddy piece of software {however it did transfer all 40 gigs of my music into it in like 5 mins})...i have a few tracks that arnt recognised as being MP3 when they clearly are...also they have the same bitrate as other tracks in the album which do register as MP3 in sonicstage...what could be my problem?...thx all
post #109 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriyn
ATRAC is only gapless because it is not stored in separate files; i.e. it is one massive OpenMG file that is divided via a sort of electronic "cue sheet" stored within the file.
Not quite...

That'd be ATRAC (the original MD codec). ATRAC3plus (the new incarnation) is actually broken up into separate files for at least the CD implementation and still retains its gapless playback despite individual files.

Spex's Radio Shack phones are probably Koss' Plugs rebadged for Radio Shack, I'm suprised that no one's picked up on this yet.
post #110 of 859
Is there anyone here who has a HD3 and the ability to install the US version of SS 2.3? It's officially out as of yesterday. I'm wondering if it would work with the HD3 since the new version is setup to allow direct MP3 transfer to the Vaio Pocket. I would assume the transfer is at least similar.
post #111 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by daphox
I know many perceive it flat, neutral, & so on. This really doesn't hinder the fact that it really i s anemic. I.e, same can be said 'bout B&W speakers (some series, 600). I know a lot of people love them, the hard fact is that the bass i s anemic on them also. Whether one likes it or not is another matter.
yyoo provided the perfect response.
post #112 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyoo
No, "anemic" connotes lacking.
Ok, then lacking it is.

Compare the output from the same 2 songs "unEQed" (with same phones of choice) from: 1. a sharp MD with an auvi-amp. 2. iPod of choice (you can even give the iPod a favor by using a lossles/uncompressed file).

The result with this comparison will be: 1. compared to a Sharp, the iPod i s anemic. 2. No, the Sharp "auvi" is definately not bloated. Better sound quality can't be found on portables. (Maybe Panasonic's digi-amp?) Definately no go for any Sony.

Belive me, if the iPod got this kind of amp it would be a killer. It's no joke.
(Oh, I love my Ipod, wouldn't trade it for anything else. But the output & EQ leaves a "some" to be desired...
post #113 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage
Spex's Radio Shack phones are probably Koss' Plugs rebadged for Radio Shack.
They certainly are - I got a set of the Koss ones years ago but they got lost in a house move. I was in New York for a conference & saw the Radio Shack ones that were obviously the same product.
post #114 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by daphox
Ok, then lacking it is.
...
But the output & EQ leaves a "some" to be desired...
Whether the bass of the iPod is lacking or not is your call. As stated before, some find it perfect and some find it too faded for their tastes. The decision made is that of an opinion.

In a repeat of what I had posted earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomlordis
Not really, i have heard this argument over and over, i know how my ipod sounded to me and thats enough.
That's fine, anemic bass on the iPod is a matter of taste and you're entitled to your own opinion.

On the other hand, as I was trying to point out earlier, your initial statement
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomlordis
No, but it should be there if present on original recording.
implied that the iPod cuts off low frequencies entirely. That is false.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage
Spex's Radio Shack phones are probably Koss' Plugs rebadged for Radio Shack, I'm suprised that no one's picked up on this yet.
I personally would not use Koss Plugs to review a unit, but that is of course in my personal, honest opinion. Your mileage may vary.
post #115 of 859

COULD WE GET BACK TO THE TOPIC?

COULD WE GET BACK TO THE TOPIC PLEEAAASSSE! I want to know information abou the HD3 not the iPoo. Does anyone on the forum currently own the HD3 and have another review in the works, because i would like to see one that reviews a proper working unit (no offence Mavis but yours doesnt qualify as a proper review). If anyone has this mythological review could they please posy it here asap? I would like a few queations answered if possible please:

1: Does the gap between tracks make the listening experience worse? If i were to play my mix albums on it would I have a huge gap between each track or would it be a little glitch? >>PLEASE NOTE: I want to know this for MP3!!! NOT ATRAC3!!!

2: Do you think that the HD3 looks in any way plasticey and cheap? Is it a good looking piece of equipment? Also, what earphones do you use with the HD3 and do they sound good?

