Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Darkest Desires Part V
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Darkest Desires Part V - Page 3

post #31 of 2645
Ved Buens Ende was an avant-garde black metal band with Aggressor from Satyricon and Ulver on drums and vocals; Vicotnik from Dodheimsgard on guitars; Skoll from Ulver and Arcturus on bass. They split up in 1995. Very hard to describe, I think the guitar playing is very strange but really interesting, not typical black metal-type at all. I tend to look for music that is unique, and these guys sure fit the bill.

There is a review here:Aversion Online review
post #32 of 2645
1349 : Haven't been listening to this stuff myself, but I have heard really good feedback about it. May be worth trying out.

Darkangel : Enslaved - Isa is very much like Below The Lights. The prog/dark metal ratio is quite same, even so that I would have preferred a bit more King Crimsonish experimentation. So yes, this is a green light .

Only 20 more hours before Therion (hopefully) begins their set at Nosturi, Helsinki. The same venue where I was seeing Opeth. Oh, memories... I would like to double check that everyone watching this thread has seen Lamentations DVD from Opeth. Great stuff, even though DA might not like it due to the excess amount of Damnation material.
post #33 of 2645

News from eyeteeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeteeth to my email
ordered from theend:
Candelmass - Essential Doom
Fenriz Presents: The Best Of Old-School Black Metal
(thanks KR...)
And speaking of Black Metal the newly arrived 42 lb ATC integrated amp is rocking my world in a world class way.
He wanted to share this with you guys.
post #34 of 2645

Attila returns to MAYHEM

It is hereby official : Maniac is out of legendary black metal band MAYHEM and back in comes Attila Csihar. He will - with immediate effect - take over Maniac's role as front figure. Although many rumours flourished over the past months, nothing was decided until now. The reason for this change in line-up lies in more private matters, but has also to do with Maniac's inability to tour.
post #35 of 2645
Dimebag Darrell's murdered... shot and killed during a show tonight. I'm still in shock that this happened. RIP Dimebag...

Link, but there's many others out there right now.
post #36 of 2645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyears
It is hereby official : Maniac is out of legendary black metal band MAYHEM and back in comes Attila Csihar. He will - with immediate effect - take over Maniac's role as front figure. Although many rumours flourished over the past months, nothing was decided until now. The reason for this change in line-up lies in more private matters, but has also to do with Maniac's inability to tour.
I hope A.C. does not revert to his prior vocal antics.
Interesting news, so thanks for posting.

BTW: I think someone previously mentioned wanting to listen to Gorgoroth.
If so, or for similar bands they could go request at http://www.rothmetal.com/requests.pl

And yet another edit:
A new Tristania song is available for download from:
http://www.tristania.com/main_pages/news/011204_2.htm#
post #37 of 2645
not sure if this is hardcore enough for you guys (i've never heard of 75% of the bands you guys mention in the other darkest desires threads), but currently listening to:

Behemoth - Zos Kia Cultus
and
Death - Symbolic

I do know Mayhem though and have their "Deathcrush" and "De Mysteriis Dom Saathanas."
post #38 of 2645
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel102
not sure if this is hardcore enough for you guys (i've never heard of 75% of the bands you guys mention in the other darkest desires threads), but currently listening to:

Behemoth - Zos Kia Cultus
and
Death - Symbolic

I do know Mayhem though and have their "Deathcrush" and "De Mysteriis Dom Saathanas."

Death are great. "Scream Bloody Gore" changed my life when it was released! Zombie Ritual is one of my favorite songs of all time. The later stuff like "Symbolic" is amazing, but I have been listening to the older stuff a lot more lately.
post #39 of 2645
Thread Starter 
Bunnyears
Yes Mayhem is back from long period of decline, last period of good work was 1997-98 when they released 3 good EPs including Wolf's Lair Abyss.......then big surprise in 2004 album Chimera actually is pretty good and puts them back on track. Not sure what this new line up change will do for future Mayhem releases, but they are back on my radar screen

Diogenes
I eagerly await any new developments with the godlike Tristania (even though they were better with Morten Veland in band), I should mention that recently first two albums were released again with 3-4 bonus tracks on each one from EPs.

Steel102
Not hardcore enough????......who cares about hardcore we want great dark metal! I am not into death metal as much as black metal, but of course have the 1990's work of Death. The final album Sound of Perseverance has to be one of the greatest of that genre ever made, brilliant! I have pondered Behemoth a few times but never got anything by them......what is best work by them?

NP: Bergthron - Faust fur Faust
post #40 of 2645
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacher
Darkangel : Enslaved - Isa is very much like Below The Lights. The prog/dark metal ratio is quite same, even so that I would have preferred a bit more King Crimsonish experimentation. So yes, this is a green light .

Only 20 more hours before Therion (hopefully) begins their set at Nosturi, Helsinki. The same venue where I was seeing Opeth. Oh, memories... I would like to double check that everyone watching this thread has seen Lamentations DVD from Opeth. Great stuff, even though DA might not like it due to the excess amount of Damnation material.
I will get new Enslaved as soon as The End or other domestic store stocks it. Although the new avant BM work is enjoyable I really prefer thier Eld/Frost classic period best.

Therion.....yes report back to us, love this group.
post #41 of 2645
Thread Starter 
PD
Our fledgling ET has made great strides in his pursuit of the dark arts, too bad he cannot share his findings with us now

That integrated amp he recently got definitely looked like it was a quality piece of gear capable of some sweet sounds.
post #42 of 2645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Creep
Dimebag Darrell's murdered... shot and killed during a show tonight. I'm still in shock that this happened. RIP Dimebag...

Link, but there's many others out there right now.
Apparently, it was a shooter who knew him, or was specifically going after him. But 4 others, including the shooter were also killed
post #43 of 2645
RIP Dimebag Darrel....damn...that is just MESSED UP
post #44 of 2645
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel
PD
Our fledgling ET has made great strides in his pursuit of the dark arts, too bad he cannot share his findings with us now

That integrated amp he recently got definitely looked like it was a quality piece of gear capable of some sweet sounds.
who knows?
post #45 of 2645
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel
I have pondered Behemoth a few times but never got anything by them......what is best work by them?

The only CD's of theirs I have are Zos Kia Cultus and Satanica, both of which are in the death-metal style. I find Satanica to be more brutal, while Zos Kia Cultus sounds a bit more laid back and refined. Their guitar work is very good and technical. They sound sort of similar to the band Nile if you've heard of them, except with much less Egyptian sounding parts (the pentatonic minor scale? not sure, any music people know?)

Pandemonic Incantations is more of a mix between Black Metal and Death Metal, I guess it was their "transition" album, so if that sounds intriguing, i'd check it out.


I have not really heard much of their older stuff, as you may know, it was purely Black Metal. Supposedly the album Sventevith by them is decent, but I have not heard it.

They also have 3 or 4 newer albums out I haven't heard, but reviews say they are good too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Darkest Desires Part V