- 31 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Denon ah-d5000 Last post on 5/31/12 at 12:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need recommendation for a closed can in $150~$300 range Last post on 10/19/11 at 5:59am in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio-Technica Announces Revised ART Monitor Series, New Open Headphones Last post on 1/28/12 at 10:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- ordered audio-technica ath-a700's on amazon and they shipped a900's! Last post on 11/12/11 at 11:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Replacement ear pads for AudioTechnica ATH-A900 headphones Last post on 9/17/11 at 8:04am in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Edited on 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeEdited on 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaEdited on 1/6/13
Introduction The ASG-2 is Aurisonics' second (official) foray into the world of iems. The guys over at Aurisonics cater primarily to the music professional crowd, and their products are...
My opinions Sound The sound produced by the HD558 is rich, a bit light, and isn't bloated with bass which is a good thing. It has a crisp treble and punchy bass, very great...
Introduction In the past 2 years VentureCraft has been successfully creating amps and DAC/Amp packaged components with their GD-03, Go-DAP 4.0 for iPhone 4(s), and Go-DAP X for their...
A friend of mine needed a new headphone, which was cheap, closed and good sounding. I said to him, dream on friend it will be very tough to find a headphone with those criteria. But then after...
Along with the summary below, I have posted a Youtube video review of the K550. If you like the video, check out my channel for more reviews :) Summary BUILD The AKG K550...
ATH-A700 Review - Page 4post #46 of 543/18/10 at 12:52amHow well do the a700's block outside noises?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #47 of 543/18/10 at 1:29amI guess this is late in the thread. I bought and own these headphones.....I hate them.....shrill midrange and treble. Everything sounds "fake". Very hollow sounding. M50 do EVERYTHING better. So do a slightly modded RX900.post #48 of 543/18/10 at 1:17pmShrill midrange and treble? What source do you have those coming out of? Those are not things that come to mind when I listen to my A700s.
@ehreiyc - They isolate OK, but it depends on what you are looking for. They were fine for me in blocking noise out at the office, but I wouldn't use them on an airplane.post #49 of 543/18/10 at 3:30pmI also have issue with A700. I'm no audiophile, so I don't know if it is weak highs or mids. But the vocals on the A700 is very poor. However, it is good for rock music.
I got A700 in Japan 3 years ago before they were readily available in USA. Had to pay $150+ too. Regret I went thru all that trouble for A700, and now stuck with a headphone that I'm not happy with.
Recently, I started to play with the EQ. If I use "Vocals" or "Pop" in iTunes and iPod, which seems to boost the mid-range frequencies, vocals sounded better on A700.post #50 of 545/15/10 at 9:05am
Follow-up on Audio Technica ATH-A700. I posted couple critical comments about A700 previously. Here is my update impression.
In summary, A700 sounds decent for Alternative and Rock music. Pros: The mid and lows are good. Good sound stage. It is fun to listen to.
However, stay away from A700 if you enjoy listening to singing voice. Cons: Vocals is thin. A700 feels incomplete.
I have had A700 for 3 years now. This is the only headphone I have and use at home. I do have Shure SE420 IEM for use on the go. Recently, my brother purchases Shure SE530, so went over with all my gear and did a comparison with what he has.
Here are the models we listened to:
Audio Technica ATH-A700 (Closed headphones. I had this for 3 years).
Sony MDR-CD900ST (Closed headphones. Sold in Japan only. I bought this and then sold it to my brother).
STAX SR-400? (My brother's. I don't know much about this, other than it is open headphones, pricey, use electrostatic, and has dedicated amp.)
Shure SE420 IEM.
Shure SE530 IEM.
STAX sounds the best. But it is different price point and not a fair comparison. And it is open.
Audio Technica ATH-A700. Fun to listen to. It sounds great for the Alternative and Rock. Plus the sound stage is very good; it is like I'm in the room with the musicians. But like I said above, the vocals on A700 sounds thin. Not a major issue for most Alternative music. But it is lacking if you are into vocals.
Sony MDR-CD900ST. Accurate sound. Balanced across all frequency ranges. But not as fun to listen to. Sound is very 1D. Probably good as studio monitor, but not great for enjoying music.
For me, listening Alternative music, I prefer A700 over Sony MDR-CD900ST. A700 is more fun to listen to. On the other hand, my brother, who listen to variety of music (classic rock, classical, vocals) cannot stand A700.post #51 of 545/15/10 at 3:56pm
I am not a fan of the A700. While I haven't spent a lot of time with them, I find that they are very poor in the highs and midrange. I don't like vocals through them (especially female vocals) and find that they are especially disappointing with anything other than heavier music, and even then I am not particularly fond of them.
In my opinion, the A700 sounds like listening to music housed in a plexiglass box 25-30 feet away from you. Don't confuse that with soundstage though.
The A700 may be a reasonable starter 'phone, but IMO there are others I would consider first. I much prefer my DT770, for example (which is not at all to do with the DT770's extra bass).post #52 of 545/15/10 at 4:26pm
I would agree with the OP that for the price this is a great headphone. And I would also agree that the W1000s best everything I have ever heard. It seems that we, (HeadFi) are split on the vocals, and if there on or off. In my book, on.post #53 of 547/27/10 at 11:47am
I just ordered some A700s for $115 from Amazon.com, and I hope to God that they are as good as the 50 people that gave them 5 stars on amazon say they are. I mean, we can all nitpick, but are these really that bad in the mids (and vocals)? My nice headphones broke a while ago and I needed replacements, and in the meantime I have been using Skullcandy Hesh's (warning: piece of crap) with little satisfaction in the comfort and sound quality departments.
I will write what I think of them when I get them.
- ATH-A700 Review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Grado Fan Club! 14 seconds ago
- › Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice 3 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 5 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) please post your impressions. .... 5 minutes ago
- › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread. 7 minutes ago
- › Is Grado evolving too slowly? 8 minutes ago
- › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP 9 minutes ago
- › the jordan high heels options of any fifth-grade tutorial 10 minutes ago
- › lulu yoga pants for women of all ages 15 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ASG-2 by eke2k6
- › Sennheiser HD-558 by Tr1ckster
- › Go-Dap DD Socket1 (DD/DA Converter) for iPhone & iPod... by AnakChan
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by Marleybob217
- › AKG K 550 by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-40/N Gold | Quad Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones... by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-4SL by a_recording
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by a_recording
- › Aune T1 by teb1013
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Power Corner) by joe