3: Have you had any problems with SonicStage (apart from it being a turd piece of software), because i have appempted to catalogue my 5000 MP3s using it and i have a few MP3s that dont register as being MP3s, and wehn i look at them using winamp they have the same properties as the other tracks in the albums (ie they have same bitrate, source etc) have you had the same problem (THIS GOES OUT TO ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

4: Have you had any major problems with the UI? Does it take a long time to load, find tracks etc? i know these have been answered but using a defected unit.


Thankyou in advance for whoever makes this review or passes comment on any of my queries. Im going to take a look at the thing in the flesh next week but i would like to know if im wasting my time even going to look at it. thanks again. ryan
post #116 of 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by randle
COULD WE GET BACK TO THE TOPIC PLEEAAASSSE! I want to know information abou the HD3 not the iPoo. Does anyone on the forum currently own the HD3 and have another review in the works, because i would like to see one that reviews a proper working unit (no offence Mavis but yours doesnt qualify as a proper review). If anyone has this mythological review could they please posy it here asap? I would like a few queations answered if possible please:

1: Does the gap between tracks make the listening experience worse? If i were to play my mix albums on it would I have a huge gap between each track or would it be a little glitch? >>PLEASE NOTE: I want to know this for MP3!!! NOT ATRAC3!!!

2: Do you think that the HD3 looks in any way plasticey and cheap? Is it a good looking piece of equipment? Also, what earphones do you use with the HD3 and do they sound good?

3: Have you had any problems with SonicStage (apart from it being a turd piece of software), because i have appempted to catalogue my 5000 MP3s using it and i have a few MP3s that dont register as being MP3s, and wehn i look at them using winamp they have the same properties as the other tracks in the albums (ie they have same bitrate, source etc) have you had the same problem (THIS GOES OUT TO ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

4: Have you had any major problems with the UI? Does it take a long time to load, find tracks etc? i know these have been answered but using a defected unit.


Thankyou in advance for whoever makes this review or passes comment on any of my queries. Im going to take a look at the thing in the flesh next week but i would like to know if im wasting my time even going to look at it. thanks again. ryan

The problem you mention with the mp3s i think is to do with the headers having the wrong byte size (i read this on another forum) the solution was to get a bit of software theat allowed you to edit it - im sorry i cant recall the name.
post #117 of 859
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by randle
(no offence Mavis but yours doesnt qualify as a proper review)
No offence taken, but what would would you say my is review is, then, if not a proper review?
post #118 of 859
Can any NWHD users help me? I bought a NDHW1 recently. I uploaded lots of stuff with no difficulty. When I tried to play it, I found that the 'Play Unit' function did not work. This is the function which allows you to select a Group. Album, Artist etc. and have the unit play all the tracks in the unit and then stop. Instead, it continues to play the next lot of tracks in the next group, album etc.

I went back to the shop where I bought it, and they replaced it with an NW-HD3. Unfortunately, this does exactly the same thing.

It seems to me that this is a basic fault in the software driving the system. Has anyoen out there been able to use the 'Play Unit' function? Have i missed something?

Help!
post #119 of 859
About play unit, the unit it plays is the unit inside which you are. So if you want to play only a certain album, you have to be viewing the list of tracks for it before pressing play. If you press when viewing the album name, it will interpret that the current play unit is the whole list of albums for the artist you're seeing. It may seem complicated at first, but when you master it, it gives you a lot of possibilities, especially if you're using shuffle (you can shuffle tracks or albums in the whole player, only for an artist, a group, a genre etc).
post #120 of 859
Hi there,
I'm based in the Uk and am about to buy an MP3 player. I was going to get an iPod but read a review in a national paper here which compared the Sony HD3 very favourably so am now thinking of that. It has been very instructive to read this thread as the review was I now see pretty basic. I'm a novice to MP3 players so like many others here look forward to seeing another review - I think the HD3 just came out here a few days ago so its maybe a bit premature. I commute a lot and bike, so I am looking for a hardy bit of kit - from my perspective I want something with an intuitive UI, decent battery life and that can withstand rush hour - so if anyone can provide more info on the HD3 that would be great.
Merry Xmas to all,
R
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Sony NW-HD3 (full review)