Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Apogee Duet with custom break out cable Last post on 10/5/11 at 9:41am in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- Old (possibly original) Little Dot? Last post on 7/23/10 at 2:14pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Should I use the pico slim as a semi desktop amp? Last post on 7/16/10 at 3:37am in Portable Headphone Amps
- So I need help choosing an amp... Last post on 9/6/10 at 11:51am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp advice for a first-timer Last post on 10/27/11 at 1:37am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
I have been using Samson SR940 for a week now so this review will not be too detailed. It was a blind purchase as there are no helpful reviews available. I bought two headphones; Beyer DT880 pro...
This Headphone have Very Good and Smooth Mid / High, Good Bass response. Cold-side, Analytical, Overall Clarity made this Headphone Shine, Bass may lack on some track or Not enough for some...
I recently traded my ATM-50's since they unfortunately lost lower frequencies and started crackling in the left ear. So I thought "Why not try something different". I was looking for something to...
Intro This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great...
Post pics of your builds.... - Page 618
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Team ϟϟ ! Got to give them tubesters a worthy retaliation!
Over 300 parts, 14W power consumption, bandwidth well in megahertz range so some limiting input filter must be used to tame the beast.
Long live Wooden Amps !!!!
Gotta give it up for that build.
Thanks, man! Here's some scarce info on the project - http://sjostromaudio.com/pages/index.php/hifi-projects/129-qrv08-headphone-amp
I've heard that the BOM can be put together for about 250$ on your side of the pond. For me... more like 400$. Still it's very cheap for that kind of an amp.
Oh, and then there's the soldering...
and then there's soldering.... you say.
I have meat hook hands. I was lucky to get 20 odd 0804 components working.
Oh my god, this is beautiful. Just plain gorgeous. I hope it gets a nice enclosure to live in!
I've been bogged down with other projects that I'm working on (particularly a high end electronic-cig driver board with micro controller controlled VV/VI/VW settings and other such fanciness.
I checked out the page you linked for the qrv-08 and I think I'm in love. I was in the beginning stages of designing a high-end discrete SS amp, but looking at this, I think I might give it a go first for education's sake.
Any info, full sized schematics, even better, board layouts would be hugely appreciated, since every image on the site that you linked seems to only be available in low res (I couldn't download the pdf files)
Props to you mate, that thing is such a beast, I love it!
Team SS FTW! (not sure how I feel about the ϟϟ symbol though, its a little too nazi-ey for my liking :p)
Apologies for my typing, I have a pinched nerve in my arm thats really not helping my dexterity at the moment (and also making soldering a total beotch :()
Edited by crispchicken - 8/26/13 at 12:27am
Ha, I'm just pulling everyone's leg with the sieg runes! You should see the faces of some neo-commie guys I've trolled with pictures of old Russian rubles with swastikas printed on them. Both of these are harmless symbols - sieg means "victory" and the swastika has plenty of good associated with it. A real shame that some idiots decided to take them for themselves, but oh well...
Regarding full size schematics and other info - I'm bound by a contract to not reveal them. You can figure out the topology by looking at the small schematic, really. If you can't then the big one won't do you much good. The bom is pretty straightforward as well - I'm sure you could populate the board for 250$ or less.
Tha amp itself is basically two modified diamond buffers stuck together. Due to low psrr it needs extremely clean juice therefore quad shuntregged PSU's are a must. 2/3 of the board are taken up by the PSU's. The real ising on the cake is the current feedback loop - not many audio amplifiers use this.
In any case - I like the sound very much, even more than my Dynalo. Also it;s like 4x smaller than my Dynalo. Now to get a nice box for it. I might actually omit the volume pot because I'm looking to get a Violectric V800 that has digital volume control.
Thanks for writing, Chris! Hope you get your arm situation sorted out!
Amen! I've always loved the look of exotic woods paired up with electronics. Seems stylish and elegant. And woodwork and electronics are two things I'm not afraid to dive into (not so literally! lol).
While metal and wood combinations are sexy, the wood amps really get me!
My wife likes to Bake, I like to build CIEMs, and I think Speaker Cabinets will be something I want to get into as well.
My soldering tip.... really for me the secret is the "Tip." Keep it very very clean and it helps make soldering much easier. Radio Shack sells a tip cleaner ($10).
Edited by FullCircle - 8/28/13 at 4:01am
- Post pics of your builds....
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives... 1 minute ago
- › Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp 1 minute ago
- › VSonic VSD1/VSD1S Reviews/Impression Thread 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 2 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 4 minutes ago
- › AKG new headphone K545? 4 minutes ago
- › Ever seen an Open-back LCD-XC? 4 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › Samson SR950 by Emid
- › TDK BA200 by kimvictor
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by Misterbushido-
- › Ultrasone DJ1 by HybridBlinds
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by SocialCapital