Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Post pics of your builds....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Post pics of your builds.... - Page 293

post #4381 of 9594
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiatrob View Post
Audio Catalog

Or sometimes on ebay...
So you just used one of the rings from the protective cage.
post #4382 of 9594
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-DiV View Post
So you just used one of the rings from the protective cage.
Yes (thanks waitrob), since you can roll a lot of tube types in this amp, only using 1 of the 3 rings in a protector (to not inhibit tube rolling).
post #4383 of 9594
here's an AMB gamma1 usb driver board, configured as a usb to spdif (both opto and coax) converter.

its self powered (usb bus) and both outputs are active at the same time. it supports up to 16bit/48k rates (usb1.1).

post #4384 of 9594
^ Very nice work indeed!
post #4385 of 9594
Alright, I couldn't stop messing with it. Now it's really, really done. I swear.

Switched out LE2 to be an amber tube uplight, fab'd opague window over LE1, attached tube 'rollbar.'



Done. Really!



Promise, last you'll see!
post #4386 of 9594
A single ended Opus DAC. Cost just under $300 (keep in mind I burned $50 on two Sonicaps )



post #4387 of 9594
Quote:
Originally Posted by rds View Post
A single ended Opus DAC. Cost just under $300 (keep in mind I burned $50 on two Sonicaps )
Looks nice, congrats, but GET THAT GROUND WIRE AWAY FROM THE CENTER PIN OF THE TRANSFORMER!
post #4388 of 9594
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiatrob View Post
Alright, I couldn't stop messing with it. Now it's really, really done. I swear.
Looks very good , especially like the wood and the "e12" indicator - nice touch ..dB
post #4389 of 9594
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenAngel View Post
Looks nice, congrats, but GET THAT GROUND WIRE AWAY FROM THE CENTER PIN OF THE TRANSFORMER!
Never fear, that is just a convenient way to ground the case
post #4390 of 9594
Quote:
Originally Posted by rds View Post
Never fear, that is just a convenient way to ground the case
It also creates a shorted turn for the transformer and that's NOT GOOD.
post #4391 of 9594
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenAngel View Post
It also creates a shorted turn for the transformer and that's NOT GOOD.
It does look suspiciously close, but only one end of the "loop" is connected to ground
post #4392 of 9594
I think he means if grounded at both ends, which it is!!!, the bar through the middle is acting as a winding in the transformer creating a potentially dangerous situation! IE: only one end should be grounded and as the case is grounded no other connection should be made... well that's how I understand it but I may be wrong!!
post #4393 of 9594
As I understand it, rds is safe as long as his cap for the transformer is separated from the transformer by a gasket. The location of the connection is not optimal nor recommended IMO, but it's not a shorted turn from what I can see (and assuming that gasket material was used).
post #4394 of 9594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebby View Post
As I understand it, rds is safe as long as his cap for the transformer is separated from the transformer by a gasket. The location of the connection is not optimal nor recommended IMO, but it's not a shorted turn from what I can see (and assuming that gasket material was used).
Maybe so, but there are several other places that he could have grounded the IEC to the chassis without using the transformer bolt. For instance, any of the standoffs.
post #4395 of 9594
Even if it isn't a shorted turn. Using the transformer's mount as the connection spot usually adds noise to the signal. If he used an insulator in the mounting hardware, so there isn't a shorted turn, and he can't hear any noise, he should be fine.

If it was me though, I would find another spot to ground the power plug.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Post pics of your builds....