Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Darkest Desires Part V
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Darkest Desires Part V

post #1 of 2645
Thread Starter 
Yes it is time again to renew and give birth to the fifth blasphemous incarnation of dark metal discussion.

I feel like I did many eons ago when DD first started ...........I have discovered vast number of new groups from European continent that are reviving the original Nordic masters blacken musical plague. Mostly from France, Italy, Germany.......but also some from Greece, Spain, Russia, Eastern Europe. Sounds like Nordic scence 10 years ago but just now spreading throughout mainland.

Seems to be consolidation of record companies like Oaken Sheild of France which is releasing all kinds of stuff unheard by me before. Sold mainly by Blackmetal.com, Dark Symphonies initially then sometimes a couple months later they at appear at The End and elsewhere. I have gotten 20-30 new albums in the last 3-4 weeks and I am almost speechless, but will discuss more soon.

NP: Eikenskaden - Black Laments Symphonie
post #2 of 2645
.
post #3 of 2645
Thread Starter 
Astarte - Rise From Within
Got this a couple weeks ago from The End to complete my Astarte collection of 4 albums, I believe this would be third one chronologically and this is probably best one by group. Musically it is synth laden BM similar to Dimmu Bogir "stormblast" mostly mid tempo, has occasioanal blasts with transition breaks to acoustic sections, holds together well and paints a suitably grim landscape upon which the venomous vocals can be laid.

This is all female group from Greek underground as you can tell I really like them since I have all albums now. Vocals by Kintilla are not unlike Angela Gassow of Arch Enemy or Cadaveria of Opera IX good for what they are, could be better if upper and lower octave modulations were mixed into death vocals for more range/variety.

NP: Astarte - RFW
post #4 of 2645
Heard one track from Karl Sanders - Saurian Meditation on FM-radio metalshow, and immediately found my self forced to order the full album. For those who don't know, Karl Sanders is a member from Nile, and Saurian Meditation is his solo album. Pure egyptian/oriental meditative more or less ambient music. Actually it's rather complex, multi-layered and even somewhat dark, but surely not metal. That's why a prog freak like me was immediately hooked .

For those who haven't checked out Nile, you really should try "Their Darkened Shrines" out. Yes, it does have the veeery deep death metal vocals which some dislike, but it does grow on you, and even though there are some slightly less interesting tracks, the best ones are one of the most epic and majestic dark metal compositions ever.

Edit : 10 days to Therion live in Helsinki, ahh.
post #5 of 2645
Thorr's Hammer - Dommedagsnatt

I just got this Doom Metal CD today! I shall post my review after a few more spins.

post #6 of 2645
.
post #7 of 2645
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR...
Thorr's Hammer - Dommedagsnatt

I just got this Doom Metal CD today! I shall post my review after a few more spins.
That chick that sings on Dommedagsnatt looks like she has some Viking blood in her pagan veins.


ET
How are you going to buy all those Xmas presents for everyone now ?
It does simplify things having integrated, class A very warm and rich sounding. Have you tried this already in your home system or are you just rolling the dice thinking it will sound good?

I had a class A Musical Fidelity A100 integrated long ago that looked really cool:
(before that had mosfet MF Synthesis integrated)

post #8 of 2645
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel
That chick that sings on Dommedagsnatt looks like she has some Viking blood in her pagan veins.
Well, She is from Norway

The CD is great! The 1st song has that whole B&B sound with the vocals, except the twist is that it's all one person. For the rest of the songs she uses the classic death doom deep growling style vocals. It's just an EP but this is extremely rare stuff here, plus you get a full concert on the CD-ROM part of the CD in a MOV format. The music is extremely heavy and slow not super slow but slower than most metal of course. The sound quality for the studio tracks is surprisingly good for such a project.
post #9 of 2645
"here have a beer"
post #10 of 2645
Damn, a fifth thread? I gotta go check out how the 4th ended...

Oh yeah, stick a fork in James Hetfield, because I think he's done. I saw Metallica on Saturday and it was an awesome set (Disposable Heroes, Seek & Destroy, No Leaf Clover and The Four Horsemen, only one song off St. Anger), but James was pretty much talking and not singing for half the songs. And someone was saying they heard the drums going at the beginning of a couple songs even though Lars hadn't gotten back to the drum set yet. A sad sight indeed, but I still have some pretty bad whiplash.
post #11 of 2645
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR...
Well, She is from Norway

The CD is great! The 1st song has that whole B&B sound with the vocals, except the twist is that it's all one person. For the rest of the songs she uses the classic death doom deep growling style vocals. It's just an EP but this is extremely rare stuff here, plus you get a full concert on the CD-ROM part of the CD in a MOV format. The music is extremely heavy and slow not super slow but slower than most metal of course. The sound quality for the studio tracks is surprisingly good for such a project.

This is truly a great disc. Nice that they finally repressed it too. Have you heard Burning Witch? When Runhild (singer) returned to Norway, the band evolved into Burning Witch with Edgy59 on vocals. Burning Witch is in a league of their own, and there is really nothing like them. Hopefully this will be repressed someday soon.
Check out http://www.ideologic.org/ for a recent photo of Runhild during a SUNN 0))) gig!
Then Burning Witch broke up and the guitarist Steven O'Malley ( his site is http://www.ideologic.org/ ) form Khanate, which is similar to BUrning Witch in many ways
post #12 of 2645
Thread Starter 
Nehemah- Shadows From the Past
Nehemah- Light of a Dead Star
Nehemah- Requiem Tenebrae

Member of viking metal group Himinbjorg has own group that returns to BM roots with early Darkthrone/Gorgoroth style grim atmospheric onslaught, caustic vocals spew forth evil intonations over dark musical tapestry. One of many artists on French label Oaken Sheild that are continuing the original BM tradition, can be found at Dark Symphonies or Blackmetal.com when in stock. Sound quality is a step up from early Darkthrone while keeping the cold sinister atmospherics. BM is still alive and well but moving away from geographic Nordic origins.

NP: Nehemah - Light of a Dead Star
post #13 of 2645
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Nehemah- Shadows From the Past
Nehemah- Light of a Dead Star
Nehemah- Requiem Tenebrae

Member of viking metal group Himinbjorg has own group that returns to BM roots with early Darkthrone/Gorgoroth style grim atmospheric onslaught, caustic vocals spew forth evil intonations over dark musical tapestry. One of many artists on French label Oaken Sheild that are continuing the original BM tradition, can be found at Dark Symphonies or Blackmetal.com when in stock. Sound quality is a step up from early Darkthrone while keeping the cold sinister atmospherics. BM is still alive and well but moving away from geographic Nordic origins.

NP: Nehemah - Light of a Dead Star
Okay, you talked me into it.
I will check out blackmetal dot com, here in a week or so and pick up something from Nehemah. I have ordered from blackmetal in the past and have been happy with the service I got.
post #14 of 2645
Thread Starter 
Nehemah is just tip of the iceberg..........this is much much more.
post #15 of 2645
To DA:

Slighty off topic but not really

How is that MF player that you have with Metal, without the Bel Canto DAC?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Darkest Desires Part V